Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would like to say that I am glad to have found this website.

I am creating this thread, because I am having problem with my DIY project on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra.

Recently, my passenger side low beam light bulb burned out. So, I tried to replace it myself which I never did myself and had mechanics do it for me before. What I found was very upsetting to say the least. Apparently, whoever replaced my bulb before forgot to screw the dust cap or cover and the blub retainer clip was not holding the blub in place even though I did find the clip in place. The mechanics not knowing how to put the clip back on, they hot glued my low beam light bulb to the headlight assembly and didn't tell me about that. I really can't go back and complain to them since it has been more than 2 years.

Anyways, now that I have a new bulb and a blub retainer clip in my hand. I can't seem to figure out how the heck they are set in. I am confused to the max. Either this blub retainer clip doesn't belong in my headlight assembly or they screwed up the clip by bending it. I could remove my driver side headlight assembly all together to see how they are set in place, but it will be a lot of work to do. Either way I am lost and I can't seem to put them into my headlight assembly. I also looked around for parts at AutoZone and CarQuest and they told me that they don't sell these items (dust cap and blub retainer clip)separately. However, they were ready to sell me the whole headlight assembly. Please help. How do you set the retainer blub clip with the low beam light bulb for 2006 Hyundai Elantra?

Here is the image of the retainer clip I found in my headlight case for my passenger side low beam light.

Vision care Bumper Cable Eyewear Automotive exterior Grey Automotive exterior Motor vehicle Font Fixture Vision care Eyewear Automotive exterior Rectangle Cable

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
If you can give me a couple of weeks, when i get home i was going to change out my bulbs and can try to get a pic of how the clip fits in there. Or if your other headlight is okay, take it out and use it as a mirror image reference. (Take a pic, import it into a drawing program and flip it so that it's the mirror image and then you have a direct reference.)

You'll want to remove the lamp assembly from the car if you haven't already done so. It's fairly easy. That really bendy end of the clip is held in place in the assembly and flips up and down to let you access the bulb. It's at the top, and shouldn't be detatched from the assembly. The long arm essentially lets you unhook the bottom of the clip from a little retaining slot. You press on the arm to get that u-bend out of the retain and the clip swings up and out of the way. Take old bulb out, new bulb in and then swing the clip down and you press the lever arm to get the bend back into the retaining slot.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
Might be a little bit of common sense or just wanting to be lazy. But seeing that its not hard to took off the headlights, why not take off the other headlight and see how the spring fits? I remember that the middle part is used to hold the bulb down, and one end should be screwed on to one side of the light, and the other size of the bracket should be pushed down with pressure to hold the light in and fits under a little hook

and youtube is always youre friend

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
If you can give me a couple of weeks, when i get home i was going to change out my bulbs and can try to get a pic of how the clip fits in there. Or if your other headlight is okay, take it out and use it as a mirror image reference. (Take a pic, import it into a drawing program and flip it so that it's the mirror image and then you have a direct reference.)

You'll want to remove the lamp assembly from the car if you haven't already done so. It's fairly easy. That really bendy end of the clip is held in place in the assembly and flips up and down to let you access the bulb. It's at the top, and shouldn't be detatched from the assembly. The long arm essentially lets you unhook the bottom of the clip from a little retaining slot. You press on the arm to get that u-bend out of the retain and the clip swings up and out of the way. Take old bulb out, new bulb in and then swing the clip down and you press the lever arm to get the bend back into the retaining slot.
Yes, just as you described how to put the clip in is how I figured it should go in. However, my clip latch in my headlight assembly is on the top not in the bottom. When I found the clip, it wasn't even hinged on anything. It was just sitting there not doing its job. After all the driving I did, it never fell out without its dust cap. True, I think I will have to mess around with my other headlight to get an idea.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i just put super high beams in my elantra, one of my headlights is kattywhompus. kinda kills my right side night vision. it is so much better now. i really suggest you put more thought into your night vision

1 - 6 of 6 Posts