Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwin it out there, which is better the Short Ram Air or Long Cold Air? Looking for opinions to help decide what I pick up.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Short ram intake = hot air from engine compartment, cold air = cold air which will let your engine run better, Myself I run the SRI in the winter to let the car warm up faster, and run the cold air in the summer months to take advantage of the cooler air which will be much better for your engine, but this really depends on your location.

you being in Alberta I say run the CAI in the summer and the SRI or stock airbox in the winter, if you drive your car in the winter that is. You can run the CAI all year but the only thing is in the winter the car takes for ever to warm up with a CAI.

Mark,

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
technically... ram air, isnt a short intake... ram air is an intake where the inlet is exposed to the oncoming air... which basically... "rams" air into the intake piping... but thats if your being technical, just figured id clear that up.

if u ever go look at some pontiacs... and im sure other cars as well... like my dads sx4... the fore most intake inlet is in the hood/grill area, where air gets forced in, thats a ram air. SRI's are not "ram" intakes.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Pete03GLS is right, ram air is technicaly a CAI with the shortest and most direct route to the intake manifold, usually mounted in the top direct front of a vehicle such as in the newer Firebirds. thanks for clearing up that debate, lmao

Mark,

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
either way, neither makes a lick of difference.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
Anything vs anything. lol

Just look at the factory setup. its already a cold air intake.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
its very restrictive tho, u cant argue with that. cold air or not, replacing the stock intake system, with either an SRI or CAI... does increase power.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
Prove to me that its restrictive.

If you're worried about restriction, pull the resonator out.

To argue that there's a power increase is just stupid. minuscule at best.

·
The Euro Guy
1,117 Posts
Agreed, the biggest gain you can get in the intake part is the filter. Buy a k&n drop-in.
I run the stock intake, with a less restrictive bottom (the jetta is really more restrictive, unlike the elantra.)

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
lmao... u guys r funny.
your face is funny.

Intakes are all about the sound, just like an exhaust on these cars. Little to nothing to be gained. Just noise.

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
tommy, its sad that u think so. lol but i dont feel like arguing.

even on our little cars, intakes make a difference. its proven.

·
Registered
604 Posts
an intake is a mod that is a step up to a bigger mod combination, ie:exhaust + fuel + intake = more power and a very noticable one at that! he never stated anything about adding power he just wanted to know what people prefered to help him make his choice, you guys argue over silly ****, lmao

The stock airbox DOES restrict, pull your system out and look at the plastic box and see for your self, It is meant for the engine to run at a realiable level without strain and best fuel economy. The most direct way into the IM is best for power increase, but in order to get more power at a noticable level you must do exhaust, fuel and air after that it's a cost factor (engne internals etc....)

go with the CAI (not only for looks but sound too!) that way you will always have the stock system to fall back to if need be, it not only looks great but sounds great too, it's not about the hp gain with just an intake its about the collness factor until you get the other mods, lmao

any gains from an intake are the best for the buck you spend on one! if you have dyno'd and tested one, .9 to say about 5 hp if your lucky, but do a dyno and prove people wrong!

Mark,

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
tommy, its sad that u think so. lol but i dont feel like arguing.

even on our little cars, intakes make a difference. its proven.
Where's your dyno sheets?

·
2.Slow
9,741 Posts
tommy r u kidding? take 2 indentical elantras, and put an sri/cai intake on 1, and leave the other with a stock box... and race them. theres your dyno sheet.

u literally can not argue with this one tommy....

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
Have you done this?

What are the claims? 4hp? Is that compairing SRI vs CAI vs Clean stock filter? Or are these "hey i took out my OEM filter thats 5 years old and replaced it with a new SRI and now my car is uber"

Thats total bs man. You race 2 cars one with and one without, you know who's going to win? The better driver. try to argue with that and Ill laugh at you even more than i usually do.

4-5hp is within margin of error. complete bs try to say one is better than the other.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
go with the cold air, and when its raining, just switch it to the short ram..... cold air sounds a lot better too man, you can hear the engine "roar" more than the short ram...lol

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Have you done this?

What are the claims? 4hp? Is that compairing SRI vs CAI vs Clean stock filter? Or are these "hey i took out my OEM filter thats 5 years old and replaced it with a new SRI and now my car is uber"

Thats total bs man. You race 2 cars one with and one without, you know who's going to win? The better driver. try to argue with that and Ill laugh at you even more than i usually do.

4-5hp is within margin of error. complete bs try to say one is better than the other.
no offense tommy, but intakes are proven on any car. why would EVERY tuner use them. or why would companies make them. 5 hp on a small engine is a bonus period. you are arguing for the sake of it, like usual. But you are right and every other tuner is wrong. I mean, why use it if you are the only one thats right, right? Years and years of research and experience from hundreds of thousands of people doesn't mean a thing cause you say it doesn't. And adding an exhaust to a muscle car doesn't do anything I suppose, either. Hell, why bother with any mod like that. they don't do anything according to you.

Get a life and stop being a jerk just because you want to be an internet hard ***. Grow up. If he wants 5 extra horse power, why do you need to be a dick about it. Make your opinion in one post and get over it. arguing and arguing makes you look like a fool.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Where's your dyno sheets?
All over EXD, if not - they are burried in the archives. In the initial days of the Elantra, there were many people with before/after CAI dynos. Generally, you're looking at 5hp with a CAI (3.7% increase). SRI is about 2hp (1.5% increase). Outside of power increases, most people see better throttle response with the CAI/SRI. Some people have also claimed better mpg.

FWIW, I have a K&N drop-in panel in my stock intake system.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts