Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While I was changing spark plugs today, I discovered that No.1 plug was oily, even the spark plug wire boot was oily. I noticed that the wire boot was not fully snapped in.
I searched online and it is said that an oil fouled spark plug indicates an engine with worn piston rings and/or bad valve seals allowing excessive oil to enter the chamber.
But the oil was not foul oil, but clean oil. Is there a possibility that the loose wire connection contributed to oily spark plug or something serious such as worn piston ring or bad valve seal?

·
Hoonigan
96 Posts
I've had the same problem in the past. I just figured Vavoline spilled a little oil when I took my car in to get a change. When I pulled my plugs out the oil just drained into the cylinder and later burned off. Was the electrode end of the plug oily or just the wire side?

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I remember the spark plug was also oily, but it could be from the oil dripping down through the loose boot-plug connection. I might have spilled oil while I was changing oil but it was already a few months ago. I replaced the entire valve cover and gasket recently and I don't think it's from bad spark plug seal in the valve cover. I don't want to believe this is from my worst nightmare: worn piston ring or bad valve seal.

·
Registered
649 Posts
my husbands honda has that exact problem and for him it is the spark plug tube seals are leaking, time to do his valve cover gasket which include the plug seals

as for your hyundai

check out fel-pro VS 50572R and you'll see what i am talking about

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks. I have noticed that NO.1 spark plug hole is right next to the oil filler hole, so it is highly likely that I might have spilled some oil while I was pouring oil. I cleaned the wire boot and the plug and I will check again tomorrow. I have little oil consumption. No blue smoke from the tail pipe. The oil leak from the valve cover dripping down to the oil pan was completely stopped since I replaced the entire valve cover and gasket a month ago.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts