Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a stroke of possible genius last night after working on a stock turbo car
i noticed that it used a aftercooler whic cooled the air charge after the turbo
soooo why cant we just bolt a inter cooler on that allows high flow and just bolt it to a cone filter on one end and bolt a 3 inch pipe that runs to the throttle body on the other

·
Gaijin
311 Posts
A turbo compresses air. Compressing it causes it to heat up. Therefore an intercooler is put between the turbo and TB to cool the air back down.

Your intake does not compress the air, so it would be useless, unless you are going to spray it with something, but i think that whatever you sprayed it with would not be worth the minimal gain you would get.

If you want a better explanation let me know

·
Registered
540 Posts
Uh. I was always under the impression that compressing something cooled it down.. I believe it is hot because you have really hot air spinning your turbo. ;)

·
Registered
851 Posts
The only N/A car I know of that uses an intercooler is the Hyundai Motorsports racing Tiburon. It makes around 240hp N/A and sports an intercooler to keep the intake charge cool. I would think that the power loss associated with such a setup is offset by the longevity/endurance gains of colder air over the course of a race.

·
Old Newbie
46 Posts
It could acheive some very very small gain in theory if your under hood temperature is very hot and the outside air is very cold, but adding an ic would add restriction. You would also have to lengthen your pipe witch would also add restriction. All that would cause more lost then gain.

By the way, I know that some guys put ice in the airbox for drag racing to cool the intake charge.

·
Gaijin
311 Posts
Phiber said:
Uh. I was always under the impression that compressing something cooled it down.. I believe it is hot because you have really hot air spinning your turbo. ;)
I think its boyle's law. If you increase pressure temp rises.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Dust said:
I think its boyle's law. If you increase pressure temp rises.
I think you're right... it's also referred to as the ideal gas law.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Really. This is why they use a 'condenser' to cool the air in for your air conditioner. Every air can I have ever used blew cold air.

Get a pressure hose; small tip large tip. You blow it on your hand: the large tip will produce a less 'cool' feeling. The small one will produce a 'cooler' feeling.

You can even do it with your mouth in a couple of ways. Trap air in your mouth and blow as hard as you can with your mouth closed. Do this for about 30 seconds and then let go; condensation will come from your mouth. Why? Because it is cooler than the surrounding air.

·
06 GT Silver 5M
59 Posts
Not neccesairly, the air in your mouth is humid close to 100% the reasone you see consinsation is when it is cold out and you realease hot humid air. Condenseing causes temperature to rise, just pick up any chem book. Making something dense heats the hell out of it quick. when you spray air out of a bottle you are loosing heat as the air is becoming "less dense" think about it heat is the way to measure the movement of molecules the more the air molecules bounce against each other the hotter and more densily packed the air is sorry for the chem lecture but three years of it does that to you :)

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
blah blah blah everyone sdaid everythinmg needed to be said, don't do it.

people put ice on their manifolds to cool down after races in between races, you aren't racing, don't do it

shawn :)

sorry if this sounded harsh, i meant no hrarm i promise

·
Registered
156 Posts
Phiber said:
Really. This is why they use a 'condenser' to cool the air in for your air conditioner. Every air can I have ever used blew cold air.
that cold air from a can of compressed air, is rapidly decompressing... that's what makes it cold. the can is losing pressure.. and that's why it cools off.

Phiber said:
Get a pressure hose; small tip large tip. You blow it on your hand: the large tip will produce a less 'cool' feeling. The small one will produce a 'cooler' feeling.

You can even do it with your mouth in a couple of ways. Trap air in your mouth and blow as hard as you can with your mouth closed. Do this for about 30 seconds and then let go; condensation will come from your mouth. Why? Because it is cooler than the surrounding air.
the reason you feel the air as being cooler when you exhale with puckered lips is becuase of decompression. when you pucker your lips you are doing 2 things.
1. creating more back-pressure (compression) by making a point of restriction with your lips. thus causing the air in your mouth to be under higher pressure.
2. the air coming from your lips is decompressing, like the can of air, and thus cool......

Think about Detonation in your cylinders. you know, where the air/fuel combusts before the spark plugs ignite. this happens because the mixture heats under the compression and ignites. Octane levels are essentially a measure of heat tolerances, describing when it will combust under compression.....

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
i dont have time to read it all, but compressing air causes heat. the reason why its cool when you spray air out is because the air is decompressing

1 - 14 of 14 Posts