Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Any other gold elantras?
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to give those pulstar spark plugs a shot, ordered them off of amazon.com for $90 shipped ($10 off right now and free shipping)

There was an extensive discussion
http://www.elantraxd.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26908&highlight=pulstar
here

so I don't care to argue the mechanics behind it, this is just to report what I find.

My initial thoughts are, others have tested it and seen positive results. I hope to find enough of a mpg increase to justify the $45 extra dollars I spent on these over iridium's.

·
7 psi tunned by poweraxel
3,203 Posts
11hp on the Z? holy crap thats alot for just plugs, even if the XD just gets 1hp it would be still worth the extra $45

I been looking into buying these too on my next tune-up, hope the results are good.

·
Any other gold elantras?
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well the idea is that they will pay for themselves.. with the price of gas now, it's not too far-fetched a notion. an extra 3 mpg over 10 gallons means one less gallon i have to refill (assuming 30 mpg). means just 10ish tanks of gas to pay off that 40 dollar difference.

any hp gained would make this one of the cheapest hp/$ mods we can do.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
i coulda sworn i read on one of the Z forums that these plugs don't do anything special but i guess you'll have to see what it does on our engines.

·
Any other gold elantras?
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the cheapest mod would be an intake. besides all the free mods.

but anyways, let us know how they work out for ya.
if they pay for themselves in efficiency savings then they'll be free. hence making them cheapest ;)

I'll definitely let everyone know.. i'm skeptical but hoping for something positive.

·
Any other gold elantras?
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh but the intake sounds so delicious, hard not too! plugs will be out of sight out of mind.. i kinda doubt i'll feel enough of a gain to want to get on the throttle more

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It would be great to have definite statistics on your results. Like before and after dyno's. But that's just too much money to test plugs. But then again if the plugs provide some kind of gain you'll have proof.

·
Any other gold elantras?
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
the best i'll be able to do is mpg stats. i'll try and record a video of 0-60 before and after, that way you dont have to take my word for it.

·
Any other gold elantras?
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just shipped, hope to have it by this weekend, but we'll see. I've never heard of 'A-1 Courier Services'

And i've read enough independent tests to believe it's not entirely hocus pocus, we'll see how it does with our car though. Some mazda guys are seeing good results with them, even had a group buy (50 somethin people i think) and they got all four for $70

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
If they work that might be a good idea. We would need more than 50 people because 70 is still steep. Search around for Dynos. There is one in my area for 60 bucks a run.

·
Any other gold elantras?
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I got them yesterday and installed them today

Before installing, i checked the gaps, ranged from .35 to .45 so i set them all to .40 (.44 is the max for the plugs so if you get em, definitely check the gap beforehand)

Install was straightforward, the plugs are a little tall so the rubber seal doesn't clip on all the way. Started fine and my initial impression was that it was louder.

Took it for a drive, it ran more smoothly then it had originally, but that could have been to new plugs in general. Can't really quantify this, it just felt like it ran better.

When I got to the main road and ran 0-60 i was impressed. As i said it was smoother, but when i got past 3-4k it climbed the rpm band noticeably faster then it did before.

My initial impression is very positive. We'll see if any problems arise and i'll top off my tank and see if mpg increases

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Like I said man lets get a group buy going. Dont you also have to buy there wire sets to make it complete.

·
Any other gold elantras?
468 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Like I said man lets get a group buy going. Dont you also have to buy there wire sets to make it complete.
They already offered us a group buy, %10 off. Right now on amazon you can get $10 off and free shipping, thats probably the best we can do.

No, new wires aren't required. All the dyno results I've seen have just been replacing the plugs

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Maybe I was thinking of a different brand that had a Pulsar coil in the wires. Hows she driving.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts