Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to know if anyone else has this issue. I took my car into the dealer in 2008 and my rear brakes were worn out. I had them replaced and 10,000 miles and 1 year later they were shot again. They told me that was normal and replaced them. 1 year later, another 10,000 miles they were wore out again. I told the dealership that this was crazy and they told me that since I do in city driving that is why my brakes are wearing out so fast. I drive 9 miles to work each way. Here it is September of 2011 and I am having the rear brakes changed a 4th time. I have a 2005 Hyundai Elantra GTS. I can't imagine having to spend $300 per year just on brakes!! Can anyone tell me if they don't know what they are saying.

Tiffany

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
Heavy city driving would kill the rear brakes like that. It is normal, but for $300 I hope you are getting new rotors too. Otherwise it's the cost of the pads and maybe an hour labor at a shop for rear pads.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
On the XD, and many cars, rear brakes will wear faster than the front due to the porportioning valve design. Older cars brakes typically had the front brakes wear out before the rear, but on modern cars, it is the rear brakes that go first.

·
Banned
2,532 Posts
On the XD, and many cars, rear brakes will wear faster than the front due to the porportioning valve design.
It has nothing to do with the proportioning valve. It has to do with the rear brake pads/shoes being smaller and having less material. Compare the pads/shoes of newer cars to older cars and it's amazing how much smaller they are.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
make sure your parking brake isnt dragging. mine drags on occasion and will wear out pads pretty quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
something has to be wrong, mywife's 2006 xd has 53k miles and at least 40k of it is a in-town driving and no rear or front brakes problem/replace, my 2005 accent front pads changed at 26k in-town (and im a really crazy driver) so 10k in your case is "almost impossible"

try to go to highway, make few miles and stop trying to use the least breaking, touch front brakes - should be cold/warm, touch rear brakes if they are hot/too hot to touch your parking brake is probably dragging

·
Registered
295 Posts
The next time they tell you to replace the brakes, take them to be checked at les schwab for free first. I've had my brakes on for a year and a half, with tons of 100+mph stops, and all 4 brakes are at 90%+ still

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
On the XD, and many cars, rear brakes will wear faster than the front due to the porportioning valve design. Older cars brakes typically had the front brakes wear out before the rear, but on modern cars, it is the rear brakes that go first.
yeah i'm with ya...i think there i a serious brake bias issue....with the larger brakes upfront everything is wearing much more evenly.

·
Registered
988 Posts
What kind of rear brake do you have? I have never changed my rear drum brake as far as I remember. My car is '03 and it has 229,000 miles on it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts