Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I had to do this so I could install my DVD player in the section that the HVAC was occupying... I Don't know if anyone else is interested in doing it, but i figured I'd right up how to do it anyway.

First you need to take off the dash fascia. It has two screws directly above the guage cluster and two screws behind the ashtray. Everything else is just clips, keep pulling slowly all around and it'll come off..

Now, there are four screws holding the HVAC onto the fascia frame. Take the screws out, and pull the HVAC controls towards you. Unclip the four harnesses in the back. Two white and two black.

Now here is the fun part. DO NOT CUT THESE WIRES YET. I did and realized too late that i had screwed myself, there are at least two wires in each harness that are EXACTLY the same. (i.e. red and red) there is NO DIFFERENCE, so you need to cut one wire, extend it and splice it back into the harness before you cut another... I know this might seem like a PITA, but BELIEVE ME you don't want the mess I had of trying to guess which red wire goes to which red wire.... I had it at first that when i hit the defroster the air conditioner came on, and vice versa...

Now, when you have cut all the wires, I think there is 47 total, and spliced them all, its time to put them to the glove box. The box comes off sorta PITA wise, you have these two rubber stops on the sides, you have to pull down and out at the same time, now the glove box will fall farther than its supposed to.. Close it up again and reach underneath, feel the two pins that act like hinges? Well squeeze the outside of each one and pull towards the opposite side of the vehicle. (Left one towards right, right one towards left). They kinda suck, but once you get them out, they are much easier to put in take out after...

Now, you will see the frame of the dash sitting there... Take all the wires you have and wire tie them together, then wrap them in some thick electrical tape to make one nice big wire loom. Snake them through the dash to the right through the ploygon whole right in front and to the left of the glovebox.

You need about a 1.5 - 2" whole in the back of the glove box, I used a 1/2" drill bit and made a whole, then cut it with a pair of dikes (wire cutters). When you get the whole there, snake the wires through... Make sure you have enough clearance in the length of the wire so you can open and shut the glove box with no trouble.... if so, good. if not, sorry make them longer. Mine turned out to be 19" long from the end of the original to the harness.

Now, reinstall the glove box and reattach the harnesses to the HVAC.
turn on the car and put the a/c on, hope it works :)

when it works ok, then you have to mount the HVAC, you don't want it flying around right? I used 5 minute epoxy from pepboys, and it worked out GREAT.. Oh yeah, you might want to cut off the side clips that hold the screws when it was in the dash, not only does it look better, but it lets you flush mount it to the left side of the glove box.

I hope this helps someone, if not well at least my fingers got a good workout

shawn :)

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i wonder whether the HVAC cluster would fit inside the armrest storage bin? this way you wouldn;t have to reach all the way over to the glove box while you're driving. actually it would be pretty cool to have the controls facing up inside the armrest.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
southpaw it will fit, but that is being used by some other things in my car. as long you cut the tabs on the end.

shawn :)

oh and no I don't think they will fit in the sunglas holder, they are too wide or thick

·
Registered
99 Posts
Southpaw, I just relocated mine to the upper portion of the center armrest. It was pretty easy, you just need a hole saw, file, drill bits, epoxy ... etc. You've done this sorta stuff before, I don't need to explain this to you.

·
Registered
99 Posts
nah, not yet, stupid digital camera decided to crap out a few days ago. Fitment is a bit tight in the upper area, I had to cut the braces behind the actual HVAC, and placed it in like this

Location --AC
Fan-------internal/external air
Temp-----defroster

(the --- are in for spacing)

Right now I just have a big old gap in the area below my stereo and the cubby hole, just waiting for my lcd module.

Oh, I have an 04, and the button sizes for the A/C module is smaller than that of the pre 04s (goin by SED's pics), so fitment was a lot easier.

·
Registered
99 Posts
yeah, I liked it. Also, I wanted to mount an lcd in the car simlar to the LCD in the new lexuses, and then put in a rear camera in the bumper below the license plate holder.

REasoning for this is cause the lfitback feels like I can't see about 4 feet below my rear window, and I would feel better having i there.

Plus, it's gonna look pretty nice.

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah I think that it looks amazing, nothing like it around here..

I'm happy that you thought enough of it to try it out.

shawn

·
Registered
879 Posts
What I was thinking of doing was relocating the CD/DVD player to where the sunglasses holder is at. Leaving the AC controls in place and placing a monitor is the area where the stock CD player and storage bin where at. Any of you guys know how much this would cost at a shop? I can't do it cause 1. I don't have the skills, and 2. I don't have the tools.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Now that's cool! Yeah, in the armrest would be a bit better cause it's within reach, but that's a good job you did. :thumbsup:

By the way....pics of the DVD installed???

·
Resident Rompa Nalgas
129 Posts
Dude, that is so fetch!! haha. Nice work. Looks really good. Definitely good for dropping a few.(If you know what I mean!)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts