Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have recently acquired a Garrett Gt25 and a few other assorted parts from Bill (Black02xd) <---Spellcheck me there. Props to him for a very fair price on some decent equipment. My Aem Fic came in today (in a Penske rental truck because the FedEx truck broke down...I chose not to take this as a bad omen..), and I am about to fabricate the harness for it within the next day or two. I've been reading several books and lots of other literature specifically for tuning and I've gotten my confidence pretty high. I'm going to toy around with the tuning for a few days (possibly pull a couple extra horses pre-turbo install)...So I can get used to the setup for when it really matters. I'll be mounting the intercooler this week so I can hopefully figure out the best way to route all of the pipes and also get any necessary extra piping. Basically I am trying to get as much done as possible so I can put my car up on a lift at work..Drop the pan..And get the oil fitting welded on in the same day. I am just waiting on a boost gauge and the pods in the mail! Going to (hopefully) be running 8-10 psi until i can find the time and money to get the low comp pistons in and rebuild/beef/clean the head.

If anyone has a great turbo exhaust laying around by chance...PM ME.

Here are a few pictures of all my stuff...And also my halo/hid headlights version 3
I have studded leds rings in the high beam lens, and ccfl rings in the headlights (because the horrible Chinese solder on the leds melts from the hid heat)
+ 12000k slightly purple glare hid bulbs.

My ears are wide open for any sensible advice/suggestions you all may have...Thanks in advance!

car2.jpg car1.jpg car3.jpg image.jpg

·
Registered
270 Posts
Looks like a great project. I'll be turboing my 03 Elantra GT in April. I've decided to install a decompression plate and see how that handles around 6-8psi of boost. this will lower my compression ratio safely without going through the hassle of installing pistons. What are you planning to run as far as injectors and computer system? I bought a GReddy Emanage and am looking into 400cc injectors.

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
I wouldn't worry about an exhaust right off the bat. In other words, don't hold back your build because you can't fine one. If you don't find something by the time it's ready to go, get one built by a local shop. Go 2.5"-3" mandrel bent.

As for tuning, don't get greedy. Knock is the number one killer. Keep your AFR's (I see your AEM UEGO, good.) around the high 10's. Don't try pushing it into the 11's, not yet anyways. Also, don't run it too rich either, you risk other problems. I'm sure you know, when you start the initial tune, run as low boost you absolutely can. One tunes for low boost, then raises the pressure and fine tunes accordingly, not tune for higher boost right off the bat :)

Check for boost leaks, and fix all of them should there be any.

Also, what are you going to be running for a fuel system? Injectors, pump, AFPR, etc.

·
Registered
270 Posts
My local performance place suggested I get a GReddy Emanage. It may just be what they are familiar with. I hear a lot of people saying that they wouldn't recommend them however.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have 38 lb injectors (right around 400cc), a wahlboro..either 190 or 250 (have both)...I have the regulator as well.

I heard bad things about emanage as well...Even worse on our cars. But I haven't personally used it so you may be a-ok.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Looks like a great project. I'll be turboing my 03 Elantra GT in April. I've decided to install a decompression plate and see how that handles around 6-8psi of boost. this will lower my compression ratio safely without going through the hassle of installing pistons. What are you planning to run as far as injectors and computer system? I bought a GReddy Emanage and am looking into 400cc injectors.
No need for a decomp plate for only 8psi.

·
Forced Induction Junkie
518 Posts
Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I went out and cut/spliced all the wires I'll need for the fic on the ecu harness...I put connectors on all of them and just reconnected them to move my car...It got dark and started raining :[ Anyway, I followed the alldata pinout as well as the final edit diagram member(s) made here...I know I got all of the pins correct, but some of the wires were different colors. Is this normal? Seeing as i just put connectors on and reconnected there are obviously zero problems at this point...Just something a little concerning. I am 100% sure all of the correct pins are now spliced/accessible...But one or two of the wires were not the color specified. I'll have to go out with a meter if i have any problems of course but figured i'd see if anyone has had the same problem.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
You know what would go great with that setup? A nice low miles Maintec Equal Length Race Manifold. Ditch that craptastic log style.. :) PM me if your interested...and I'll give you a SUPER deal. :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Dam Dave! always selling good stuff at wicked prices when I can't buy! Lol hmm....would a 16G turbo bolt up to that? PM me details, pics etc and I'll decide if I wanna starve this month

·
lag, lag, lag, bye.
1,309 Posts
What hotside do you have on the 16G? DSM flanged? If so, it won't work with his manifold, which appears to be T3.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No need for a decomp plate for only 8psi.
but it will be much more reliable with it in the long run. Im going 50k miles and still strong on my turbo set up. And lets be honest for a min. these cars are not exactly known for there "stock" strength.

·
Registered
270 Posts
From what I've heard from a variety of sources (including Chris), I feel that the decompression plate is a must! I'm counting down the days until April so I can finally start this project!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Yeah tell that to the 350zs, maximas, altimas, accords, civics, bmws, toyotas, and my favorite...Scions that I've beaten. I took on a new 180hp stock scion and dude had an intake headers and exhaust...Hm. I work on Mercedes and I'll tell you there's only a couple (mostly amg models) that even come close to being as fast as our cars.

Oh and the 148k on my odometer.

And embarrassed that new scion^^^

Besides the beta + beta 2's were built for turbos but Hyundai *****ed out...They left out forged pistons + went with high comp pistons instead which is really the only weak point. In 05 they went back to mechanical lifters so adjusting them (I.e. keeping the head in order), is very simple...If you change your oil often, keep oil in it, and do all of the other basic maintenance things...These motors are very strong.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
LOL WTF? The Beta motor was not built for a turbo, it was built for a price and to hold up for at least the 100k warranty. That said they are quite STRONG if you know what your doing. I would not recommend a decomp plate for anything below 15psi. Its a waste of money and just adds another failure point. Build it and tune it right and the beta engine will last a LONG time boosted.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Strongest cast iron Hyundai used at the time + forged rods...Strong as hell valve springs. Sounds like a great turbo motor to me minus the pistons. I'll try to cite the article I read that said Hyundai had a couple people designed the motors from mitsubishi and that Hyundai backed out due to the fact that they wanted to assure 100k...Due to horrible longevity and reliability issues in the past, they've been extremely cautious in the last 10-15 years. I've torn my motor apart before to do con rod bearings bc of an oil filter cracked (wtf right)...Did my mains too just because...But everything else even with the con rod bearings as bad as they were...EVERYTHING else was still in spec at 135k and I drive the living **** out of my car. I was going to rebuild the head completely but ended up just putting in valve seals in. And even those were in decent shape. My motor has mechanical lifters and the lash adjustment hadn't been touched in at least 5 years and was still well within spec. My point being is regardless our motors were probably nearly as durable as the new turbo hyundais (once again minus the pistons).

1 - 20 of 53 Posts