Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is for everyone/anyone who owns a bike. What bike do you have? How do you like it and what would you look for in your first bike? What features do you like or dislike about the bike.

I will be completing my riders course tomorrow and will be looking for a bike soon. I am looking for something relatively inexpensive for my first bike, I know that in 6 months to a year I will be trading it in or selling it for a real bike, but right now I am looking for something to get the feel of riding on and something I can "throw away" after I am done with it. I really like the look of a sport touring bike. I am even considering buying used but prefer new.

I am also looking at buying a new house - which is why I am looking for something inexpensive.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Robert you'll put your eye out. LOL oh wait that was a BB gun. Look for a 500 if you want something to learn on. Even if you get a 600 you will soon outgrow it. or so I have been told by everyone that has ever ridden one.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Ah yes, the ol' "which bike should I get first question."
I have had 3 bikes in my lifetime, so far.
The new 600's are nothing like they were 15 years ago. Some 600's are even quicker than a lot of 750's. So, don't worry about not having enough power to learn with or grow into. Stay away from the 250's and 500's very wimpy bikes and not good to get you out of a tight situation (in terms of power).

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
evil247 said:
Robert you'll put your eye out. LOL oh wait that was a BB gun. Look for a 500 if you want something to learn on. Even if you get a 600 you will soon outgrow it. or so I have been told by everyone that has ever ridden one.
I agree. After we buy our new house I will be looking at one of three bikes - VROD, Soft Tail Duece, or the Night Train. I just want something that would be easy to learn on and not very expensive, since I already know I will be getting rid of it within the year.

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
A lot of people have different opinions in terms of what would make the best first bike. I know one guy who started out with an old single-cylinder 35 hp motorcycle, and my roommate who got a Yamaha R6 w/ 120 hp. My roommate really got into learning tricks and challenging himself to the point where he got himself into trouble. He wiped out several times and caused some injuries and eventually sold the bike after about a year of owning it.

So... I don't know, I'm not a biker but it doesn't seem like a 100+ hp bike is a good one to learn on. Unless you know you can restrain yourself from pushing the limits.

·
EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD!
1,361 Posts
rckozma said:
I agree. After we buy our new house I will be looking at one of three bikes - VROD, Soft Tail Duece, or the Night Train. I just want something that would be easy to learn on and not very expensive, since I already know I will be getting rid of it within the year.
With those 3 bike it seems you like performance cruiser types, I would whole heartedly suggest the 94-03 Honda Magna. It's a beast of a 750, the motor is based off the old 750 Honda sport bikes, and pulls better 1/4 mile times then most big v-twins. A good used one can be had for @ $4000 and you can find some of the older ones in less popular colors for less. I have buddy who bought one to do like you, ride it for a year or so and trade up, but still has it after 5 yrs, he loves it, and says he can't find a v-twin that is as fun to ride as the Magna.

http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/0/9/74227309.htm

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts

:abovelol: :abovelol: :abovelol: :abovelol:

JFWY.. sorry, had to do it. Don't care for bikes, but that's just me... Good luck, and don't poke yur eye out.

·
EVERYONE LOVES HYPNOTOAD!
1,361 Posts
FordFasteRR said:
some of those magnas are v4's... in the 750 cc range i think...

but yeah... you will be bored to death with anything lower than 600cc in a cruiser OR a sport bike..

lol
Yep the Magna is a V4 94-03 are 750cc, older ones came in 500cc, 700cc, and 1100cc.

sport bikes can be very fun in the 600cc and lower, but for a cruiser the smaller (under 700cc) bikes are way slow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My first bike was a little Suzuki 50cc dirt bike for Jr Moto-x....I'd recommend that for anyone under the age of...oh....13, maybe. Otherwise, be a man, get a 600-750cc. My first street bike was a Ninja ZX-6R - very light so it handles well and has just enough power to get you out of those risky situations (which you WILL get into your first year or so of riding), but not so much power that you'll lose control. If you're looking for a cruiser, I'd recommend the Yamaha VStar Silverado...650cc, and very very comfortable. In fact one of the cheapest yet most comfortable cruiser's I've ridden, beaten only by the Kawasaki Vulcan. If you can't tell, I don't like Honda's...whether it's cruiser, touring, or SS, they always have too stiff a suspension, regardless of tuning, and the gears never transition as smoothly as with the others I've mentioned. It's all a matter of what you personally feel the most comfortable with.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
I had a GSXR600.....I wouldnt go smaller than 600 for a sport but My dad had a Honda Spirit Shadow 750 and It was a pretty cool bike. Had kind of a chopper look to it!

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks everyone. I was thinking of maybe getting a sport bike now, if it is not that expensive (less than $5k) then I might even keep it when I get the cruiser within the year. I was kind of thinking about a 600 or 750, that way if it is easy to handle I was going to try to talk the wife into riding it when I get the other one.

·
Premium Member
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hyunelan2 said:

:abovelol: :abovelol: :abovelol: :abovelol:

JFWY.. sorry, had to do it. Don't care for bikes, but that's just me... Good luck, and don't poke yur eye out.
That is pretty funny, the only problem with it is that is the same thing my wife wants me to get :( - haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts