Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm relatively new here (sorry if this post is in the wrong place or anything!), but figured I would ask since Googling hasn't gotten me anywhere.

So long story short, I had error codes for O2 Sensor in Bank 1 which since has been replaced, however at the same time I had an error code for "main catalytic converter" which I am still getting.

Now my question is, and I hope it's an easy one, is which of the two is the MAIN catalytic converter on my car ('01 Elantra GLS with 102,000 miles)? Logic would have me think it's the one with the manifold right next to the engine, but I don't want to replace that when the main one was really the one after the flex pipe.

I plan on having the cat fixed on Friday (today is Wednesday) so any help as soon as possible would be fantastic!

PS - After Googling, all I was getting was primary and secondary converter, but again I don't want logic to be at fault. I also saw the primary converter called a "preconverter" so that had me second guessing as well.

Thank you!

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
The main cat converter, according to the scan tool is the one that is attached to the exhaust manifold. This also is considered a pre cat converter or primary cat converter, which is the only cat converter that is monitored on the XD.

Hyundai installs 2 cat converters on the XD, one attached to the exhaust manifold, and this one does most of the work and is the only one that is monitored. The second one is after the flex pipe and this one finishes the cleanup of the exhaust gas.

P0422 means the cat is not operating at full functioning. It can be anything from the engine not running correctly, or the cat is wore out. The best bet is to have the engine looked at for vacuum leaks, ignition problems, fuel problems because all of that can trigger that code. If everything on the engine checks out, the cat needs replacing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.