Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I've successfully converted my brakes from drum to disc by purchasing the whole wheel hub from a Tiburon.

One thing I'm having problems with is the fit of the emergency brake cables. The cables I purchased are:

59760-29301 - LH
59770-29301 - RH

I'm assuming for the parking brake, left is the drivers side (America) and right is the passenger's side.

The right side installed nicely - I popped the grommet into the cabin and the bracket for the screw lined up perfectly down the car.

The left side... not so much. After popping the grommet in, it seemed as if I have to yank the parking cable quite hard to get it to fit properly into the mounting hole.

Since this car originally came with drum brakes and those cables are completely different, I'm in a totally new world here. Just wanted to see if anyone has experienced this or if I'm using the wrong cable... it seems hard to mess it up, the brackets have tiny tabs that slot in below the bolt holes so if I was installing them on the wrong side I would expect much more of a hassle.

Any input here is appreciated as I'd love to get the car off of jack stands are ready to get aligned after completely rebuilding the rear suspension :)

· Registered
6 Posts
Which cables did you use the Tiburon? The Tiburon doesn’t use the same kind of parking brake handle. I used the Tiburon brake assembly, but I assume you could use the Elantra gt brake cables. The gt used rear disc brakes you could try that.

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which cables did you use the Tiburon? The Tiburon doesn’t use the same kind of parking brake handle. I used the Tiburon brake assembly, but I assume you could use the Elantra gt brake cables. The gt used rear disc brakes you could try that.
Based on the diagrams and what I’ve looked up those cables are for the Elantra. Correct me if I’m wrong… but I think they’re the right parts. If they’re not I’ll gladly buy the correct ones.

unless the Elantra was never offered with disc? However the part diagrams DO list for drum and disc.

interesting about the Tiburon not using the same parking brake handle. Under the center console I have a short braided steel cable that goes to a piece of metal with two holes, one for each brake. When I hook it up and line up all the holes the left looks like it’s pulling harder. The holes all line up except for the first mounting hole from the inside (under where the cable goes inside the car, there are three holes where the cable mounts to the car - right outside the entry hole, where it bends, and at the trailing arm (I think, don’t have my diagram right now)

suggestions are ALWAYS welcome since I’m definitely getting frustrated here :(

ebrake is the last step before I can put the tires back on and get a full wheel alignment. So close!!!

If you need more information, let me know. I got the hubs off a same generation Tiburon (99-01, I believe). I rebuilt all the parts and bled the brakes and painted them. Seems to be good. I just really want that ebrake right as it's a manual and an ebrake is one of those things you need in an emergency, of course.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts