Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I would like to say that I am glad to have found this website.

I am creating this thread, because I am having problem with my DIY project on my 2006 Hyundai Elantra.

Recently, my passenger side low beam light bulb burned out. So, I tried to replace it myself which I never did myself and had mechanics do it for me before. What I found was very upsetting to say the least. Apparently, whoever replaced my bulb before forgot to screw the dust cap or cover and the blub retainer clip was not holding the blub in place even though I did find the clip in place. The mechanics not knowing how to put the clip back on, they hot glued my low beam light bulb to the headlight assembly and didn't tell me about that. I really can't go back and complain to them since it has been more than 2 years.

Anyways, now that I have a new bulb and a blub retainer clip in my hand. I can't seem to figure out how the heck they are set in. I am confused to the max. Either this blub retainer clip doesn't belong in my headlight assembly or they screwed up the clip by bending it. I could remove my driver side headlight assembly all together to see how they are set in place, but it will be a lot of work to do. Either way I am lost and I can't seem to put them into my headlight assembly. I also looked around for parts at AutoZone and CarQuest and they told me that they don't sell these items (dust cap and blub retainer clip)separately. However, they were ready to sell me the whole headlight assembly. Please help. How do you set the retainer blub clip with the low beam light bulb for 2006 Hyundai Elantra?

Here is the image of the retainer clip I found in my headlight case for my passenger side low beam light.

·
Registered
22 Posts
For driver side, it's better to remove the head light assembly first. I think there are two or three screws holding the assembly in place. With the battery blocking most of the space, it's nearly impossible to force the clip to go in place, without removing the assembly.

·
Registered
988 Posts
You don't need to remove the headlight assembly to replace the bulb. It's too much work. Just remove the dust cover and retainer clip, loosen two screws, disconnect the wire connecter, and replace the bulb. Try not to touch the halogen bulb with your fingers, or it will shorten the life. If you touched, clean with alcohol swab.

·
Registered
173 Posts
You don't need to remove the headlight assembly to replace the bulb. It's too much work. Just remove the dust cover and retainer clip, loosen two screws, disconnect the wire connecter, and replace the bulb. Try not to touch the halogen bulb with your fingers, or it will shorten the life. If you touched, clean with alcohol swab.
Really? Your telling me you cant remove 3 10mm bolts. It takes what an extra min to do. Take out the housing and do it right.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Replaced passenger side low beam bulb today... I pulled the assembly. With the assembly off, I could see that the clip was making contact withe bulb in only one place, not two, causing the bulb to wiggle freely. I bent the wire clip a little so it would hold the bulb better. I put some anti-seize on the rusted screws before tightening them. It was worth 5 extra minute to grab the socket, extension, ratchet to remove the headlight assembly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Replaced passenger side low beam bulb today... I pulled the assembly. With the assembly off, I could see that the clip was making contact withe bulb in only one place, not two, causing the bulb to wiggle freely. I bent the wire clip a little so it would hold the bulb better. I put some anti-seize on the rusted screws before tightening them. It was worth 5 extra minute to grab the socket, extension, ratchet to remove the headlight assembly.
Thank you for making my point.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts