Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember briefly seeing this on the Old EXD, but I don't think it went very far. What would be involved in making a remote trunk release i.e. opening the trunk with a remote? Anyone know a list of materials and an approximate cost? I'm sure this is going to require an aftermarket alarm system, but what other parts will be needed, since we don't have a remote trunk already?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Any aftermarket alarm should do, as long as it has extra channels. For mine i took the emergency handle out of my trunk lid and mounted a solonoid to the metal crossmember. You will need a relay for this to work too since the output of the extra channels on a alarm is like 200ma. You will need to run two wires to the trunk, i used 16awg speaker wire since it is two conductor and it was laying around. I got a viper solonoid 522T. You can get it for $25 plus shipping from etronics.com

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Excellent. Exactly the information I was looking for. If only all questions were answered this easily...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
if you want you can even do this with the stock keyless system without upgrading to an aftermarket alarm. you just need to buy a pulse-timer relay (PAC model TR7) and interface it with the stock ETACS. you can program it to activate the trunk release solenoid relay described by doothedew by pressing the unlock button twice within a couple of seconds. you can add tons of accessories to the stock keyless system.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
southpawboston said:
if you want you can even do this with the stock keyless system without upgrading to an aftermarket alarm. you just need to buy a pulse-timer relay (PAC model TR7) and interface it with the stock ETACS. you can program it to activate the trunk release solenoid relay described by doothedew by pressing the unlock button twice within a couple of seconds. you can add tons of accessories to the stock keyless system.
No F'n Way! That would be completely AWESOME. I don't need an alarm, i just thought i would need one in order to put these extra things on. Where can I find a pulse-timer relay (PAC model TR7).

So let me get all this straight. I get the solenoid and hook it up with a relay (power from battery, grounded, 'activation wire' to new etacs module.) Then I put in this PAC on the ETACS, and I will be able to open the trunk by pressing unlock twice? This is too cool. You're the man southpaw.

EDIT
Found it, this thing is awesome!
http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/TR7_UNIVERSAL_LATCHING_TIMER_PULSER_RELAY_MODULE_BY_PAC_p_188.html

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
yep. the TR7 timer needs to be "programmed" to do what you want (number of pulses to activate, etc), but it's all in the instructions that come with it. if you end up going forward with all this just PM me and i'll help you set it up and hook it up to the right ETACS wires.

·
Poster God
531 Posts
now i am intrested for this also so southpaw we going to need your expertise.
so we need module, and trunk solenoid, and a diagram from u on how to install it

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well Southpaw, we've got a project. I won't be buying the parts for about a week though (whole new bedroom furniture set, spoiler, and a bunch of new tools are on my credit card, need to wait for that bill to clear before I spend more). Prob. order this stuff the end of next week, that'll be a great project - can't wait.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I've asked people who put alarms in before about this and they said since it didn't come with that option it couldn't be done. Were they just blowing smoke up my ass? We are talking about popping the truck open with the stock remote right? What is overall cost to do this and how hard is it?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, that's what we're talking about, popping the trunk with the remote by holding down the button longer, or pressing it twice, three times, etc. I haven't done this yet, but am going to try it. So far the cost looks like it will be about $50, plus shipping, so maybe at tops $75 - (a little extra for wires, connectors, relays, etc). We will need to

1. Install a solenoid in the trunk to pull the trunk release cable.
2. Install a Pulse-Timer Relay on the ETACS system (must have factory keyless).
3. Connect the two and program the Pulse-Timer Relay.

That's what I know, Southpaw is the expert, I'm just a guinuie-pig (sp).

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And now I own it! $32.94/shipped. 1/2 of the pieces of the puzzle are now in the mail.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
okay, just let me know when you get everything and i'll guide you through the ETACS and relay module hookup. you can find standard automotive relays for $5 at parts stores or radio shack, or wherever you buy the solenoid. i'll work on a diagram showing exactly how everything will go together.

rdubois-- i used to think that expanding the stock keyless system was hopeless until i learned about the pulse timer relay (thanks to santa fe forum moderator twospirits). this little module is incredible. it can be programmed to recognize a number of pulses and then create an independent pulse. the module will be hooked up to the alarm lights flash output and set to recognize four pulses. this way when you hit the unlock button twice you will get four light flashes and then the module will send a pulse to the trunk release solenoid. similarly, if you were to hit the lock button four times quickly you would generate the same effect.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
It can be done! I remember this convo on the old XD too. I think the only thing you might encounter is it popping up with enough force as to not close back on itself. (Mainly for the hatch.) Remember when Jay was selling spoilers for the cars, he was selling a package of the spoiler and additional hatch trunk cylinders (prolly not the right term but I think you guys know what I'm getting at) because the spoiler would be added weight on the trunk and it wouldn't pop open properly?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Excellen point Xtra, I have an idea already, if this will be a problem. I was thinking of puttin on a Gas-strut, so I just pop the trunk and it would open fully. I had those on my Camaro (natually, they all did), but I liked being able to push the button and have the trunk (hatch) raise all the way up to it's fulles level. That way if your hands are full, you don't even need to mess with the thing. I haven't examined the truk, but it this is needed I will probably affix it to the arm that attaches to the trunk. (sorry that location doesn't exist for you hatch owners).

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
that's correct xtrawild. but if a person who wants to do this mod doesn't already have a problem popping their trunk lid using the driver's side remote release, then there will be no problem using the solenoid.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Hey southpaw, once this solenoid is in place, will I still be able to use the driver's side release, or will I only be able to operate the cable with the solenoid?

P.S. Off to order the solenoid, I have no patients for waiting for things - so mu CC bill will just be a little bigger.

EDIT - everything's ordered. Now I just have to wait for stuff to come in - that's always the hardest part. The Solenoid was 32.98/shipped for a total cost of 65.92/shipped. I have some relays/wires/connectors/solder already, so this will be the total cost of this project.

·
Registered
268 Posts
wow thanks great! two questions can you add a window mod auto up or down and is there much of a difference between 04 alarms and 03 alarms other than the key pad ?

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jjos1 said:
wow thanks great! two questions can you add a window mod auto up or down and is there much of a difference between 04 alarms and 03 alarms other than the key pad ?
I think the window up/down is just a limit-switched relay that could prob. be hooked up to this type of system. Southpaw would be able to answer you for sure, but I think there's hope.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts