Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Smilin' Pooper Scooper
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to change the Timing Belt and water pump. I'm considering swapping for some lighter performance pulleys while i'm in there. Any recommendations? I'm having trouble finding any for the '05 also.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
Ive had mine for erhmm... well over 100k miles. It seems to make it a little harder to get the belts to stfu when you install new ones, but that is easy enough anyway.

·
Smilin' Pooper Scooper
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what are the gains like? i know there is no technical HP gain, but is there faster throttle response? faster 0-60?

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
If you spend alot on it you will be pissed off. Gains are decent and I noticed better gas mileage after getting it.

·
Smilin' Pooper Scooper
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does anyone else sell them? I'd like to get them, but I'm not willing to pay almost $300 for them.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
if ur not willing to pay what they ask... then dont even bother getting them in the first place. if ur dead set on doing a pulley... just do the UDP aka crank pulley. the one where u can get to it thru the passenger fender well... do that one... no real need to do the rest.

·
Smilin' Pooper Scooper
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I've read through the listing you gave, jimbo, and now i've got more questions! i'm not planning on doing this myself, my mechanic will do the dirty work. will the OBX pulleys be on the accessory drive belt? where is our timing belt located? is it visible just by popping the hood? my last car that i had performance stuff on had a timing chain that was inside a housing.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
the timing belt and accessory belts are all on the same side... however the timing belt is hidden under the timing belt cover, so you can directly see it without removing the cover first. how ever... all accessory belts are readily visible when you pop the hood.

oh and to answer your question, YES, any pulleys you see are more than likely for accessory belts. the timing belt would take a "timing cam/gear". most people dont call the timing pulley, a pulley. because its not really a pulley.

·
Smilin' Pooper Scooper
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so, if one were to create a sleeper, they could upgrade their pulleys and cam gears. in the past, i concentrated more on air movement than lightening the engine load. now, i'd like to try a combination. i don't want to do any internals because this is still a daily driver. intake, exhaust, pulleys.... maybe cam gears. i've always wanted a lightweight flywheel, too. now time to get the money together to start making purchases.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
cam gear*. we only have 1 cam gear. dual cams, but only 1 gear. and the pulleys have so little effect on the engine load... ur be better off investing in something else...like that fly wheel u wanted. or, a cold air intake, header and exhaust. any of these will have more effect on your performance than the light weight pulleys would.

·
Smilin' Pooper Scooper
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so far, i have zero mods (other than my little add-on XM unit). here's the plan... i'm getting an intake, no CAI, just a short ram. getting a new head unit...again. now i'm considering these pulleys. the flywheel is intriguing, but, again, i can't find one for sale. also, what's the cost to install. the pulleys, i can have installed while the timing belt is being replaced next week.

what i'm looking to get from the pulleys is faster throttle response and wheel HP. IE, less lost power at the crank. am i on the right track here, or talking out of my a$$.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
the gains will be so small from these pulleys, u wouldnt notice a difference... if u want a better throttle response get the clutch and fly wheel, and a header + exhaust. thatll blow your mind... pulleys ud never notice any difference.. n i doubt ud see any dyno gains erither... so dont waste your money. pulleys are more of a.... "just for looks" kind of mod..

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
you will get more power, a little. On the cam gear, you have CVVT, the engine adjusts cam timing on its own.

I would not go overboard with the bolt on mods. The beta seems to gain quickly then plateau. Do the basic stuff that you mentioned then leave it alone. (start saving for boost, they seem to love boost. I blame the head for the n/a power drop off with bolt ons)

After you have the basics covered id look at the corners of the car for upgrade. Suspension and your unsprung weight.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
idk man...my elantra feels like a whole NEW car... all i have is a CAI, header + exhaust and a crank pulley. the difference vs stock is incredible... 0 - 60 times have improved greatly!

like ive said before... personally id forget the pulleys and get something more beneficial, like any of the things i mentioned, intake, header, exhaust. suspension mods should even be a question, theyre a MUST!

but if u do decide to go turbo... then forget about the intake and header... but dont forget about brakes. get better pads, and rotors. possibly upgrade to bigger.

·
Smilin' Pooper Scooper
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i'm not worried about turbo. i have now erased pulleys from my brain. what are they again? hahaha. intake, exhaust. maybe header later on. and the sound. i need tunes, my XM isn't working right now (i guess that's what happens when you don't pay the bill :) ) and my stock stereo is the tape deck. the tape player is broken and for some reason, i have never seen a Hyundai with working AM radio... so i can't even here my ball games... FM around here kinda sucks. So my first *real* mods will be intake and stereo.

Thanks for all the info guys! Really helped and save me some money too!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts