Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever painted their wheels? I have an 04 GT and was thinking about painting the wheels black. I have a friend who will do it for about $50. Powder coating was an option but they wanted about $300.

Anyone heard anything bad about painting wheels ? Seems to be a done quite a bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
yah, I did mine black a while or so ago...

take it to a shop, have them strip it chemically... removes more than sanding ever will, and is cheap, like maybe 50-60 for both wheels.

powder coat is the sh*t if u can afford it, highly chip resistant

ps- tsw wheels are highly chip prone... if u have these, you'll have to paint them eventually

·
Registered
45 Posts
i wouldn't spend 300 dollars to get your wheels painted that's a rip off IMO...do it yourself...getting them chemically stripped would be good, especially if you have aftermarket wheels and they have a shiny finish on them or what not...stock wheels you can usually get away with a GOOD sanding and wheel paint...everyone i know that has done it uses a good amount of clear coat to protect it

powdercoating is the shit...and honestly if you were gonna spend 300 find a powder coating place...if you do paint them do it yourself for A LOT less.

as for JCR...last time i checked stock hyundai wheels never came in black...unless you had steelies...then yess they are black.

·
Registered
45 Posts
i know he's talking about stock GT rims...and no i wouldn't by new rims...keep the GT's and paint them...only reason i would see to get new rims would be to get 15x7's...unles you plan to autox then yes get bigger rims where you'll have less sidewall to flex...

i'm suppose to be gettin elantra wheels on my tib..and plan to paint them.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Guess said:
hey KDM I just noticed you live a few towns over from me . Do you By any chance own a green Tib ?
why yes i certainly do..with Dragva.com stickers on the side and missmatched wheels because understeer and driving pissed off owned me.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My friend actually works at a shop so he's going to paint them for me. I figures I can't really go wrong for $50 for all four.

Does anyone have picture of painted GT wheels ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car is actually crimson red. Silver wheels just look out of place because everything else on the car is either red or black.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts