Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok check this out...

Lately I've noticed that sometimes when I go to WOT or close to it, my engine seems to choke. This would only happen while it was raining or the roads where wet. It raised certain concerns, so once it stopped raining today, I went outside and removed my air filter. I almost got sick to my stomach!!! The wire mesh is rusty and about 90% of the filter element is damp. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Now, the filter is mounted about 16-18 inches off the ground. I know for a fact that I haven't hit any deep puddles, as I've been careful about that. Somehow, my filter is picking up a lot of water/moisture. Part of the problem is that I live in Florida, and we've had afternoon rains almost everyday for the past 3 weeks. That and the high humidity. :(

I took the CAI piping apart and took a closer look. Luckily, there was no sign of rust, water, or mud anywhere inside them. Everything was nice and clean. :nosthumbs:

I had a fresh new filter, so I installed it right away. So now I'm wondering if anyone out there has had the same problem. I didn't think I would need a Bypass Valve, but now I think I might get one. Either that or I'll go to a Short Ram Intake. Don't really want to though, since I'd like the coolest air possible in this hot Florida weather.

Thanks for advice or input...

Axel

·
Registered
231 Posts
This was why I have said that CAI is not all that better than short ram. Unless you maintenance it regularly, it could actually perform worse than the short ram. And with the setup that we have, where the filter is just a pain to get to, most people are just gonna leave it alone and forget about cleaning it once in a while.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I hear ya. But I've only had that filter on for 2 months. I didn't think it needed checking for at least another month or two. I'm glad I checked it today though. Anyway, thanks for the response.

Axel

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
The bypass valve really won't help out you problem unfortunatly. It only works when the filter is basically completely submerged. What you might want to try is a heat sheild to keep the water off the filter like this Injen one

I'm sure there are others but this one came to mind and was easily found. It might decrease airflow a little but it should help with the wet and peace of mind can be worth a hp or two sometime. If you wanted to counter act the shields airflow dampening you could use a filter that has "filter" at the top and the side instead of just the sides.

·
Not such a Newbie
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was actually thinking of fabricating some sort of shield...I didn't realize I could get these. Thanks a lot for pointing that out. As to the filter I was using....it was a cheap one, but it did have the filter at the top AND all around the sides. Anyway, I'm definately going to look into either byuing that shield or fabricating one on my own. Thanks again!

Axel

·
Registered
78 Posts
I say, Buy a better filter.....

which brand filter were you using?

I have a Injen CAI and I live in the pacific north west(Well known for raining),
and my injen filter seems fine......

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
I fabricated a shield from sheet aluminum in about 5 minutes when i had my CAI. It worked great. I attached it to one of the plug screw things on the bottom of the inner fender well covering and to the stud that the nut that was a bitch to get to for everyone from the original oem filter. Held firm and did the job.

Yes, get a better filter and yes go SRI

1 - 8 of 8 Posts