Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

Quote from another forum:

Met a chap who mentioned that I should try some performance chips as they increase power etc and usually improve the mileage as well. So I started checking out things on the Internet, found one for a 2003 Chevy Venture which stated a guaranteed increase of 7 mpg and thought I would try one as it was only $10 or so.... The instructions said to pull the connector off the IAT sensor, then bend the leads to fit into the female connector and wrap it with tape so it won't fall out. In other words the IAT sensor is not connected at all! ScanGauge shows 3 as temp for IAT.

I went for my usual test run of 39 to 40 miles without EFIE
or HHO and I got a 31.5 % increase in mileage!
Question: Is there something similar I can put on my '02 Elantra which would be equivalent to this?

$10 for any amount of MPG increase is worth it IMHO. I've googled but really not sure what to google at this point.

·
Rebuilding the XD
6,253 Posts
yes, i have these chips in my possesion paypal me $300 and I will mail you 5, for $600 I have a bridge for sale also

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
I'll take that as a no-vote from you :rolleyes:
No, he's saying that he has them, but his are WAY better, paypal me another 100 and I'll tell you why! :D

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Have you ever watched any type of racing or know anything about performance upgrading? Don't you think that if you could build a 10 second car using a bunch of $10 chips and mods, that there would be a lot more people racing and/or getting killed? Moral: real power isn't cheap. Don't buy into these chips . Also, more power doesn't usually equate to more gas mileage. If you do some more research, you'll find that mods like these either usually do nothing for the performance of your engine, or they make it worse.

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
Search the site for chips, you'll find a lot of info.

Even with a full $400 piggyback ECU (engine control units), you'll still only gain a few HP, even if you've already got a CAI (cold air intake), Catback (exhaust) and other physical normally aspirated modifications. And, the piggyback ECU's have to be tuned specifically to your engine because every engine runs a little bit different.

·
Here to irritate Munky
2,584 Posts
do the throttle body coolant bypass and don't run gas with ethanol in it. When I did that my average mpg went from 30 to 33. I suspect the ethanol was the biggest difference though. Most of those "chips" are just a 50 cent radio shack resistor you plug in to one of the sensors.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
yes, i have these chips in my possesion paypal me $300 and I will mail you 5, for $600 I have a bridge for sale also
Don't listen to him. I'll hook you up with that same bridge for $350.

Seriously.. .think about it for JUUUUUST a moment. The Fed Gov't is cracking down on fuel economy requirements, ones that are at this point hard top achieve. They only need about 1-2mpg per vehicle to achieve these new requirements. So ifthey can use this same radio shack resistor (which they could buy in mega bulk for about 2 cents each) to raise their mileage 5mpg, wouldn't they?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to the more serious replies. (not that I mind the humor either :p).

I don't really require any more power. I'm definitely not a race type either. Family-man-with-a-daughter-starting-school-type.

I'm really after better MPG. I did manage to get a min 3 MPG max 5 MPG increase from a Water4Gas unit. Please lets not get into a long discussion about HOD systems but suffice to say it did work a little, but in order to get more MPG increases there was a bunch of modification to the electrical system. Now, I don't mind DIY projects, but IMHO Hydrogen on Demand (in its current state) requires too much tinkering, which I don't have time for.

I had to tear out my HOD system as the garage wouldn't (wasn't willing) to work on it with this thing under the hood, and I was actually happy to take it out in order to finish fully testing it. eg. with and without.

All of that aside, if a simple electrical component can lean out the fuel mixture and increase MPG without all of the bottles and hoses and such, why not?

Of course, this was one guys' word about something I haven't heard about before, hence, my question to those of you who know Elantras and what is and isn't available.

I managed to get a link to this chip, (ebay only store, LOL)
http://stores.ebay.com/AMSTech-Performance-Chips

Personally, I'd like to know the long term effects of these chips too.

·
Here to irritate Munky
2,584 Posts
You'll save the most gas by changing your driving habbits. But some other stuff you can do is: inflate the tires close to the "max" level, keep your speed under 70, remove all excess crap out of the car, keep it well tuned/maintained, coast and use cruise control whenever possible, don't "warm up" the car; just start it and go, use low roll resistance tires, etc etc. I've also heard amsoil can help improve MPG but I've never tried it.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Driving habits with increased volumetric efficiency will help, but the sad fact of the matter is the terrible PCM/ECM/ECU/call it what you want tuning that comes out of Korea is going to hold you back. Adding a GOOD intake like a CAI with a high flow filter to reduce intake restrictions, adding a good catback with better flow, but not too large to kill low end torque, lighter wheels, skinnier and taller tires with a HIGH treadwear rating to reduce rolling resistance and you'll be maxed out.

With the CAI, synthetic oil, muffler and a light, consistent driving style on vacation to NC from Indiana last summer we averaged 36mpg, and had multiple tanks in the 37/38mpg range. By not using your AC, running with the windows up and sweating it out we might have been able to squeeze out 40mpg.

As for the specific sensor in question here. .. the IAT is made into the MAP sensor and requires hacking into the wiring to make it work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ahh, the MAP. Yes, actually that was the next step in my Water4Gas efforts. I have to say I'm a little hesitant to start screwing around the the inner electronics of my car without a really good understanding of what the effects might be.

Apparently getting a ScanGuage set to display MPG in real time is a really good way to train oneself on good driving habits...

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
Actually, not really. Planning ahead, coasting, allowing yourself adequate following distances, not racing up to a stopsign/light, easy acceleration and keeping the Elantra below 3300rpm when cruising give the most benefit. Watching a gauge will likely lead to more drastic changes that offer temporary benefits but hurt overall mileage.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Slight change in topic: What about 02 sensors? Are any after-market sensor preferred or only oem? I think it's time for replacements.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
why do you think it's time for replacements? Are you over 100k? Do you have a CEL? Is the car rediculously rich, blackening the bumper?

If you MUST replace the O2 sensors, I would personally go with OEM's. Most aftermarkets are made to fit multiple vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
4,858 Posts
I respectfully agree with Mr Bob, but would like to clarify some points.

Improving mileage passively (eg: chips, bolt-on mods, etc.) is not IMPOSSIBLE, yet for the price and time involved are all but useless. Performance chips are garbage, talk to anyone who's been enough of a sucker to buy one. That Water4Gas and other "fuel saver mods" are largely placebos... you're already driving economically, so a range of 3-5 MPG is not unbelievable when going from tank to tank.

Like Bob (and others) have said, drive smoothly and carefully, without endangering or otherwise inconveniencing other drivers. Even that extra 2 feet between cars is a godsend in terms of improving mileage. Being light on the pedals (BOTH of them) helps. My Elantra hits a beautiful engine note at about 60Km/h (about 35 MP/H) that almost sounds like Barry White telling me "It's okay Qyn, I'm just sipping from the tank right now.... you're doing good, baby."

All joking aside, weight is a major factor in fuel savings. Get rid of all the crap in your trunk/backseat and you'll see improvements (providing there was stuff there to begin with).

Also, please, for the love of God, DON'T HYPERMILE!!!!!!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
why do you think it's time for replacements? Are you over 100k? Do you have a CEL? Is the car rediculously rich, blackening the bumper?

If you MUST replace the O2 sensors, I would personally go with OEM's. Most aftermarkets are made to fit multiple vehicles.

Almost at 100K, but actually, I just figured a used car, 6 years old, probably couldn't hurt to replace them.

Mind you, I had an alternator replaced last month, at a garage other than the dealer as the garage quoted me $120 for a new alternator, the dealer wanted $300. I almost choked... There is NO WAY I'm paying 3 times the price just for OEM...

Sometimes I think the Hyundai dealers on this Island are milking us for whatever they can get..

I respectfully agree with Mr Bob, but would like to clarify some points.

Improving mileage passively (eg: chips, bolt-on mods, etc.) is not IMPOSSIBLE, yet for the price and time involved are all but useless. Performance chips are garbage, talk to anyone who's been enough of a sucker to buy one. That Water4Gas and other "fuel saver mods" are largely placebos... you're already driving economically, so a range of 3-5 MPG is not unbelievable when going from tank to tank.

Like Bob (and others) have said, drive smoothly and carefully, without endangering or otherwise inconveniencing other drivers. Even that extra 2 feet between cars is a godsend in terms of improving mileage. Being light on the pedals (BOTH of them) helps. My Elantra hits a beautiful engine note at about 60Km/h (about 35 MP/H) that almost sounds like Barry White telling me "It's okay Qyn, I'm just sipping from the tank right now.... you're doing good, baby."

All joking aside, weight is a major factor in fuel savings. Get rid of all the crap in your trunk/backseat and you'll see improvements (providing there was stuff there to begin with).

Also, please, for the love of God, DON'T HYPERMILE!!!!!!!
LOL, you just described hypermiling to a T.... :D outside of the "considered dangerous techniques .." on Wikipedia, and then say "Don't Hypermile..."?

You must be referring to the
recommended against techniques which are considered to be dangerous and are criticized by law enforcement
side of it.

·
Banned
11,228 Posts
the tailgating/drafting at unsafe distances.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts