Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in my car a 01 elantra, which was idling for about 15-20 min waiting to pick up my lil bro from school. I picked him up and started driving, soon i noticed my temp gauge was acting up. It would go from half way to Hot to back to normal. Also i did have the air/defroster on because it was raining. Once i realized i might have been overheating i shut off the air. I heard some slight rattleing noise from the engine area. I wasn't far from home a only a 5 min drive. Right before i was going into my last turn to my house. STALLED. I got out and checked the radiator level, to my horror, it was completely empty!...........I checked the lower hose to see if it was warm, it wasnt....I ran over and got some coolant, put a full gallon in. Started it up. It started after the third try. I Drove it home......... I havent done anything to it since, tommorrow i will let it run and see it if overheats. I really hope i didnt blow a head gasket....also I have heard that these particular engines, 2.0,, had problems with the t-stat sticking.....i kinda doubt it because i changed the t-stat about 5 months ago......................

any advice/insight would be appreciated.. thanx

·
Scary Super Mod
7,371 Posts
double check the fluid level make sure you are full and the over flow is gfot fluid to the cold line i think but you will see a marking line. if you still have the problem yes it could be the t-stat still, i had to do like three in my sundance in like 8months.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Today after filling, I let the car run for awhile. Car did not overheat..fan came on fine....t stat opened(hose was hot)........after inspecting for leaks, I found there was some drippage just under the alt...... Which leads me to believe its the water pump...I don't know what else from there..later when I get more time I will get a better look.........if I confirm it being the wp...that would suk....I just replaced the t-belt like 4 months ago. Thought about changing wp too..dam

1 - 4 of 4 Posts