Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will try to convert my GLS (2005) rear drums to disc. The easiest way will be taking parts from a GT at the junkyard.

Anybody have a better idea? Perhaps someone that already did the job can give some advise.

If possible I will do the upgrade to bigger brakes at the same time. I will remanin in 4 lugs since just bought some nice Sonata 04 rims and tires.

Thanks guys.

Elantrissimo

·
Registered
51 Posts
The best advice i can give to you is if you plan to do it, get stainless steel brakes hoses if you can.
I have goodridge on my car and it makes a good difference

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
If you look around, you can typcially get the entire rear suspension, bolt in, from the boneyard for around 200-250, that'd be the easiest way to go, just bring the whole thing home and swap it in (of course you'd put new rotors and pads in), or just pull what you need off it, and sell the rest to the scrapyard.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
We should get a list together of everything needed. I've only seen the needed parts spread throughout the thread, but not compiled in a list.

*Knuckles/Spindles
*Hub bearings
*Parking brake cables
*Calipers
*Rotors and Pads
*Brake hoses

Did I miss anything?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok. After reading many post and getting advise from some of you guys, this is the plan for the rear brake conversion...Drum to disc.......

Knuckles/Spindles/Hubs from Elantra 05 GT
Bigger Rotors from Sonata V6 (03-05) Slotted and drilled from R1 Concepts
Calipers: either XG350 or Tiburon, as well as pads. The XG350 are double pistons.

Any imput out there?

I just finished with the wheels, tires, shocks, springs as stated: 16 inches Sonata V6 (05) wheels with 205-50-16 Kumhos, lowering springs from AG Kit, and struts from KYB-GR2. The ride is as different as night to day. Guys, is like I am driving a different car now. Fuel economy is a lot better also. Just a little bit stiff, but feels like a real road animal. I have to drive around 100 miles a day, so for me is a big deal.
Posting pictures soon. And getting ready for COTM !!!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ok. After reading many post and getting advise from some of you guys, this is the plan for the rear brake conversion...Drum to disc.......

Knuckles/Spindles/Hubs from Elantra 05 GT
Bigger Rotors from Sonata V6 (03-05) Slotted and drilled from R1 Concepts
Calipers: either XG350 or Tiburon, as well as pads. The XG350 are double pistons.

Any imput out there?

I just finished with the wheels, tires, shocks, springs as stated: 16 inches Sonata V6 (05) wheels with 205-50-16 Kumhos, lowering springs from AG Kit, and struts from KYB-GR2. The ride is as different as night to day. Guys, is like I am driving a different car now. Fuel economy is a lot better also. Just a little bit stiff, but feels like a real road animal. I have to drive around 100 miles a day, so for me is a big deal.
Posting pictures soon. And getting ready for COTM !!!!
Ok, I'm curious as to why in all of the conversions I've read no one has thought to change the brake master cylinder? The master cylinder varies depending on ABS, Traction control, Stability control and is valved differently for disc/drum and 4-wheel disc. If you don't change the master cylinder the rear discs will not be recieving the correct pressure from the proportioning valve. While they will work, they will not work at 100% of their potential as the front brakes handle 60-80% of the braking. During braking as much as 90% of the vehicle weight is on the front wheels and the rear brakes are adjusted accordingly. The brake system for drums was designed to work for that system configuration and just swapping the drums for rotors, while rotors out perform drums, may cause handling problems while braking...

Just my thoughts..

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Ok, I'm curious as to why in all of the conversions I've read no one has thought to change the brake master cylinder? The master cylinder varies depending on ABS, Traction control, Stability control and is valved differently for disc/drum and 4-wheel disc. If you don't change the master cylinder the rear discs will not be recieving the correct pressure from the proportioning valve. While they will work, they will not work at 100% of their potential as the front brakes handle 60-80% of the braking. During braking as much as 90% of the vehicle weight is on the front wheels and the rear brakes are adjusted accordingly. The brake system for drums was designed to work for that system configuration and just swapping the drums for rotors, while rotors out perform drums, may cause handling problems while braking...

Just my thoughts..

Do you know this for a fact? Because Hytech over at elantraclub.com says the vlaves are the same for disc and drum. I believe he is a Hyundai tech. I looked up the parts and came up with different valves as well. However, the actually master cylinder is the same for disc and drum. The only master differences are if you you no abs, abs, or abs/traction control. http://www.worldpartsexpress.com/pa...ntra&year=2002&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

But, the metering valves are showing to be different for disc and drum. It doesn't list a proportioning valve, so I would guess it would be in with the metering valve as a combo valve: http://www.worldpartsexpress.com/pa...ntra&year=2002&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
I trust Jasen. He pulled part numbers for all of them for me and the proportioning valves are the same. The difference in the master cylinders from the drum to disc is volume/pressure and if you have ABS then the proportioning valves is contained within the abs unit.

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
That part numbers are different for the valves for both the GT sedan and the GLS sedan. That's why I'm swapping mine. As for the MC, the ABS MC will not work because there is no place to attach the valves. Your best bet is to get a non ABS tib MC and booster. The booster has a higher boosting ratio and the MC bore is slightly bigger (for those with Tibby front upgrade) but the brake lines don't line up and you would have to fab up new ones. I'm still looking into this and if the booster will bolt up.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
That part numbers are different for the valves for both the GT sedan and the GLS sedan. That's why I'm swapping mine. As for the MC, the ABS MC will not work because there is no place to attach the valves. Your best bet is to get a non ABS tib MC and booster. The booster has a higher boosting ratio and the MC bore is slightly bigger (for those with Tibby front upgrade) but the brake lines don't line up and you would have to fab up new ones. I'm still looking into this and if the booster will bolt up.
The price difference is huge to. $28 vs $155!

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
ok its an old thread but i just want to clarify this, I already have the oem bbk up front, SO can I put rear tib calipers and rear sonata rotors on the back end or will I have brake issues?

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
i have a gt, im curious about going a size larger in the rear

·
Super Moderator
12,635 Posts
I haven't heard of anyone using sonata rotors on the rear.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
hmm well i guess i'll have to be the first to try it, i'll see if i can get some tib rear calipers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts