Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FOR 5DR MODELS ONLY

Very, very easy mod (although costly in parts), but very, very big improvement (IMHO). No real experience required. I think I spent about 15 min on each side & that included installing new bulbs & lubing their sockets w/ bulb grease to prevent corrosion. Ok, let's get to it!

Needed:
Left & Right Taillight assembly for an '04 XD 5dr
(got mine here)
philips screwdriver
8mm wrench (socket preferred, somewhat of a deep one too)

Not required, but I went with anyways:
Bulb grease for the sockets to prevent corrosion (like a buck from Pepboys)
new bulbs. Although the new set did come with some, I decided to be different and ordered up some from here. Went with a pair of the red 24LED Matrix bulbs for the stop lamps and a pair of the red Silver Vision bulbs for the turns.

*BOTH SETS ARE 1157, although pre '04 used 1156 for the turns, the '04s do not. *Remember not to touch the bulb lens with your fingers, the oils will cause them to burn out prematurely.

B4:

Out w/ tha old:

Remove the 2 philips screws holding on the cover inside the hatch.

Remove the 4 nuts securing the assembly. Remember - righty tighty, lefty loosey ;)

Disconnect the wiring harness.

Carefully, slowly, gently pull out the assembly.

We're half way there!

I would recommend plugging the wiring harness into the new sets b4 putting everything back together, just to make sure they are functioning properly. You never know.

In w/ tha new:

Installation is just the reverse.

sorry about the refelection of me in there

After:

Ok, so this DIY was kinda cheesy. I did it because the question of the swap comes up often by newbies, myself included. So there, it's done!​

·
Registered
454 Posts
HatchetMan said:
I do too, that's why I also swapped out the amber turn bulbs for the chrome looking ones. Now to get rid of those damn orange front bumper sidemarkers.
Cover them in red clear vinyl like this

First pic I could find I'll look for another I am pretty sure I have one close up

·
Backstage at RAW 7.19.04
197 Posts
Evil, man, I love your car :cool:

·
Registered
9 Posts
HatchetMan said:
FOR 5DR MODELS ONLY
Went with a pair of the red 24LED Matrix bulbs for the stop lamps and a pair of the red Silver Vision bulbs for the turns.
How did thoes LED's work for ya? i tried some other ones i got at kragen on my brake lights and it made my turn signals blink really fast.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
asthmatic said:
How did thoes LED's work for ya? i tried some other ones i got at kragen on my brake lights and it made my turn signals blink really fast.
These LEDs for the brakes did not affect turn blinks at all, and the Silver Vision's that I put in the turns are bulbs - not LEDs, so no blinking probs at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts