Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, new user here and currently shopping for a GT in East GTA/Durham area (first post actually :>)

I just came from the dealer today and while I feel that he was ripping me off, I wanna ask your opinions on it. I really do think that if I didn't know better I would have ended up getting completely hosed by this guy.

The dealership in question is Ontario Hyundai in Whitby, ON. I went in with the intention of purchasing an 04 Elantra GT, (although I'm still torn between the sedan and hatch). The salesman was very accomodating and seemed like he was being generally helpful, although not really the most personable guy I've ever met. After my test drive it came time to crunch some numbers, and here is where the problems started.

First off was the lease price that he came back to me with seemed really outrageous, especially since I had, just yesterday morning, been looking at the hyundai canada's website at the rates and prices. He came to me with a lease of $269/month for 60 months + taxes (total $310/month), and that was with a trade-in (more on the trade in a minute) and $2500 D.O.D. Now considering the rates that Hyundai Canada has posted in print and on their site, $214/month + tax and $1995 down, I was a little more than surprised. I mentioned my concern and that I had seen a price around $219/month (couldn't remember the exact price on the site) in Hyundai's advertising and he stated that he would try to locate the ad for me.

I then said I wanted to try out the VE sedan to see the difference in suspension/braking/etc... and he went about locating a 5 spd for me. After locating the car, he proceded to, from what I could tell, check his phone messages and then call someone back, all while I'm sitting there waiting for him to pull the car out for me. He eventually gets off the phone (about 5 mins) and gets the car for me and off I go. Well the GT is a much nicer ride than the VE but that's for another topic. :)

After I get back he has all the paperwork ready and printed up. I look it over and re-mention the advertising that I had seen, which he still says he'll try to locate (wtf was he doing in the 1/2 hour I was test-driving?). Looking over the paperwork, I notice that my trade isn't on there and I mention that. He then takes the paperwork and writes my car into it. I look over what he's put in and sure enough, my cars on there, but there's no mention of what they're giving me for it, nor any indication that it's come off the price. When I ask the guy how much they're giving me for my car, the answer I got was (and yes, this is a direct quote) 'not much'. :confused:

Well needless to say I made something up and got myself out of there in a hurry without signing anything. I had left a deposit (which I got back later np). I came home and checked out the prices on the website, and sure enough, $214.00/month with $1995 down.

I'll be looking for a new dealer in the east GTA/durham area if anyone can recommend anyone, I'm going to check out pickering village hyundai tomorrow. I know it was probably just the particular sales guy that I got but man, what a horrible experience. If I hadn't done my homework I feel that I would have gotten completely screwed today :(

Anyways that's my story for what it's worth. Just thought I'd share

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
You really don't have to buy from a dealership in your area. You can buy from one in London Ont (for example), it doesn't really matter, they all will honour your warrenty, I would check around to various ones in the GTA and see if someone would give you a dollar quote on you're trade-in.

On a side note about trade-ins. The price they give you for your old car gets taken off the price of the car Before taxes. Which then will make the car even more cheaper.

Happy Shopping!

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I researched around at diff dealers to come up with a competitve price for my local one. Basically, I called around. I'm in Mississauga, and I called a place as far out as Whitby, and more closer to here, Guelph - why...smaller cities will give you a bigger break on the price. I used to live down by your end - did you call around a place in Oshawa? And/or littler places that'll have dealerships like Bowmanville, Ajax, Pickering, Peterborough - not sure if they have Hyundai dealerships but you know what I mean. Simply get on the phone with the places and be consistant with your words to every person. Say for example,"I'm looking for a fully loaded GT1 package, and want to put $5000 down - what is the best price you can give me, out the door with taxes and everything included." Don't mention your trade in though. Surprisingly, they will either hold you on the line and crunch numbers or give you a call back - every place I called gave me a number and a couple called me back when I didn't go back and get a car from them! Once they give you the price say - "Is that the absolute best price you can give me?? I'm looking to buy today and I'm asking around." You watch what will happen! Don't call your local dealer in this process though - or the dealer you want to buy one from. Get all your other numbers first. Then call back your dealer and say the same thing but add, "well - the dealership at Bowmanville says he can give it to me for $XXX flat. Can you beat their price?" And there you have it. If the dealership you wanna buy from can't lower their price, it's not like you can't get that price elsewhere - so you really can't lose.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks for the advice, I'm going to start calling around now actually. :D

Was I just being paranoid or was this guy trying to snowball me? Seriously, when I left there I had just about said forget it to buying a Hyundai if this was the type of people I would have to deal with to get one.

·
Registered
851 Posts
The $214/month is impossible unless you can get them to seriously drop the sticker price. Based on th $19025, once you add taxes and the $350 aquisition fee, even with the $1,995 down, that's still about $250/month. Almost every car company out there always advertises their prices without including taxes. By the way, I don't know if it'll help or not, but if you're going to call around for prices, call Peterborough Hyundai at 1-800-681-0091 and ask for Randy Wilson and tell him that Stephen Hayes recommended him to you.

·
Registered
38 Posts
here's a helpful site that you can get new car's dealer invoice cost (with a little fee)

http://www.carcostcanada.com/en/

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, since I don't have plan to purchase to buy a new car. But when the time comes, I'll definately give it a shot myself.

Also even if you're planning to lease a car, don't let the dealer do the calculation and give you the number.
You should get the actual car cost, lease rate(interest rate), residual value after lease ends, and then montly payment based on these. If you just get monthly payment dealer gives you, you don't konw what it is based on.

Hyundai cars generally have greater depreciation rate compared to Jap's (for example let's say, Elantra depreciates 60% over 4 years, where as honda civic depreciates 52% over same period). So you're to pay more for the use of the car when it comes to elantra, but the buyback price will be significantly lower though. I'm not saying don't buy hyundai cars. Jap's cars have higher lease rate than hyundai's (1.99% for elancra vs 3.8% for civic). So in the end, it cancels out.
I'm just mentioning this so you get in driving position when it comes to deal for a new car with $tealers. :)

I like GT better (I own VE, auto though), and try to get 5spd (unless auto is a must for some reason)
You can't beat hyundai's new warranty. Hyundai covers entire car for 5 yrs and 7yrs for power trains. You'll be good to go for the entire duration of your lease period (assuming it's 4yrs).

just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your purchase

YJ

·
Registered
95 Posts
YJ2K1VE said:
here's a helpful site that you can get new car's dealer invoice cost (with a little fee)

http://www.carcostcanada.com/en/

I haven't had a chance to use it yet, since I don't have plan to purchase to buy a new car. But when the time comes, I'll definately give it a shot myself.

Also even if you're planning to lease a car, don't let the dealer do the calculation and give you the number.
You should get the actual car cost, lease rate(interest rate), residual value after lease ends, and then montly payment based on these. If you just get monthly payment dealer gives you, you don't konw what it is based on.

Hyundai cars generally have greater depreciation rate compared to Jap's (for example let's say, Elantra depreciates 60% over 4 years, where as honda civic depreciates 52% over same period). So you're to pay more for the use of the car when it comes to elantra, but the buyback price will be significantly lower though. I'm not saying don't buy hyundai cars. Jap's cars have higher lease rate than hyundai's (1.99% for elancra vs 3.8% for civic). So in the end, it cancels out.
I'm just mentioning this so you get in driving position when it comes to deal for a new car with $tealers. :)

I like GT better (I own VE, auto though), and try to get 5spd (unless auto is a must for some reason)
You can't beat hyundai's new warranty. Hyundai covers entire car for 5 yrs and 7yrs for power trains. You'll be good to go for the entire duration of your lease period (assuming it's 4yrs).

just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your purchase

YJ
This is exactly the site I went to get the dealer cost :D
However, with that it hand I got a pretty good deal. Of course, we used my wife's grad rebate and that helped as well. At the time, 2002, they didn't have 0% financing but 1.9 over four years so that wasn't bad. I didn't want to lease but maybe for some of you it might be the way to go. Now with the new warranty packages, why not buy Hyundai!

·
Registered
38 Posts
DanMan,

How did the dealer(s) react when you had the dealer cost in hand and up the price from there not trying to lower it down from MSRP? Were they cooperative and willing to play your game? Just curious.

YJ

·
Registered
74 Posts
Emmortal, wicked post man!

I have been hosed twice by my dealership. The first incident was when I purchased a new 2001 Accent GSi, with auto-tranny. I payed full sticker price, plus got suckered into all the rust-proofing, stain-gaurding, non-sense as well. I put 5 G's down, and was paying about $385/mth over 5 years. Some how I was charged $1800 plus taxes, plus an 'A/C' tax, for an air-conditioning option that I never wanted and never asked for. I think the salesmen slipped a different copy underneath the carbon-copy paper or something, cause I signed for it. Really intelligent on my part. I bought that car in November of 2001, with an interest rate of 4.2%
In November of 2003, I cut my losses with my Accent and traded it in for my 2002 model year Elantra GL. I still owed about 10G's for the Accent, and that is what the dealership gave me for my trade, so it was basically like buying a new car, since they cancelled each other out. Again, I payed full sticker price for my Elantra, a manual transmission, without any of the extra add-ons... and over four years with an interest rate of 7.1%, I pay about $470/mth. I'm the biggest sucker in the world, and people tend to see me coming from a mile away. In my defense though, I had been 19 for two months when I bought my first car... when my parents split, I needed a ride, and I didn't want to burden my folks with more stuff. I went to the dealership on my own, and didn't have any body's help. I still didn't learn my lesson, cause they got me again with the interest rate on my Elantra.
But next time, I'm gonna get a WICKED deal, I can feel it. :abovelol:

Needless to say, you've found a great place to get great information. And remember, just cause you're buying a ride from a dealership, doesn't mean they have to take you on one.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I bought my 2003 Elantra VE 5 speed 6 months ago from Ontario Hyundai and I had no problems with the sales part of the deal it's the service department you have to watch out for. My sales person was Bruce (tall & thin) he was great to work with. I've bought two cars from him.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Elantravision said:
My dealerships service guys are great. Its the sales people that still don't take Hyundai's seriously.
I think Cottonmouth would beg to differ on that point. ;) But you meant at your dealership, right? heh

Emmortal, give Cottonmouth (Graham) a call at Hyundai of Oakville 905-845-7791. I know it's probably far for you, but you would get a great deal from him. He has a tendency to give some special treatment to his car club friends. Others on this site could probably vouch for him too. He's been selling Hyundai's for over 2 years now and is probably one of the more 'Hyundai' knowledgable sales guys around. If you call him, let him know you are from the Elantra XD site. Cause I think usually he will quote program prices over the phone until the customer is serious enough to come in for a test drive.

Happy shopping!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yup, Graham's a great guy who also owns a nicely modded Tib. If it wasn't so far away from me (I'm in Ottawa) I'd buy my next car from him.

I don't know what Hyundai of Oakville's official stance is on modding, but when I bought my tibby sway bar at last year's Hyundai Sunday the parts manager hadn't heard of that particular mod and was genuinely interested about the benefits.

My dealer wouldn't even sell me the bar :mad:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the good word guys. I do what I can. :rolleyes: :D

Your experience sounds kind of funny from the last dealership you visited. But I can't nsay for sure without knowing all the facts. But I will tell you this.... You won't be wasting your time if you DO decide to check us out.

Havn't heard in a while... How did it turn out for you?

·
Registered
95 Posts
YJ2K1VE said:
DanMan,

How did the dealer(s) react when you had the dealer cost in hand and up the price from there not trying to lower it down from MSRP? Were they cooperative and willing to play your game? Just curious.

YJ
I didn't have it hand BUT I quoted them that I would be willing to pay "x" over cost with these options....he did some number crunching and said...we could do it. I smacked myself up side the head :hand: thinking I was in for a long drawn out negotiation but it was less stressful than I thought. However, I think it was the fact that this was a brand new dealership that hadn't opened yet and I just walked in at the right time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Bank Street Hyundai is a great dealership.
Got my car there, my wife used to work in lease dept.
Phone 613-739-7530 and ask for a Mr. Greg Solda. Great salesman, personable, will explain ~everything~ you could ever ask.
The parts dept great too. Never gave me any hassle over my modding.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't know if it's possible to use this sight in Canada or not. Try autobytel.com.

I bought my 04GT hatchback of the site out the door for $10,800. Basically the sight is a middle man and puts you in touch with a dealer in your area. The dealer gets your info and emails or calls you with a price. The price is not negotiable but it is very low. My dad bought his Lexus using the site and saved about $5K

1 - 18 of 18 Posts