Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
If you're going to talk to the guy unblock him for the duration of the thread, this is childish. Reminds me of when kids tell other kids to tell the person they're fighting with a message.
Well, you tell Silent wolf that he's wrong and stuff.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
wow, you guys are *****ing about Ricer's drunk post like you think you're all some saintly, holy people, like you've never gotten drunk, or drunk posted before. and i thought the 300zx club forums were full of immature hypocritical bastards. last i heard, ricer worked for a BMW dealer, and we ALL know how 90%+ of bmw owners are. they would make the pope go home and drink himself stupid. grow the **** up for christ's sake.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Yeah, I screwed up and got way too drunk yesterday. Don't even really remember posting that.
But now that I'm of more sound mind, let's try this again. If you're going to compare the quality of the service, that's great. Obviously you should go with the dealership that treats you better. But, you need to look at both sides of the equation. I'm not familiar with your area, but by looking at the map of where the two dealerships are, you're comparing one that is in a downtown area, to one that is more rural. The one downtown has to be more expensive to cover their costs. The building and property is going to be more expensive, and the taxes higher. Some people are willing to pay the higher fee for the convenience of getting their car serviced by their work. Some people are willing to drive out of their way to save some money. But you shouldn't call the more expensive dealership a rip off for trying to cover their costs. You want to see a dealership rip someone off? Come to mine. You wouldn't believe what we charge.
But sometimes we know based on experience that certain things break when you try to remove them. If they've replace a lot of license plate lights, and know that the lenses have a habit of breaking, they tell you up front, like they did. If they wait to try to sell you the lens after it breaks, then you're going to tell them that they broke it and they're going to have to eat a $10 part in order to sell you a $3 part. They are there to make money, and sometimes they have to be cautious in order to not lose money.
Do you know how technicians get paid? We don't get paid for being there, we get paid for the work that we do. For example: if a brake job pays 2 hours, then I get paid two hours whether it takes me 30 minutes or 4 hours to do it. So if I replace a light bulb for you for free, then not only am I not making money by working on your car, but I have to spend time pulling in your car, getting the bulb from parts, replacing the bulb, pulling your car back out, and putting the story of what I did in the computer, which means that I get held up from working on a car that could actually pay my bills.
You act like they did something wrong by telling you about the battery again. They told you that you needed a battery because it was weak, you declined. You asked them to do an emissions test on your car. Part of that is checking the computer to see if all of the tests have been done. Some people will try to reset the computer to get the check engine light to go off in order to pass a smog test, but doing that resets the emissions monitors, which tells the tech that the car doesn't know if it's working right or not. That's an automatic fail. So if you're battery is weak, and causing the computer to reset itself, then it's impossible to pass the emissions test. They had to mention the battery again, as it was the reason you failed the emissions test. And they even gave you helpful information about what you need to do after you replace the battery to make sure the next time you try to get the emissions tested it passes.
Sounds like they did their job to me.

About the tire warranty, they cover damage, not wear. If there is a bubble or a nail, that's covered. If the tire is just worn out, that's not covered. That's how the warranty works, that's not the dealership pulling a fast one on him.

And did Pacifico want $500 for the timing belt? Or the two accessory belts?

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
^ thIS. It's amazing to me what people think happens. It's almost as if people think that dealerships should be doing stuff and not making a profit. Although... that's what our leaders in charge are telling people about everything, so why should this be any different.

After re-reading the OP's old thread...... I still am not seeing what the original dealership did wrong? OK, they were charging more, but with the limited information given by the OP they might have been doing more. We'll never know though. Many people just have unreal expectations. I still get calls at least monthly wanting to know why the new car warranty won't cover a collision. Hell, even C&D made that comment in their long term TSX test..... they were *****ing that a rock had broken the fog light housing and it wasn't covered under warranty.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Do you know how technicians get paid? We don't get paid for being there, we get paid for the work that we do.
I have to be honest here, nobody cares. You have decided to be in that line of work and therefore you are subject to all the cheap bastards in the universe. Would you pay someone $40 to change your light bulb? From what I understand they changed it and told him it would be $40. Not, "It'll be $40, do you want us to change it?"

In any event, there is no excuse for poor customer service. No excuse.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
I have to be honest here, nobody cares. You have decided to be in that line of work and therefore you are subject to all the cheap bastards in the universe. Would you pay someone $40 to change your light bulb? From what I understand they changed it and told him it would be $40. Not, "It'll be $40, do you want us to change it?"

You understand wrong, they did not change it, he decided to do it himself/other shop. And does anyone care that Librarians get paid? Shouldn't they do it for free? I mean... it;s just books and ****, right? Same with accountants. THey don't need to be paid. or doctors. or the guy cutting your grass. Or..... Look people. You are paying someone to do something either you can't, or you are too damn lazy to do on your own. You pay a price for that. Shops, dealers, stores, whatever are in business to make a profit. You don't go to work for free, right? So why should anyone else.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
I misremembered what happened in this thread from back in August, my bad. In any event, I can't imagine anyone paying $40 for a light bulb change.

I'm not trying to justify why I get paid what I get paid and neither is anyone else in this thread (but we are welcome to start another thread about it if so inclined). I don't think anyone should work for free (unless they want to of course) but it's strange to read over and over again here at EXD about people who work for dealerships always complaining about it. Get a new job if it's so bad.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
$500 was to change just the timing belt. As far as inspecting the belt goes, truth be told, ya got me. I know that I had taken both my 120,000+ mile cars into Colonial, and that we'd previously changed out the timing belt on the GT about 30,000 miles ago (we bought it used, and I didn't trust previous owners to have done proper service, based on the carfax). Colonial either guessed really well, or they could tell that one of our Elantras was due for a belt, and the other wasn't. Likewise, Goodyear/Gemini seemed to think the timing belt checked out on the GT. Two out of three ain't bad. (BTW, Colonial will change your battery for $150 -- it's still something I'd rather do myself, but just pointing out that again, it's cheaper to drive out of town)

Regarding tire warranties, I don't know the specific brand of tires he has (and he's not in work today) but don't pretty much all tires come with treadwear warranties these days? Damage is usually a separate warranty in my experience, typically called "road hazard," an extra $20 per tire -- but so worth it when you do a lot of highway driving.

I have no problem paying for service, I do understand how it works. I just dropped a pile of money on my '01, and I bet the folks at Colonial have never seen someone so happy to pay $1700 in repairs on a nine year old vehicle. That's no small chunk of change on a car with a bluebook value of <$1000, but they were clear, honest, and really nice. It is the service department, after all. And even though their prices were lower overall, get this -- they have the same $95/hr rate that Pacifico has. Maybe it just takes longer to do things in Philly.

I wouldn't be so averse to their higher prices except a) They made out like a bandit selling my friend a $20,000+ Accent (which is kind of my friend's fault for not being more vigilant with the sales staff, sure), and b) they were so damn rude. I'm a pretty nice, patient guy. Probably overly so. It takes a lot to get me upset enough about something to rant about it online.

I also find it really weird that Pacifico's the only Hyundai dealer I've had service at where I never get a follow-up call from Hyundai corp. I still don't understand how they claimed to have taken care of my recalls, only to have them all still be open (We kept getting the letters from Hyundai, carfax showed they were open, and Colonial saw them as open).

Before all this, I'd gotten the GT's brake lines changed over at Pacifico. We'd asked them to change the oil while they were at it, and they forgot, but they didn't charge us for it, so I didn't really care that much. In hindsight, it's just part of a pattern that demonstrates that they are not as good at service as Colonial in Downingtown or Giambalvo in York. Since Hyundai doesn't hear about this from me directly on account of Pacifico never giving my number to them, I figure I'll post about it online. If they improve their service department, everyone wins. Not like I'll ever find out, because I'm never going back there again.

So to end on a positive note, Colonial Hyundai's awesome. Not because they're cheaper, but because they'll talk WITH you, not AT you. My 01 GT needs a new canister close valve, they priced that replacement out at $196.56, and I said that I'd like to wait on that if that's alright. If I was on the phone with Pacifico, I would have been badgered, given my previous experience. At Colonial, they let me know that I'm probably fine not changing it out right away, and the worst that could happen is if it somehow clogs, the car will stall out, but that is unlikely to happen. No pressure, no BS. None of this "your light bulbs might be rusted in" or "It'll cost you $5000 to change your engine" crap, talking over me as if I haven't spent the last nine years putting 150,000 miles on my car and paying pretty close attention along the way.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Let me see if I can tackle some of this.....

Warranty claims and repairs are handled by the "warranty clerk". Basically, a person that submits claims for every warranty repair done in the dealership. If they don't submit them, the dealership does not get paid and they are out the money in both man-hours and parts. Sounds like someone missed a claim getting submitted to corporate. That also means they lost money because that person screwed up.

Sales staff is, and I know this part no one understands, is completely unrelated to the parts/service depts. Believe me... we don't like them either. We spend half our days fixing false promises and BS they tell customers to make a buck. If we knew of a better way around it, we'd roll with it. TRUST ME on that one. If I had a dollar for every time I had to fix a salesman's lie and try to keep a customer happy in the last 9 years of this... I could retire. In Maui.

Personally, I;m glad you found a good dealer. We're out there. And we work HARD to keep our customers and to keep them happy.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts

No, I wouldn't pay someone $40 to change a light bulb. Why? Because I can do it myself. But I would pay someone to clean my gutters. Why? Because I don't want to do it. I wouldn't call the guy over to my house and then tell him he's crooked for wanting to charge me to clean them out because all he's doing is removing leaves, and I could do it myself for free if I wanted to.
What if the library called you in on your day off and said "we need you to work for free today. I mean, all you're doing is organizing books..."

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
^ i won't lie.... I wanted to pay someone to change the brake light bulbs on Barbie. Here;s the steps:
REmove liscense plate.
Remove back up lights.
Remove 4 10mm bolts holding bumper cover center to support
gently pull cover outword while snaking your hand inside the cover with a 10mm socket on a short ratchet.
Remove 2 bolts holding the inner housing in
Remove inner housing from the cover.
REach arm inside the opening from the inner light to remove the bulb and socket assembly on the outside housing
snake wiring through opening.
Replace bulb.

I would have pair $40 for that.....

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
I don't think anyone should work for free (unless they want to of course) but it's strange to read over and over again here at EXD about people who work for dealerships always complaining about it. Get a new job if it's so bad.
If I quit every job that I didn't like, I'd never have a job. Truth be told though, I'm in the process of figuring out my next move.

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
Well, I've been "working" for free two days a week for the last year, so I'm not the best to ask about that.

Just because you aren't getting money doesn't always been you aren't getting something out of it. (I volunteer at two different places for a few hours every Tuesday and Thursday).

But, it sounds like you know you need a new job, so that's good (and good luck).

Now, let's get back on topic about rip off dealerships in PA if we can. Thanks.

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
wow, you guys are *****ing about Ricer's drunk post like you think you're all some saintly, holy people, like you've never gotten drunk, or drunk posted before.
Nope. I've never been drunk once. I don't need to dull my senses to deal with life.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
Volunteering, and being made to work for free at your job that you go to to try to pay your bills are two very different things.

---------- Post added 10-14-2010 at 04:26 PM ----------

Nope. I've never been drunk once. I don't need to dull my senses to deal with life.
You're probably a christian, huh?

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Up until I started working above a bar that my company owns, I'd never been drunk. Wasn't Christian, wasn't "straightedge" -- I've just got better things to spend my money on. Some people like getting drunk. I prefer traveling. (Hence the two cars with over 120,000 miles on them). The money my friends spend on booze for a year is more than enough to spend on a week in another country. To each their own.

Where I work now, we're allowed one free drink a day, and we have the occasional company party in the bar. I don't even take advantage of that, I typically only have a Guinness at lunch on Friday. Even still, I've only been drunk a couple of times, and usually that's at a party. Not sitting in front of my computer.

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
To be fair, I wasn't on the computer while I was drinking.

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
This has to be the silliest thing I've read all week. Fun's over.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.