Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Member #23 in the weeds.
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I want to add an aftermarket alarm, what should I do with the keyless entry the car is already equipped with? If I still have the keyless entry connected, will this interfere with the aftermarket alarm? I refuse to spend a small fortune on installing an alarm so I'll be doing it myself.

It's the Crime Guard 745i4 with all the goodies. From what I've read, when the system is armed and the microwave sensor picks up that someone reaches through your open window the alarm will sound and the windows will roll up. What else will they come up with. :rolleyes:

Info please. :redface:

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
will it chop their arms off as well? ;)

i don't know the specs on this unit but almost all modern alarm units will interface with the factory keyless and operate them through the alarm's own remote.

just follow my DIY for splicing into the ETACS (the stock alarm). ALL the car's wires that you will have to tap into are described there in complete detail (hood switch, door switches, starter kill, keyless, lights flash, siren, blah blah).... any aftermarket alarm will also come with an LED. you can mount it here if you don't have TCS and a hatch:

EDIT: i just looked this unit up and yes, it will work with the factory keyless. you just won't ever use the stock remote, you'll only use the one for the alarm. and if you follow my DIY for tapping into the ETACS, when you sell your car you can just remove the alarm and everything will be back to stock.

·
Registered
91 Posts
On this note Southpaw or anyone,
How good is the factory alarm compared to an aftermarket one? I don't plan on replacing mine, but just curious in case a great deal on something comes by. Thank You.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I plan on adding a shock sensor to my stock alarm. I am also going to wire up a warning feature to the alarm by adding a pulse timer on the warning circuit on the shock sensor which will be wired to the horn.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
joeypasta said:
On this note Southpaw or anyone,
How good is the factory alarm compared to an aftermarket one? I don't plan on replacing mine, but just curious in case a great deal on something comes by. Thank You.
i think the stock alarm is fine. it may not have all the bells and whistle of an aftermarket unit (like window rollup and a pre-alarm warning) but it does a good job doing what it does. all i did with my stock unit was add a shock sensor, and i like ccingthr's idea.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
SP,

A lot of people at one time did not like the factory alarm. They preferred to install an aftermarket one instead. Even now, there are those people who recommend aftermarket systems rather than upgrading the stock one.

I think the stock alarm can be equal to a high end system.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I think once added onto, the stock alarm system surpasses the aftermarket systems. A shock sensor added is an easy step and there are other items that can be added to the mx.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
mainly what you are getting with aftermarket systems is features. you may get extra channels to pop open your trunk, roll your windows up or down, and even have a 2-way pager. you may also get a "warning" mode like cc is going to add to the stock alarm. and you also get the ability to add on multiple extra sensors.

but as far as dedecting a break-in and preventing the car from being started, the stock one is just as good.

plus with electronic relays, you can also add extra convenience and/or dedection features to the stock alarm (e.g., hyunelan added a trunk pop feature, i added a shock sensor, LED, and pager, and CC is going to add a shock sensor with "warning" ability). the downside is that you are limited to how many add-ons you can add. plus as mentioned above, unless an aftermarket alarm is a reputable brand and is installed properly, there is a good chance that there will be wiring problems, poor connections, and general erratic bahavoir. that's where you never have to worry with the stock alarm.

on the other hand, aftermarket alarms have gotten much less expensive than they used to be (esp. if you install it yourself), and the feature lists keep getting longer.

it really comes down to a matter of preference.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
How did you add the led? Is it hooked up to the alarm?

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm bumping this thread to get a bit of info.

I have a 2003 Elantra GT Sedan with the keyless entry. The salesman at Carmax who sold me the car accidentally set off a panic alarm on the car (I don't remember how) so I guess this means my car has a factory alarm on it, right??

What are the specific functions of the factory alarm?... In other words, what happens if someone tries to break in my car??? What are the preventive features of the factory alarm?

I have an entire after-market alarm system (Viper, I believe) with a shock sensor that I had removed from one of my previous vehicles. Would it be worth it to add just the shock sensor from this system on my Hyundai? Installing the whole system seems like a costly venture.

Also, could I just add an LED light so it will flash on and off when the car is not running and the doors are locked, to warn would-be thieves that the car has an alarm? Would it be easy to connect to the present alarm system?

What would be a fair price to intall the shock sensor and LED warning light?

I used to do a lot of this type of stuff on my own 25 years ago (alarm and stereo installation, etc.) but cars are so advanced now I'm very leery of taking a chance and screwing something up.

You guys seem to know what's best on the XD, so help an old-timer out. :)

Oh BTW, keep in mind that I'd prefer to stick with my present remote.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
buck,

your GT does have an alarm integrated with the keyless. it is basic, but it does well the things it does. first off, it arms whenever you use the remote to lock the doors and disarms whenever you unlock with the remote. it will sound whenever a door, trunk, or hood are opened while it's armed. and it has a starter kill relay that prevents the starter from working when it is tripped. that's about it, but the most important things are covered, right?

it is very easy to add a shock sensor to the hood switch circuit. you just need to buy a single-mode sensor (3 wire), and hook it up to const. power, ground, and the hood pin switch wire as the sensor wire. PM me for the DIY, i have one in microsoft word format.

also, adding a dummy flashing LED is very easy. i have one on my car. i also have a DIY for that, again in MS word format. send me a PM and i'll send both docs to you...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hey, one last question...

I bought a Varad LED light that includes a little black rubber-coated thing in the middle. (approximately one square inch and a half inch deep) The wires go from red and black on one side of it, to red/black/yellow in the other side of this little black rubber-coated thing.

Is that the relay that's mentioned in your DIY?... or do I still need to go out and buy one?

2 full days and no response.

Okay, I guess nonbody knows the answer to my question.

Oh, well.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
i only saw this post this morning... ???

there's no instructions with it? if you have three wires (red/yallow/black) with bare ends (meaning, to hook up) then my guess is that you don't need the relay. the third wire might be the wire that senses when the ignition is switched on and switches the LED off. that's what my relay setup does. my guess is that black is ground, red is constant 12V, and yellow is switched 12V (accessory). try that. if that doesn't work, swap yellow and red.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I added the shock sensor to my factory alarm and put the horn chirp on as a warning. I also plan on adding a high beam wigwag to the siren as well.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
It works well. A little sensitive though. It blasts the horn once then resets. I do recommend a relay for the power to the sensor if people plan on doing this because if the sensor has constant power, it will trip the horn as you are driving down the road; which I did when I originally installed the sensor.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts