Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the pcv line filter diy 3 weeks ago or so and today i checked the filter and it's filled with oil and junk hehe. It's pretty cool that it catches the garbage that will dirty up the intake manifold. I recommand everyone do it, only costed me like 25 bucks for all the parts

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Where is this DIY Posted?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I forgot I bought the parts to do this about 3 months ago, but have had them sitting around my garage since then. Thanks for the reminder.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I did this mod and I noticed hesitation in the engine so I took out and the engine went back to normal. Has any one else experienced any thing similar??? Since then I’ve gotten the Ecu reflashed and a new exhaust, once my BIM gets here I am going to try it again and see what happens.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Alright, although I didn't invent the idea, I was the first to post it and I can see people are screwing it all up.

First off, you can remove the little white filter from the water seperator. There is no reason to keep it and if anything, it will clog causing the gasses not to flow. The only reason the filter is in it to begin with is because it was originally designed to flow high pressure.

Now, there is no real reason to put this on the PCV line like shown (infact, i wouldn't recomend it). This is designed to go from the line that goes from the crankcase to the intake pipe.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Now, there is no real reason to put this on the PCV line like shown (infact, i wouldn't recomend it).
HUH? Have you done it? I have and can attest to the fact that there is in fact a real reason to do it. If you saw the oil and water that came out of it every 3k miles at my oil change I think you might say different. And why wouldn't you recommend it? What could be wrong with running the hose through a filter/catch-can, letting the vapor cool, drop its filth, and then feeding it back into the IM?

I would say there is no real reason to put it on the hose you are recommending putting it on since there is virtually no oil or water vapor in it.

Also, i have not had any such hesitation from this mod. I have an 03. maybe it is different on the 04 with the MAF. I don't know why but maybe it has to do with temp of air being read by the maf and the cooler air coming in from the pcv. Seems pretty touchy if that is the case.

·
Registered
378 Posts
XDGT03 said:
I would say there is no real reason to put it on the hose you are recommending putting it on since there is virtually no oil or water vapor in it.
Yes, I have done it. Infact, I did before you and most (if not all) the other members here. I was the first one to do a write up on making one using these materials.

Putting that asside, Yes oil comes out of the line that I described and coats the inside of the intake, the throttle body, and the intake manifold. Now, that being said if you are going to install one where do you think it may be better to install it?

Put it where you want to put it, but I am telling you where it is supposed to go. Where you have it now isn't doing any good since your intake, throttle body, ane even your intake manifold is still getting coated with that thin layer of oil you are trying to prevent by installing it.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
To see evidence of this, take the intake hose off of the throttle body and open the blade. Run your finger behind it, and look at the nasties that come off. Although the film takes a while to build up, it will do just that. This is why all American cars use a PCV Filter from the factory.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
Okay, I had a white pvc intake for a while and there was no residue on the inside at all. I know after time there will be more as the engine "loosens" up. But are we talking about the same thing? I mean I get maybe 1/2 oz of stuff every 3k miles. With it where you are describing, it will get virtually nothing for how long? Whats the point? I can live with the little getting in there since I getting most of it coming from the pcv valve side.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
I'm trying to find Autobot's origional write-up on this but can't seem to be able to. The old XD site is messin up on me....probably just my shitty connection. Anyway, I'd like to do this mod, but I'm not sure what kind of filter it is we're supose to use. Someone point me in the right direction? Thanks.

Axel

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
XDGT03 said:
Okay, I had a white pvc intake for a while and there was no residue on the inside at all. I know after time there will be more as the engine "loosens" up. But are we talking about the same thing? I mean I get maybe 1/2 oz of stuff every 3k miles. With it where you are describing, it will get virtually nothing for how long? Whats the point? I can live with the little getting in there since I getting most of it coming from the pcv valve side.
Yes, but 1/2 oz. of stuff every 3k adds up. All of that ends up in the intake system, and the sensors that are in there. It's not a bad idea to add one.

·
Registered
378 Posts
On the '03 there are no sensors after either of the lines. Not sure about the '04s but I don't think they do either.

XDGT03, like I said before, put it where you want but you are not only allowing more parts to get coated with oil, you are still allowing the intake manifold to get coated.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Autobot, Where should the filter go? Both of the writeups That I have found show it on the same hose. is there a writeup for the hose that you are reccomending?

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
For the ideal set up you will need 2 separators.

Follow the instructions on this DIY which includes all the parts and instructions you will need to do it for the pcv side. Just repeat the process for the hose running to the side of the intake.

Jay had this set up and ran it all to the front of his car where he mounted both separators near the horns.

I'm still confused Autobot,

first you said
Now, there is no real reason to put this on the PCV line like shown (infact, i wouldn't recomend it
you followed it up with
Where you have it now isn't doing any good
and
Yes, I have done it
But i have to say that if you have done it on the pcv side there is no way you would say you wouldn't recommend it. I'm not sure what you are trying to say really. And the reason this is important is because it really seems like you are giving some uninformed advice here. If people do as you say, they will miss 99.99% of all the crap going back into their IM and capture very little.

Here, I will take some photos to show what I mean

(the dark ring on the inside it the burn through from the weld)

This is after less than 3k since my last oil change and a race. You can see about a tblspoon of oil and water in the bottom of the separator. You can see from the other pics that the inside of my tb and intake are clean.

So Autobot, since you where the pioneer here, explain why my setup is worse than yours. Especially since yours must be better because you were first to do it. And explain to everybody why capturing less crud is better than capturing more.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Would you like me to go take a pic with the oil inside the catch or do you trust me when I tell you that after a few thousand miles there is some in there?

No, I have not hooked it to the PCV line. When I said I done it, I meant I made the catch. It isn't that I am giving you uninformed advice, if you want to do one on the PCV line, fine. But if you don't do it on the intake line, the inside of your IM will get coated anyways.

Now, do you see the point?

·
Registered
58 Posts
AUTOBOT said:
Would you like me to go take a pic with the oil inside the catch or do you trust me when I tell you that after a few thousand miles there is some in there?

No, I have not hooked it to the PCV line. When I said I done it, I meant I made the catch. It isn't that I am giving you uninformed advice, if you want to do one on the PCV line, fine. But if you don't do it on the intake line, the inside of your IM will get coated anyways.

Now, do you see the point?

I did it to the PCV line and I got a ton of oil and crap in the catch can so I know it works there, but I also noticed that line to the intake also had crud in it so I was thinking about putting a catch can there too. Wait scracth that thought if you think about the air flow of the lines if makes perfect since to put it on the PCV line sine that line sucks the air out of the engine, hence thats why hyunday put the PCV filter thing there. As for the other line from the intake thats there to suck air into the engine, but while idling the gases probably go both ways.

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
That is exactly right. Air flows into the crankcase through that tube. It will back flow if the pcv system gets clogged. Now you see my confusion?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts