Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This question goes out to Ilan and those of you who have changed the colors in your non-GT dashes. And, are the stock bulbs incandescent or LED (superlumination sells several kinds)???

When you replace the 194 bulbs and difusers, do you change the colors of the warning lights and shift indicator lights in the dash, or do those areas have their own bulbs and can you leave them the same? :confused:

Essentially, I only want to change the colors of the numbers and markings on the gauges and nothing else in the dash (including the odometer, the accessory/warning lights) :cool:

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
The warning lights and gear indicator lights are clear. They are colored by the plastic they shine through on the gauge faces. The odometer, speedometer, temp, and fuel gauges are colored by the color of light bulb in there (those 194s and 74s with the green bulb condoms on them).

As far as bulb type. The stockers are incandescent. Incand. colored light bulbs will 'dim' or lose their color after time. LEDs are better replacements when using color.

·
Too much time spent here.
1,258 Posts
I replaced the bulb for the Temperature gauge and it wasn't a 194 or 74 bulb, I had to use one that I had left over from my Ford Probe, and there was no Bulb condom on it and it shows up green and it's a clear bulb, so the color behind that marker is definately in the plastic of the instrument panel. Unless this is a Canadian Feature only.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Well, that's prob. not a canadian only feature. I replaced all my lights when I had the KORE faces with either 194s or 74s. I didn't have the stock faces on to know if that is where some green comes from, but the bulbs did have the green covers over them. I'll have to check that out later (I have a spare set of OEMs sitting around).

·
Romans 8:28
266 Posts
Replacing your 194 gauge bulbs with LEDs will give you poor results. If you want to replace the bulbs in your gauges, replace them with polarg bulbs. They are not LEDs and they will not fade (according to those who sell them). They are very expensive at about $6 a bulb, but better than wasting your money on the LEDs like I did.

Replacing the 194s will effect the odometer but nothing else. The fuel and temp gauges are going to need condoms on them to help change everything to a uniform color.

You can change the color of the gear indicator lights on the auto by removing a small sliver of colored film behind them that is behind the main gauge face. I haven't figured out an efficient way of removing it without taking off the entire gauge face yet. I'm too lazy to take my dash off again.

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OneLove, I have a 2004 and things in the dash/gauges are different compared to the 01-03...thats why I cant use the gauges from the group buy!

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately not for my damn GLS green instrument cluster....but I will be fixing that shortly! :cool:

·
Moving up the food chain
110 Posts
RonnieSan those Polarg bulbs will give a even ilumination to the gauges, no hot/cold spots that happen when LEDs are used?

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
when you swap out the bulbs to red, everything becomes red that wasnt to begin with.

·
Moving up the food chain
110 Posts
and that's what I want, the hole thing red, but most of the people (if not all) that has used LEDs to do the conversion ends up having hotspots (places on the dash ilumination that are brigther than the rest of the dash) right on top of where the leds. the other option will be incandecent but the colored once won't have the correct intensity so the dash looks dim. what I want to know those will provide enough intensity to light up the dash the way the stock ones do.

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
on my old GLS, if you do a search for "Vampyrate's Hoop D" you can see that i did bulb swaps for mine and changed the blinkers to red, and most of the "warning" lights to either white, blue, or red. nothing was left stock color when i did it. there is no need for LED conversions (they do tend to have hotspots) and regular incandescent bulbs work just fine if you are going red.

·
i <3 torque
3,946 Posts
ok, so this is a ressurrection of this post...[rant] does ANYONE know what kind of bulbs these damn HVAC gauges take?? i tried to pull them out to put the new red bulbs in and OOPS!! they are just a bulb with two leads...no problem i say to myself, ill just wire in LED's...well thats become a dim as hell pain in my ***...i just want red bulbs without hacking and crimping and cuttingf and ****...i was looking at the neo wedge lights on autoilumination.com but i dont know if the bases are different or what...am i just going to have to go to the dealership and get new bulbs, then either dip the lights in red paint, or put condoms on them, or is there someone that knows the damn name for these lights....[/rant]

·
My name is Aaron
7,827 Posts
HVAC takes a 74 bulb for the buttons on the top, for the other parts, you need to either clear them with super glue (whoever figured that out is a genius!) and paint them red with translucent paint, or you need to go ahead and do teh LED conversion

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
the hvac is a pita to work on...some people are cool enough to do HVAC led conversions, but you are limited in the colors that work.

I would like to see pics of an HVAC where the color was cleaned with superglue and the new colors came out good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts