Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Buffalo's Finest
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2001 XD and it has the stock 15" rims on it. I was looking into plus sizing to 17" and the big brake kit as well. I was just wondering what the optimal offset would be to accomplish this. I don't know if it helps, but i was looking at the Tenzo R Apex-5 and the Volk Racing GT-C Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
499 Posts
Somewhere in the range of 40-45mm should be good as long as you are not going with a really wide rim (over 7.5") and tire (over 225mm).
I have 17"x7" wheels with 40mm offset and 205/45/17 tires and no problems at all.

·
Buffalo's Finest
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the quick reply. another question for you. of the 2 wheels i mentioned, is there one you would go with over the other and why? :confused:

·
Registered
499 Posts
I would definitely go with Volk because that's just big pimping! :)
But if you are on the budget or are afraid that those expensive Volks may get stolen, then go with Tenzo-R. They look the same. Tenzos might be a little heavier but they cost three times less than Volks.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
The only problem you might encounter with a big brake kit is that it may only fit with a certain diameter of tire. Once you go 17" you may never be able to go back to 15" without changing the kit.

·
Buffalo's Finest
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good point, but I don't plan on putting the 15s back on. thank you though

·
Registered
11 Posts
What about if you get a flat :eek: , then I guess your Spare wont fit? Maybe fix a flat and take out your spare? I dunno I was thinking about the same thing... :confused:

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
You could always buy 5 wheels and tires and keep the extra in the trunk!
Or check out the brakes that Jay did with the tib calipers and redrilled rotors.

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
The only problem with the tib brakes is that they barely fit under the stock steelies and they won't fit under stock alloys.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
2GTS said:
The only problem with the tib brakes is that they barely fit under the stock steelies and they won't fit under stock alloys.
true....but if your like me and run your stock wheels with snow tires...they are perfect! all depends on what you need

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
As Blue hinted at, the best offset depends on the width of the wheel.

40-45mm is what is recommended for a 7" wide wheel to avoid the problem of the tires rubbing the struts (over 45mm) or the lip of the wheel well (less than 40mm). That range is also influenced by the tire size and the negative camber (if any) that you use. And of course you could get away with less offset for a narrower wheel.

This calculator can come in handy...
http://toy4two.home.mindspring.com/offset.html

1 - 13 of 13 Posts