Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugh. So we dropped my wife's 2002 Elantra GT off at the dealer for inspection, because even though we had them take care of the airbag recall, we got a letter from Hyundai saying that they didn't have a record of us doing the recall.

Got a call this afternoon - we see that you recently changed one of your belts, you're going to need to change the other two. Sure, it's been ~40,000 miles, and we changed the alternator belt because it BROKE, but it can't hurt... how much would that be?

We can do that for about $500.

Woah. Wooaah. Hang on. I think I'll take care of that myself. Okay, but if one of those belts goes, you can add another zero to that because you'll have to replace your engine Yeah, I don't think it costs quite that much to replace the engine, and I know I'm not paying someone $500 to change my belts. Next?

Your license plate bulbs are out. (I was pulled over by a cop about a month ago and he said my bulbs were out - in my 01 Elantra - but he let me off without a warning or a ticket. I got home, they were definitely still working.) Uh, okay, really? Yup, we can take care of those, for $19 HEY NOW. I'm pretty sure I can buy those bulbs for $3 from you guys, and $0.70 online, and replace them myself. Well, I see a car that's got 120,000 miles on it and some parts are going to be rusted in, and if you break that you're going to end up coming back here anyway, and it's probably not worth the time and gas -- I don't think it's worth $19... Well... $19 for both? $19 per bulb, that includes labor, and the lens WHAAT? WHAT LENS? IT'S A LICENSE PLATE BULB. Moving on.

We also had trouble starting your car, and we checked your battery and it's probably going to need to be replaced. Okay, I can believe that. How much? We can take care of that, it'll be about $220

INCREDIBLE.

I told them not to touch anything (Except the bumper sidemarker bulb's harness, which got ripped out in the winter, long story short, bumper was hanging, either Mel or I drove it through some snow the wrong way, and the harness is gone.) and that I'd be there as soon as the harness was replaced.

About 15 minutes after I hung up, they called back. "We just tried to run your emissions test, and it failed. We think it failed because your car's computer isn't getting enough electricity from the battery." Cripes, they REALLY want me to spend $200 on their stupid battery. So I tell them, that's alright, I'll take care of that. "Okay, just make sure after you get the battery in, you've got to drive about 40 miles on the highway without braking in order to reset the emissions sensors."

Shame on you, Pacifico Hyundai. I can't wait for the follow-up phone call from Hyundai Corporate asking how our service was. They wanted $850 to change my battery, two belts, and two license plate lights that, as far as I remember, worked just fine.

·
Calf...Ankles...Cankles!!
12,676 Posts
sounds like a good deal to me

yeah ****ing right

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
Where are you located? I don't know how close you are to Conshohocken but I've had great experience with Conicelli Hyundai. They are on Ridge Pike just off the Blue Route.
http://www.conicellihyundai.com/dealership/directions.htm

I have 3 other Hyundai dealers closer to my home but I won't take my cars to them. I'd rather drive the 2 or 3 times the distance to Conicelli to have them do the maintenance. Their service is good, the don't overcharge and they have never tried to get me to agree to more maintenance than needed.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I could buy another 2002 Elantra for $5000 and still have money left over. When I had my timing belt changed on my 01 Elantra, along with a pile of other things, it ran me about $300. Last time I had the rest of my belts changed, I had them flush the coolant, and the grand total for that was $125.

Thanks for the tip on Conicelli, I'm right at Broad & Poplar but I'll make the drive for a dealer recommended by someone here. For most of my maintenance I actually just take the car to the Goodyear on Spring Garden & Broad, they've been real good about things.

Got the car back this morning, so I'm okay with putting the name out there: I was dealing with Pacifico Hyundai. These guys sold a friend of mine an Accent two years ago for $20,000 (heh, ugh) He developed a bubble in the sidewall of one of his tires at under 20k miles, went in to get it replaced for free, which they did, but then they told him two of his tires were low on tread and had to be replaced, and he ended up spending almost $300 (I chided him when he told me this, and he found out that the tires also had a warranty on them, and he basically was had)

$40 to change my license plate bulbs.

Super: Second time to this dealership - first time was to get the brake lines fixed, had them change the oil while they had the car. They forgot to change the oil. I don't remember if they charged us though. It's Mel's car, I don't pay as much attention to it as I do my own. I told her that this was the first visit to a garage where they treated me like they all seem to treat her, hehe.

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
Thanks for the tip on Conicelli, I'm right at Broad & Poplar but I'll make the drive for a dealer recommended by someone here. For most of my maintenance I actually just take the car to the Goodyear on Spring Garden & Broad, they've been real good about things.
Broad & Poplar, ouch. That's just about as center of the city as you can get. I thought you might be in the Springfield, Lansdown or Darby areas since you went to Pacifico. Conshohocken might be a PIA to go to from there.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There are pluses and minuses to being in the middle of the city. Pacifico being the closest dealer is a big fat minus. I'll drive all the way back to Downingtown if I have to.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just took both of our cars to Colonial Hyundai in Downingtown. The difference was like night and day. Next time I need dealer service, I'm driving forty miles west to leave the car with them and taking the train back to town.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
God elantra owners are cheap. You need to pay soemoneo to do the waorok. If you can to doi t yoursoerlf. ehtn fine. Tub pay the chanrte if you can't. don't ***** atoub hte charged is you can't do the owrk. we need to pay fo the buidkling, the labo, the office people, the wirthers, tecetera. so do'nt ***** about eh cahrtnbe. Yes, I'm drunk, but it'e becausse of people bithicn about work that i should rightbutlyy bet paie for and peopleare too chep bott pay for.

·
Registered
5,683 Posts
God elantra owners are cheap. You need to pay soemoneo to do the waorok. If you can to doi t yoursoerlf. ehtn fine. Tub pay the chanrte if you can't. don't ***** atoub hte charged is you can't do the owrk. we need to pay fo the buidkling, the labo, the office people, the wirthers, tecetera. so do'nt ***** about eh cahrtnbe. Yes, I'm drunk, but it'e becausse of people bithicn about work that i should rightbutlyy bet paie for and peopleare too chep bott pay for.
While I can agree with some of that, this post certainly dont help your cause. And if a lil customers' complaints make u drink, then perhaps u shouldn't work there (or much of anywhere for that matter since there will always be someone who will complain)

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
^^^ WOW!! There's someone I want working on my car. NOT

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
That's wierd, Nova, I thought you blocked my posts.
Yeah, I was **** faced last night. Sue me.

·
You best be trollin foo
4,053 Posts
Wanna try that again in English? Christ I think I need to run this through Google translator with it set to 14 year old girl.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yo dude. I paid for the work at a Hyundai Dealer who didn't rip me off. In fact, as a direct comparison, Pacifico wanted to charge me $500 for my timing belt on my 02 GT, which both Goodyear/Gemini and Colonial Hyundai inspected and said was fine. However, the belt on my 01 GLS needed to be replaced, and Colonial did it for $395.

The other nice thing about Colonial? They didn't talk overtop of me on the phone. They didn't charge me $40 to change out my friggin' license plate bulbs. When I left them messages, they called me back. Colonial Hyundai inspected my car for $40, whereas it was $95 from Pacifico. They offered to pick me up from the train station. They weren't just more reasonable, price-wise, but they were above and beyond awesome as far as service went, period. Pacifico said they did my recalls, but never entered them into any kind of universal system (Last I checked, my wife's car STILL shows recalls on Carfax, but Pacifico took care of the 'open' recalls on both car cars -- which Pacifico said they did, but apparently didn't do.)

No one at Pacifico offered to drive me to work. Whenever I go to their service department, I stand around for a few minutes before anyone bothers to interact with me.

Don't give me static about being cheap. I buy OEM parts for my cars, I go to my dealers for service. But when the dealer sucks, that has nothing to do with me being cheap. Thank god I don't get my car serviced in Redondo Beach.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Wait..... how do you "inspect" a timing belt and determine it's "OK"? It's not a "visual" kinda of thing. Time/miles. Nothing else. I've seen snapped belts that "looked" great... except they were in two pieces.

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
This message is hidden because ricerrx7 is on your ignore list.
I still love this feature.

So, let me guess. Ricer made some wise crack comment about me blocking his posts. Am I warm?

Well Ricer, see the post above mine? The one by Silentwolf? He quoted you and that's how I could read your post. Wait, scratch that. That's how I could SEE your post. I can see it but I still can't READ it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.