Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed this a few months ago, but never got around to posting this until now - so this unit is actually a bit out of date, there's a newer model that replaces it. Nevertheless, here is my Pioneer AVIC-F700BT in my 09 Elantra Sport:

I initially mounted the GPS antenna on the top of the trunk lid, right in the middle where it meets the windshield. I have the Sport version (with a spoiler) and it actually looked pretty good, basically unnoticeable. However, after I had it secured to the trunk, run back into the passenger compartment, and had all the door trims removed to run it up to the front, I noticed it was a few inches too short to actually make it to the head unit (Argh!!). So I removed it from the trunk, and mounted it inside my dashboard. I removed the tray thingy that's above the clock, and found a space in behind:

The antenna is actually mounted in the right-hand side hole at the top, pushed about 5 inches back. I secured it with some two-sided tape, and then secured the wire with some zip ties. The important thing is that there is no metal above the antenna - in this case, there is just the plastic from the dashboard, and then the windshield.

This actually worked out very well - I've had it installed for about 4 months, and never had a reception problem. On top of that, the antenna is totally invisible.

The dash kit I bought was for the US version (as I later found out), and the Canadian stereo is slightly different. I had to cut some of the dash kit off to make it fit (using a dremel), and I couldn't use the mounting brackets that came with the kit. I ended up putting the original brackets back in, but after drilling an extra hole in each for screws for the headunit. Unfortunately the stereo still didn't 100% fit, but I didn't want to modify the brackets further, and it is sturdy, so I just left it. You can see the brackets are not connected at the top in this picture:

This unit has bluetooth speakerphone and voice recognition commands, but requires a microphone to make them work. I ran the mic under the dashboard, and then up the driver's side windshield column, across the top, and then mounted the microphone (a lapel-style mic) using two-sided tape to the roof ot the car, right above the rear-view mirror, pointed at me. This too works quite while, except for when there is a lot of wind noise.

Overall I'm quite happy with it, and it does fit in quite nicely with the look of the factory car itself. I would definitely recommend anything in this series to someone looking for an in-dash nav unit.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
id say it would look more OEM if it was at a slight angle like the dash is... idk if u can do that or not... but it does look good.

as for the angle... you could TRY using... mounting holes on the bottom, that r the next ones in line, behind the ones ur currently using it hold it in. so, use the next holes back... n it might give it that angled it. maybe im completely wrong n it wont. idk. lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I didn't really like the angle either. In behind the stereo, there is a circular steel beam running horizontally. There's an L-shaped bracket welded to the top of that beam, about 2" high, which the back of the unit is resting on (it's designed to hold the stereo up). If I want to get rid of the angle, I'd have to cut that bracket off.

It would be extremely difficult to cut. I'd have a hard time getting in there with a dremel, and even then the sparks and dirt it would generate would make a big mess - and possibly I wouldn't even be able to cut enough off to be useful. It's too strong of a bracket to bend, and the weld is strong enough that any attempt to just break it would probably result in mangling the bracket and not being able to fit the stereo in at all. Obviously while any plastic of the dashboard is near it, a plasma torch or angle grinder is out - and I wasn't really willing to take apart the ENTIRE dashboard to make it happen.

On top of all that, I don't really like modifying the car in any permanent way, so that I can't put the OEM stereo back in and have it look normal.

·
elantra HD
247 Posts
nice job. im considering getting one of the similar models of that deck. I just need to know if you bought a new dash piece for around the radio or just trimmed the existing one. thanks

·
Registered
242 Posts
Good luck with that nav system. I install for a living and we have had nothing but bad luck with the F series units. I had 3 of the 900BTs in my car already and finally gave up on them. Sorry to sound like a jerk, just wanted to give you the heads up.

·
Premium Member
9,901 Posts
great lookin install. agree that it looks damn close to factory

1 - 10 of 10 Posts