Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, so I have changed spark plugs, wires, timing belt, water pump, k&n intake, vapor canister and more, but I still can't find out why my xd is driving so damn slow, I was thinking maybe a bad 02 sensor, so i went and checked it out and I found out I have the 132hp sulev engine not the 138hp ulev engine like my last xd. What would I need to do to convert to ulev? I have no check engine light but the car seems to be running rich. When the timing belt was changed I noticed a big difference but the car still doesn't even compare to my last xd's performance. Not to mention I'm probably only getting around 15-20mpg city, my trip computer says 23-24mpg but we know that isn't accurate. The car is at 190k miles so obviously that is a factor too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It is definitely something wrong with your car. My 2003 Elantra (with a little more than 220000 miles) with sulev engine and automatic transmission give me around 28-32 mpg (trip computer even more optimistic, as you mentioned). It does not feel slow - not a racing car, of course, but more than enough for regular commute and safe pass other vehicles on freeway. Are you sure that your timing belt installed properly? Did you check timing?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is definitely something wrong with your car. My 2003 Elantra (with a little more than 220000 miles) with sulev engine and automatic transmission give me around 28-32 mpg (trip computer even more optimistic, as you mentioned). It does not feel slow - not a racing car, of course, but more than enough for regular commute and safe pass other vehicles on freeway. Are you sure that your timing belt installed properly? Did you check timing?
I'm going to have it checked again, but im pretty sure we got it right, we had to keep turning the steering wheel to align the timing, I'm not a big gearhead myself.. I just added a bottle of gumout to the tank and it helped with acceleration immediately, going to see how it runs tomorrow.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hm, did I miss something? How is "turning steering wheel" related to timing adjustment? If timing belt was installed incorrectly (camshaft and crankshaft gears misaligned on just one teeth) you'll have all described symptoms: power loss, fuel consumption, engine vibrations etc. You can check timing with stroboscope as explained in service manual, or you can remove timing belt cover and recheck alignment marks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hm, did I miss something? How is "turning steering wheel" related to timing adjustment? If timing belt was installed incorrectly (camshaft and crankshaft gears misaligned on just one teeth) you'll have all described symptoms: power loss, fuel consumption, engine vibrations etc. You can check timing with stroboscope as explained in service manual, or you can remove timing belt cover and recheck alignment marks.
Still need to have it checked, my friend was sick so I had to wait, car gave me a check engine light yesterday while driving code p0117, my temp gauge shot up and I thought it had overheated but I read its just a bad coolant sensor, car is hesitating and driving even worst now lol, also my power steering is squealing like crazy on startup but calms down after 30 seconds or so.. Going to be replacing the sensor and steering pump and have timing belt checked again hopefully resolves issues

1 - 5 of 5 Posts