Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This all started because last week I had a leak in my bypass hose and all of my coolant shot out all over my transmission and bay leaving a bad odor in my cabin while driving. First I did a full engine bay cleaning, this was not as difficult as I thought. I took out the battery (12mm) and wrapped the positive and ground connections in electrical tape. I took out the air box (10mm), took off the valve cover(10mm). I took off the intake and wrapped up the hole to the throttle body. Also you should cover the air whole where the resonator is by the right fender to make sure water does not get down there. My car is a 2003, so I rewrapped the dry connections with electrical tape just as a precaution. YOU MUST cover your alternator, that was my only hesitation before doing this. Because last time when I was changing the bypass hose the alternator got wet without me knowing and my car was dimming a screaming for 2 days. This time I covered it used a plastic bag. Make sure to do this while the car is cool, the exhaust manifold and cat next to it will be very hot.

After prep I sprayed down the whole bay down with a 50/50 mix of Simple Green and distilled water, scrubbed with a wheel brush and then hosed the whole area down. Be careful around the power steering side and the cat. I dried with shop towels, a vacuum would also help. For the small tight spaces I used a can of compressed air. Other than that, the car and connections are well insulated. With the battery off this is also a good time to check the terminals for corrosion, I hit my connectors with a wire brush its good as new.

On to the valve cover / rocker. I bought a can of matte black Plasti Dip paint in a can, Home Depot $6. My cover was 2 toned black and grey, it was chipping and dirty. So washed this too with the Simple Green mix. This acted as a degreaser to get all the oil and res off, then let it dry in the sun. I did not prime this, or use rubbing alcohol. I'm no painting expert, but I watched a few of the dipyourcar vids on youtube. I sprayed the top of the cover with 4 even horizontal coats. Letting it dry for about 15 minutes in between coats, the can recommends 30mins but it was 95 degrees outside today so that was fine. I did not paint the bottom, I wouldn't recommend that as it comes in contact with a lot of heat and oil; at least in my case with a leaking valve gasket. There is a big improvement from the before and after photos, I may paint my heat shield too. One can is more than enough for the cover. I also painted my windshield wiper arms and I still have some left over. Apologies for not having any photos of the engine bay cleaning, I didn't want to get my camera wet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
How long has it been painted that way now? Does it have any issue with the heat from the engine? I am wanting to paint part of my engine cover red.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had it on for a few days, still looks good. No heat damage on the paint. I saw that they sell red tinted plasti dip at Pepboys. But its more of a matte finish. If you want a glossy I think a normal high temp spray paint would be fine.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Mine has been done since 2003.

IMG_4889.jpg

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I did the engine cover a gloss blood red a long *** time ago. I ended up taking in off, I prefer the valve cover look better.

·
04 GLS - Low, Slow, Angry
791 Posts
^ I deleted all plastics about 5 years ago, been rockin a high temp electric blue valve cover since. Lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts