Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a persistent problem.
Last winter, my heater core was replaced by the dealership after overheating and smoking.
Then again, it overheated in May with a cracked radiator. Had the radiator replaced and new hoses by a local garage.
as I left the garage, it overheated again and they said it was a pressure problem, squeezed on the hoses, filled the tank better after "burping" it and it was fine... for a few months.
Then I had all spark plugs replaced just because it was time.
Then in August, it overheated again. This time a check engine light came on and the engine died. That was the front O2 sensor. My husband replaced that and everything was fine.
A few weeks later, the car overheated again. This time it was the thermostat (or so we thought)
My husband replaced the thermostat and everything was fine for about a week.
Then it overheated again. Evidently, he cracked the thermostat housing with he overtightened. Took it to the garage, they replaced the thermostat again.
Then about a week later it overheated again.
Took it back to the same garage. They said there was a bad clamp. Replaced the clamp on some hose.
About 3 days later it overheated again.

Now here is the situation:
The car always overheats in the morning on a cold start. It never overheats in the afternoon when I leave work.
If I pull over in the morning when it overheats and turn off the engine for about 2 minutes, when I restart it, the temp is FINE and the car runs fine for the remainder of the trip as though nothing ever happened.
After about 3 days of this, it will not cool down instantly upon shutting down but will remain hot. This is because the coolant is low -- but only after 3 days of highway driving. Evidently the coolant is only burning up on driving because there is no obvious leak and nothing drips on the driveway.
The coolant overflow reservoir is ALWAYS full. When the radiator is low on fluid, the overflow tank is completely full.

I am at my wits end and don't trust the last three mechanics who I've been to at this point.

Does anyone recognize this problem?

·
Registered
988 Posts
When the engine is hot, the radiator coolant expands and pressure build up. The excessive coolant is transferred into the reservoir tank. When the engine is cooled down, the coolant in the reservoir is siphoned back into the radiator. Check the coolant levels in the reservoir tank when the engine is cold and also when it is hot and compare. The rubber hose from the radiator to the reservoir might be faulty.

---------- Post added 11-30-2010 at 04:35 PM ----------

The engine temperature sensor might be faulty also.

---------- Post added 11-30-2010 at 04:49 PM ----------

You should have changed all the hoses, clamps, thermostat and coolant altogether when you replaced the radiator to prevent persistent overheating problems from happening. Minor coolant leak is hard to notice. Look for white stains around the connections with a flashlight. Normally the engine cannot be cooled down in just a couple of minutes after shutting it off. You'd better keep the engine running and turn on the heater at maximum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Normally the engine cannot be cooled down in just a couple of minutes after shutting it off. You'd better keep the engine running and turn on the heater at maximum.

Thanks for the input. Today I used the heater because it was finally cold enough. The heater didn't blow hot air. It was blowing cold air. Add this to the above problems.....

???

·
Registered
988 Posts
You mean you turn on the heater when the engine was overheated, but there was no hot air? The temperature sensor must be faulty.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts