Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer wants to charge $890 dollars to replace the ECU in my 2000 Elantra. The said that this would be a $800 refurbished ECU.

The local used parts place (nissenbaums.com) has these ECUs used for $60.
Is it as easy as unplugging the old one then plugging in the new (used) one?

I know there is a risk in buying used computers, but I could buy 10 used ones and try each one until it works, and still save money.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
I would assume it is just like any other module in the car - unplug, plug, done. I would wait for someone else to chime in though, as I've never had to replace one.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
It's not that hard to replace, it's time consuming though, the ECU is held up by a bracket and it's un-bolting that bracket that is long and painfull.

But just for trying ECU it's a 5 minute job, just un-plug the ECU, turn the connector down and plug the replacement ECU (you can't drive the car like that though as the ECU will rest just above the brake and clutch pedal!).

So I say go ahead, it's easy!

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
Only issue is, the VIN number on the used ECU will be different and the inspection will fail the car if you do have inspections.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
Only issue is, the VIN number on the used ECU will be different and the inspection will fail the car if you do have inspections.
and what happens when the ECU takes a dump? you have to trash the car???

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
and what happens when the ECU takes a dump? you have to trash the car???
You have to get a rebuilt ECU. The reman ECU's don't have a previous VIN code burnt into memory. That is empty until the dealers burn the VIN into memory; which can only be done one time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I have a 2000 elantra. I have changed out the ECM. Twice. (not that it failed, I was experimenting)

I have SERIOUS doubts that anybody at the inspection station is going to check the serial number on your computer, if there even is one in the RD platform. If they do, say you had a mechanic change it out (no need to mention you were the mechanic) but I would be frankly astounded if it was even an issue.

If you have an automatic transmission, alarm, and stereo, AND you don't remove the drivers seat, and take as long as I did the first time, it will take an hour and a half, start to finish. A decent socket set will be the only tools required.

·
Old women love J2's
290 Posts
I have a 2000 Elantra and have a 1.8 L Ecu instead of my 2.0. I never fail inspection or emmisions.

You can even leave yours bolted in and plug the new one in and zip tie it under the dash.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I have a 2000 elantra. I have changed out the ECM. Twice. (not that it failed, I was experimenting)

I have SERIOUS doubts that anybody at the inspection station is going to check the serial number on your computer, if there even is one in the RD platform. If they do, say you had a mechanic change it out (no need to mention you were the mechanic) but I would be frankly astounded if it was even an issue.

If you have an automatic transmission, alarm, and stereo, AND you don't remove the drivers seat, and take as long as I did the first time, it will take an hour and a half, start to finish. A decent socket set will be the only tools required.
I know on the newer cars, the VIN number does come up on the screen when the OBDII scanner is plugged in. Every time I plug my GDS into a Hyundai, the VIN will pop up on the screen that identifies the car.

In PA, where you are at, the inspection shop is supposed to check that data as well as other items. Only problem is, these shops, which are independent shops tend to ignore some items. Here in WA, those areas that require inspections (my area included), the inspection stations are state run and regulated, and the VIN number is crossmatched with the one on file with DOL.

·
Registered
667 Posts
... and what happens if your car has a carburetor instead of a computer?

does anyone know for certain if the pre-XD cars have the VIN in the computer?

and what's the penalty if your computer is saying the wrong thing? Less than $900? If so you STILL come out ahead.

·
Here to irritate Munky
2,584 Posts

and what's the penalty if your computer is saying the wrong thing? Less than $900? If so you STILL come out ahead.
If you cannot pass smog, you cannot register your car.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts

If the computer shows a different VIN, it is an automatic fail because it is considered a rebuild/salvage vehicle even though no actual rebuild except for the ECU was replaced. All OBDII cars should have the VIN in memory.

That VIN number is becoming very critical now. The DOL takes that VIN quite seriously.

If you cannot pass smog, you cannot register your car.
Also, if the computer is non-functional because you unhooked it, it will also fail.

·
KDM to JDM.
6,437 Posts
2000 elantras didnt have VIN's burnt into them.

not even my 2005 has a burnt VIN.

and its not even "burnt", its a program. you can get a vin recoded to it

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
2000 elantras didnt have VIN's burnt into them.

not even my 2005 has a burnt VIN.

and its not even "burnt", its a program. you can get a vin recoded to it
Cypher did post that the 2005 and newer cars does have the vin burnt into the ECU which only can be done one time.

I got the offical answer for this today.

05+ have the vins burnt into it and can only be done once. before that they didn't have the vins burnt into it. This was the offical answer by a hyundai tech I VERY much trust.

·
Registered
667 Posts
aaaaaaand that nails it. Replace away RD and J2 owners, your computer is not going to tattle on you.

What a crock. Reminds me of the lawsuits to force automakers to release software to allow independent mechanics to work on the newer cars' computers.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
aaaaaaand that nails it. Replace away RD and J2 owners, your computer is not going to tattle on you.

What a crock. Reminds me of the lawsuits to force automakers to release software to allow independent mechanics to work on the newer cars' computers.
On a lot of cars, as early as 1999, the VIN is burnt into the ECU. I recently had to have a dealer put a reman ECU into a 2000 Chrysler because of the VIN coding.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My old truck had a carburetor on top of a 5.9L engine. It had a computer once, when I moved back to Texas, but that was only for a couple of days and it was part of 2,000lbs of cargo.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
I have an 05 and i swapped ECU's and I didn't throw a VIN mismatch code. neither will I after I get it reflashed for 93octane.
Does NJ have state inspections?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts