Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think im n the right place to post this question.....well i dont like the stock antenna and wanna get rid of it.......i just wanted to kno it there is a kit or web site i could a power antenna and a short antenna?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I think the short little antenna looks out of place in the antenna location on the elantra. The short one would look ok on the roof, but that's a lot of work. If you're gonna go through the PITA of changing it to a power antenna, that'd be cool. I think it's more work than it's worth though.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Metra power antenna PW4422 is the answer. You can get it in silver or black mast. Audiooutfitter.com is the place to get it. I had Ultimate Electronics here in Vegas install it for me, and it works like a charm.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Mike,

Mine isn't like the little stubby one... Its about 1.8 ft tall and black rubber. It looks badass in my opinion since i mounted it at the same angle of the stock antenna....

I'll take pics when i get home from "work"

shawn :)

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanx...i really hate the bong bong antenna thats the car comes with....imma have 2 make a change soon....should be too much of a prob to do myself....thax 4 the input

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
yep spoilerdepot is awesome. That's where mine came from. You can find lower prices if you look at spoilerdepot's ebay auctions though. That's how I ordered mine. It was about $190 painted & shipped.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yes and on the metra power antenna,how much does it run + install? :)

And does it just come up when you turn on the car? Or do you get to hit a switch? :)...personally id rather have a switch, had a retractable one on my 88 lncoln marK VII

·
Registered
542 Posts
Ultimate Electronics here in Vegas did mine when they installed my Pioneer deck. They charged me $50 to do it, and they had the deck and antenna installed in an hour, so it can't be that hard.. The antenna does not go up unless I have the radio on.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
brian, i think the wiring is in place, but i'm not 100% certain on this one. the factory head unit's antenna switch-on lead is wired into the harness, so there's a wire that leads somewhere for certain. whether it terminates in the rear near the antenna or somewhere short of there i do not know. my gut instinct is that it's there. there is also 12V for the antenna motor that you can tap into from the hatch area light. so the only question really is whether the switch-on lead is present near the antenna.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
the hatch light circuit can handle the addition of a power antenna.

the switched antenna source from the head unit is just a trigger for the antenna. it can not handle any load. the antenna motor will get its power from the light circuit (or whatever circuit you tap into).

i think the main issue is, is the switched antenna source wire already run from the head unit to the trunk?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts