Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

Which tires will look best and have no chance of rubbing?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the poll results from my "What size wheels look best?" thread 17's seam to be the favorite. I am going to buy some 17's soon but am worried about the tires rubbing.

Here are the factors unique to my car:

-I have quite a bit of weight in my trunk (2-12" Subs in a bix box with mirrors and plexi-glass and stuff also a 6.5" component set in their own boxes and 3 amps to power the subs).
-I have not done anything to the suspension.
-I have a R-34 front bumper and side skirts and an Evo rear bumper.

The following is some info and opinions I have found in other threads and the wheel and tire sticky:
205/45/17 is the closest overall diameter for 17x7 rims, but many of us chose to go with 215/45/17 for a better ride and better choice in tires.

215/45 will cause rubbing no matter what springs you are on... if you are lucky with nothing in the back, then you may be fine... from what ive heard, lowered or not, then i would go with 205\40 as far as 17s go

17" wheels
205/40-17 (undersized, this size is common & cheap)
215/40-17 (slightly undersized, good for autocrossing)
205/45-17 (closest to OEM diameter, good for daily driving)
215/45-17 (oversized, very common size and rides and handles great but can rub in some configurations)

Please let me know which tires I should get that will be best for looks but not have even a chance of rubbing.

·
Registered
716 Posts
you will not rub with 205/40/17 at all even if you are dropped 3". Wheel gap is too big. It just doesn't look right.

I think you should get some camber bolts and get 215/45/17. -1.42% in the rear and -0.5% on the front.

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
looks to matter when it comes to tires in my opinion... i think of it as riding in a car full with stuff on mountain roads...

·
Registered
37 Posts
This may be unrelated to this thread, but just a quick opinion about tires. The Toyo Proxes 4 is a great tire for the price. No I dont work for Toyo.
Just to clarify I mean the newer Proxes 4 not the older FZ 4, which i didnt like on my 88 Jetta GLI.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
i had toyo proxes 4 twice and did not like them....they have no grip and when new can be squirelly (i know that is not spelled right)

HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA its all about offset....you have a 45mm offset you will be fine with ANY drop....if you have 40mm offset you will be fine with ANY drop just need to max out your camber. there have been many discussions on this...

·
Registered
383 Posts
I agree with only1db, you have to consider the offset of the wheel, its the combination of that with the tire size that will determine if it runs. And unfortunately there are difffrent combinations, when you add springs , drop, and weigh, that NO ONE can just determine tire size only and guarantee that it wont rub.

·
Class Out The ***
1,494 Posts
215-45-17 are best when you need that cushion. going any thinner increases your chances of bending a wheel. if you get the right offset or use the camber boltsd correctly, you'll be fine in any case. at stock height, and even at the eibach drop, 215-45-17s don't seem to have any rubbing issues.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well here are the specs of the wheel and tire that I'm interested in:

Wheel:
Finish: Hyper Light
Bolt Pattern: 4x114.3
Wheel Size: 17x7
Offset: 40

Tire:
Size: 215/45/17
Speed Rating: H
Treadwear: 340

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I have⁷ìp a 2017 Hyundai Elantra SE with 205/55r16. I want a taller and wider tire to give it that I guess porches 911 look... the " fat look", what would be a good size with rim can fit and have no rubbing or issues

1 - 9 of 9 Posts