Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've owned our 01 Elantra A/T for 3-1/2 years now. Bought it at 119k, now at 153k. In the past year, the car has developed a starting problem when it's been sitting for a few minutes. When you go to start it, it will turn over and then die out immediately. Most of the time, on the second start it catches, sometimes with a small pop out of the exhaust manifold, and then it acts normal. Driving is 100% fine, still gets 26mpg. Plugs were done 10k ago. No CEL.

I've never changed the fuel filter (don't know where it is) or fuel pump in this. It almost seems like it loses some fuel pressure when it sits. Some cold mornings it may take up to 5 crank/die cycles before it catches. Even with priming the pump a few times. I do notice it stumbles if you try and move it before it warms up for a few minutes. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

Ryan

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
The fuel filter is in the tank. To get to it, remove the rear seat bottom, and a cover, then you see the fuel pump and fuel gaige assembly unit. Remove that, pull the filter and replace it. There is an o-ring that you have to be careful of. You might have to replace that as well.

It sounds as the pump is not holding pressure when it sits. This can be a regulator or pump issue. Injectors also might leak as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't smelled any raw fuel so I think it's staying contained in the system. Where' the fuel pressure regulator located on this car? If I'm replacing the filter I may as well swap out the pump with a younger one since I've got things apart. I imagine it's a pretty cheap eBay item.

Ryan

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
The regulator, I think is in the tank on the same assembly as the fuel pump.

I would not go with Ebay on these, unless you can see proof they are new. When you get a used one, you never know what you are getting.

What I would do is price one at a dealer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good call. I should see how much a new one is first before exploring the alternatives. Thanks for the advice, CC.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
The fuel pump alone from www.hyundaipartsonline.com is $135.00. However, get the fuel pump/sending unit/regulator assembly part number and go there and see how much it is. Dealers generally replace the whole assembly in most cases.

We don't know what is causing the drain back or lack of pressure. The filter, pump and regulator are usually the cause of this, and determining which one is a fuel pressure test, but a drain back is a bit harder to pinpoint.

Can each fail? Yes, they can.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts