Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What other modifications would go real good with a nitrous setup, besides the exhaust? :)

Sorry for being so general.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
hmm... I would say:

#1. any aftermarket intake system. since you'll be using nitrous, the engine bay heat wont be an issue... the nitrous will practically freeze the incoming air so it doesnt matter if there is a slight difference in temps.

#2. A good clutch. go for anything with a stage 3 reading for daily driver use.

#3. tighten up the suspension. Go for a good set of aftermarket lowering springs.

you should be a rocket with a setup like that !!!

dont forget 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers with full exhaust no cats to help get the heat out of the motor.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What about cams? Pistons? Any of the internals. Pulleys and the rest of the stuff. :) I would like to nearly bullet proof my engine so i could run more nitrous than the average bear.. ;)

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
FordFasteRR said:
dont forget 4-2-1 or 4-1 headers with full exhaust no cats to help get the heat out of the motor.
This is one of the main things that's keeping me from going Nitrous. I mean, where I live we don't have Emissions Testing, so not having Cats won't be a problem there, but I know that my CEL will come on. I just don't feel comfortable with this. :(

Ford, you also mentioned getting some good lowering springs to stiffen the suspension a little. I don't want to lower my car, so are there any good Aftermarket Struts I can use in place of these stock ones?

Thanks

Axel

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What I am probably going to end up doing for suspension is getting a nice set of coil overs later on and MAYBE dropping about an inch. But with the body kit I have in mind I'm not sure if that would be such a wonderful idea. Anyhow, back to nitrous ;) Any ideas that might give me a bit more oomph?

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
FordFasteRR said:
you could swap out the stock struts for tiburon gt-v6 6speed struts.
they are tighter than stock.

you could also do what I did which was to install metal spring spacers in the back springs to keep them from compressing as much when you launch...

:)
Putting spacers in the back would raise things up a little. I'm not sure I'd like the way that looks. But going with Tib struts sounds appealing. I take it they're a direct bolt on replacemnt without modifications? That would be awesome. Any idea how much these things go for?

Thanks

Axel

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Sorry 'bout that. I didn't mean for my Post to sound like I was wandering off the subject. I was asking about the suspension upgrade because it will go hand in hand with a Nitrous kit.

Axel

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No problem.. :) I have my nitrous install done now, almost. Gotta run a couple things and then I am golden. Getting my bottle colour matched to my car (LS) and gonna mount it in the trunk. Bottle is at the body shop now. Next weekend getting my exhaust welded on and the tips flushed with the bumper. Having the body shop cut out a spot for the two tips to go through and gonna probably put a chrome partition around the area they cut. The tips are getting painted black to blend under, make it look real nice. Might leave the very tips polished. I'll keep everyone updated. Until now I have been stealth about it. ;)

·
T3/T4
40 Posts
You should treat nitrous as a naturally aspirated modification, not forced induction. Therefore you shouldn't go too big on your intake/exhaust and you will be ok going with lumpy and overlapped cams, as long as they don't overlap too much. The overlap expells boost which is why it's not good, but with nitrous, there isn't much of a loss.

·
Registered
741 Posts
you only need different cams if your going for wild nitrous amounts, like 200 hp. Otherwise, do as JonGTR said and treat it as a NA mod. Any NA cam would benifit you in the same way it would with out NO2 but if you use a progressive controller, you can the nitrous to get back some low end torque.

·
T3/T4
40 Posts
Speaking of, wanna buy my nitrous controller? lol

·
T3/T4
40 Posts
pm sent

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool, I was wondering about the cams because I was told to not really mess with it. But if it's alright to do, then I am probably gonna get some cams because I want a little bit more NA performance. I believe, though, that after I do my clutch the next thing is headers. I already have a high flow second cat and 2.25 inch piping all the way back to the resonator. After my headers I will finish my intake project and then go and do the cams. :) Maybe maybe then pulleys.. Not sure yet. I just wanna be able to outpull a civic si without having to use juice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
or you can do as i plan...

bore the block
forged pistons
stronger rods
port and polish the head
slap some mild cams in
highflow intake manifold port matched to the head and drilled for direct port nitrous
injectors
afc
motor mounts
header
exhaust
and run a multiple bottle direct port 150 shot

thats if the insurance doesnt total the car.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
nx2k1gls said:
or you can do as i plan...

bore the block
forged pistons
stronger rods
port and polish the head

thats if the insurance doesnt total the car.

Holy Shizzle.

I would like to reply to the comment about treating nitrous as an N/A mod..

That is true except for the exhaust portion... nitrous produces tremendous combustion temperatures.... installing any header and a 2 1/2 inch+ exhaust will work wonders when using nitrous and help expel the combustion gasses faster whereby producing quicker rev up time and improves the power output when using nitrous..

Of course the trade-off will be the low end lag produced by the huge exhaust size when not using nitrous...

its only minor and should only slow you down a few tenths when NA but make the car up to 3-8 tenths faster when using nitrous verses the 2 1/4 inch exhaust.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Welcome back, Sam. And thanks for the info guys. I believe I am keeping my exhaust. ;) I like the low end too much to sacrifice everyday driving fun. However, I will be doing headers at some point. Right now I wanna get everything mounted properly and working. Next comes the clutch; Probably next month. I dunno about a stage 3 though. Probably just stage 2. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts