Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
06 GT Silver 5M
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK this is an odd set of questions. One, does a bigger tire in general improve gas milage? Two: wether it was a beniefit or not, can I use my existing rims to add 17 inch tires to my car is this going to just be annoying or well can it be done and not be a negative? Ya, all thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Firstly I'm not to sure I understand your question. From what I can tell, though, is that you're curious to know if bigger tires will fit on you 15" rims, and if so, will they improve gas mileage.
Firstly, do some research on tire sizes and info, so you know what all the letters and numbers mean that you'll find on your tire's side wall.
Now, you could mount larger tires on your rims but they wouldn 't look that good. They'd make the tires look more like they should be on a small pickup, and they'll raise the ride-height of your car, which in turn, raises the centre of gravity which is bad for overall handling. You can't mount tires made to fit 17" rims on to your stock rims.
I'd suggest going to www.tirerack.com to find useful information.
Hope that helps.

·
Registered
231 Posts
putting a tire made for 17" wheel won't be annyoing at all, as it is impossible to do so from the beginning...

there is no reason for anyone to put bigger than stock tire on the stock rim. this will only result in horrible handling and decrease in wheel torque.

the POSSIBLE improved gas mileage will also be almost invisible... i just don't see any reason why anyone would want to do this.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Yeah, just research a bit on tire sizes and stuff. Keep in mind, the closer you are to stock settings, the better. If you have too big of a tire, your speedometer and eventually odometer readings will be incorrect.

Taken from the old XD site:

When shopping for wheels, keep in mind that you need 4x114.3 bolt pattern. The offset anywhere between +35mm and +45mm should be fine. Another thing to remember is that you will need hubcentric adaptors. Otherwise, your car will vibrate when you go above 50-60 MPH. Elantra’s hub size is 67.1mm. Reputable sellers always include hubcentric adaptors with the wheels if you let them know what ca you need them for. If your wheels came without hubcentric adaptors, you can get them from Discount Tire or any other major wheel/tire shop.
Stock tires are 195/60/15. Please, use this calculator to find the tire size for your new wheels that will keep the overall diameter close to stock. Here are several suggestions:

15” wheels - 195/60/15
16” wheels - 205/50/16
17” wheels - 205/45/17
18” wheels - 215/35/18
Why would you want to keep the same overall diameter? Well, by changing the overall diameter, you will change your speedometer and odometer reading. In addition, you will change gearing which will result in slower or faster acceleration (depends if you go with bigger or smaller diameter than stock).

Oh and this should help you too:

http://gs.tolan-hoechst.com/tirecalc.htm

Hope this helps in your search.

·
06 GT Silver 5M
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool! thankyou everyone for the info :) guess im saving up for good rims.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want to keep the stock rims you could put 245/50/15 and flare out the wheel well and I am sure you would have an awsome look...

Speedometer would not be affected that much less than 2%

1 - 7 of 7 Posts