Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a GLS without overhead map lights. I was wondering if it's possible to take the map lights out of an '04 and put them in? How hard do you think that'd be? Is it just a matter of cutting the headliner and putting some wiring up there?

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
wow? they made these cars without those? weird.

and it shud be pretty easy.... cut the hole to fit it in there. and run a power and ground wire. the end.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Need to make sure you have the mounting tabs underneath the headliner. It's 4 screws, but its two different levels. Should have the holes, might need the plastic clips.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Aye, us Canadians have to frequently suffer with fewer options on our cars. No sunglass holder or maplights, just a single dome light in the centre of the roof. I've ordered the maplight console in the picture though, we'll see how easily it fits in...

edit: Want to put some LEDs in there, anyone know what size I'd need and (more importantly) where I could find them?

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
I wonder if the wiring is already up there? Could be, if that's the case you might want to get the piece from a 2001-2003 if the wiring harness connector is different. Hard to say.

So you have no sunglass holder either, or just no lights?
Well, for the hatch they had it "pre wired" for the tail lights to wire to the "teeth" on either sides of the plates, so i think they just snipped the wire somewhere and you would be good to go

---------- Post added 04-07-2010 at 08:32 AM ----------

Aye, us Canadians have to frequently suffer with fewer options on our cars. No sunglass holder or maplights, just a single dome light in the centre of the roof. I've ordered the maplight console in the picture though, we'll see how easily it fits in...

edit: Want to put some LEDs in there, anyone know what size I'd need and (more importantly) where I could find them?
www.autolumination.com/194.htm 194 bulbs, here is what I went with in both of my elantras (blue for my GLS and red for my gt)

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
looks like it's the same company (superlumination and autolumination) i remember a few years ago, i spent $60 and re did every interior light in the car to blue leds and had a blue neon in the back seat overhead to make the car all blue interior (except for the lights behind the gauge cluster were red)

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
thing is, that was just one sale, i had to order another 50 worth in 74s and a few other 194s to do a few more things. other than that it was great. every single light on the interior of the car had been changed

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I managed to put the map light assembly in. With the headliner removed, I saw that there were OEM mounting points for it, but no wiring harness. Was easy to splice wiring off the overhead light though.

Trickiest part was cutting the headliner, must have took me 2 hours getting it just exactly right. Now you'd never know it wasn't stock. :cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.