Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just found that I have a crack in my exhaust manifold. Its been causing me problems for some time and it is time to fix it, but I was thinking of replacing my whole exhaust system with a new aftermarket one. One problem Ive found is that the manifold and cat convert are one peice (or so the dealer tells me) and I cant seem to find anything online for sale like that. So my question is has anyone replaced their exhaust from the Manifold to the tailpipe, and what did you use? Its a 2000 Elantra with California Emissions, Im not sure if that matters. Excuse my ignorance Ive never actually tired to fix my own car before.

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
hrmm, you might find more info at www.hyundaiperformance.com
The reason I say this is that this site specifically caters to people with 2001-2003 elantras. not that you arent welcome here, I just think you'd find the other site more suited to your car. HVE supposedly makes a good header, and there are some decent cat-backs out for your car. you'd have to custom-fab the area between the header and the cat-back though

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I found a couple of headers on shark racing that fit my car just a little scared to instal without that attached cat convert. I dont want to make my problems worse.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Some 2000 elantras have 2 cats just like the 01-04, and I guess yours is one of them.

If you get headers, you have to deal with CEL lights that will come on. There are a few solutions to this but non of them are perfect. Plus I hear they're real strict about emissions over there in Cali.

Personally I wouldn't mess with headers. They don't produce that much gain on our engines anyway. Just go to the dealer and get the manifold replaced. a nice Cat Back Exhaust System would be good enough.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
What are you being quoted for parts? You can get what you need off ebay I bet for less. You barely need to know lefty loosy, righty tighty to replace the manifold and cat. It's like 10 nuts to take off and the 2 bolts for the 1st cat to downpipe. You may have to have those cut with a torch.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, it does have two cats but im in upstate new york, I dont think emissions is very strict here and no one will be checking it anytime soon anyways. The dealer quoted me 850 for the new manifold and it is a very easy job Im just afraid to get a used one because it would be a bummer to get another cracked one. Id like brand new headers but Ive found that when buying aftermarket there is only one hole for the 02 censor and I have two so I would have to drill a new one. I did find a good deal on ebay there is a guy with an 99 and 01 that he is parting out. Hopefully I can get my hands on that one. Do the CEL lights bother the car as far as performance or is it just the light turning on? 1,000 bucks just seems like a lot to pay for such an easy job when I can get a full aftermarket for about 600. Does anyone know if the Tiburon manifold and exhaust for an 00 2.0L is the same as an 00 Elantra GLS?

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Get the header then. You will have to have another bung welded in. No biggie. Do it exactly like evil has it and you should not get a cel. PM him and he will be able to give you the step by step set up. You will only have to get a muffler and the exhaust pipe bent. If you were looking at 800-1000 then you should be real happy with $500 for the whole set up w/header. Plus gain 5hp. You'll never have to worry about a cracked manifold again. And evil and some others he has helped do not have cel's.

·
Registered
454 Posts
XDGT03 said:
Get the header then. You will have to have another bung welded in. No biggie. Do it exactly like evil has it and you should not get a cel. PM him and he will be able to give you the step by step set up. You will only have to get a muffler and the exhaust pipe bent. If you were looking at 800-1000 then you should be real happy with $500 for the whole set up w/header. Plus gain 5hp. You'll never have to worry about a cracked manifold again. And evil and some others he has helped do not have cel's.
I will sell you my secret for ...........................................

ONE MILLION DOLLARS muahahhahah muahahahhhah.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ive found a 4-2-1 header on ebay that actually has two holes. I'll just have to leave one of the cat converts off, hopefully this wont cause any problems. I really liked the idea that my car was better than most for the environment with two but my wallet is telling me that I dont have a choice. I also found a cat back exhaust system that Im going to put in. Evil, any info you have that can help would be great. Thanks for your help all. Ill leave a post of how everything went. Before I buy I want to know though if anyone has used parts from ssautochrome on ebay.

·
Registered
231 Posts
a header with 2 holes won't do anything. the second hole has to be made after the second catalytic converter. there were a lot of threads on this on the old forum so if you want detailed info you could search it over there.

if you are getting headers just get one with one O2 sensor bung, and get another one added when you put the cat back exhaust.

Since you don't have the working exhaust manifold to go back to for inspections, you have to either do this or find a place that would just let this go for you.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
you will have to use the oem second cat to avoid a cel. at least everyone I know that doesn't have a cel uses the oem second cat.

BTW, I had the reflash of the ecu done at the dealer. I had them check the second o2 sensor graphically. Everything works really well except there is too much fluctuation when coming off of throttle. This throws the code. I think that the oem cat keeps the fluctuations within the proper limits

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
I'm curious. Does the CEL come on and stay on ALL the time? Or does it just come on now and then?

Axel

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
it comes on and stays on for the most part....

it'll go away every now and then and every time you reset the ecu, but 99% of the time, its on.

shawn :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The New Headers are on and the stupid stuttering has stopped. YEah! I bought the header with two holes and installed that Test Pipe Cat temp. Put the O2 sensors in the already made holes well see how long it takes for the CEL to come on. One problem I had was that the flex pipe is bent more than 90 Degrees therefore the pipe rubs on the frame and doesnt let the pipe sit flush with the headers and seal. Im going to have the local shop put a new cat back system and real cat convert on in the near future hopefully they will also find a way to fix that leak. ANy body ever use a high temp silicon on their exhaust? Love the power and since my car is California Emissions I already have like two silancers so the noise really isnt that bad.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
While doing an oil change this past weekend, I noticed the O2 Sensor location on my car. It's right behind the flex-pipe, but BEFORE the second cat. So shouldn't I be able to remove the second cat without getting a CEL?

I guess the only reason the CEL comes on with a Header is cause you're removing the first cat.

Axel

1 - 16 of 16 Posts