Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
That's the worst review I've ever seen for the Elantra. What a bunch of tools. You can see that some people just can't get passed the fact that it's a Hyundai.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Ya know I used to think like that about Hyundai until I test drove one. They really have come a long way since 85. My aunt had an 86 Excel I think it was. What a piece of shit. Since I bought my 04 I have gained lots of respect for Hyundai. I can't wait until they completely kick the shit out of Honda. My friend liked my Hyundai so much that when he got back from the war in Iraq he went and bouhgt an 04 Sonata. Not bad cars at all.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
they are already kicking the shit out of honda. Hyundai is the #1 selling import in the eastern region. I guess for every good report you can find a bad 1 if you look hard enough. This guy must have got smoked by an XD on his way to the test drive so he flipped out!

·
Registered
429 Posts
i was reading that thinking what the hell XD was he driving? the last car made on a friday? i love my XD and i will consider getting another one later on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The Elantra is outgunned in this group of cars. The article is a little harsh but they are correct on several points.

Hyundai was just barely able to compete in that group when the GT came out in 2001. With the new models from all those competitors now avaliable they should really have not even considered the aging Elantra in the same test. The Ford, Mazda, and Toyota have far superior drivetrains and what the Honda lacks in grunt it makes up for in refinement. The suspension on the Elantra is laughable when compared with the other cars in that group as well.

Yes I can understand being pissed about some of the general Hyundai comments but don't for a second think the Elantra GT is in the same league as the other cars in that comparison.

·
Hyundai Dealer
811 Posts
Look who popped up with an opinion....long time no see! I can agree with what you say to a little extent J but not alot

·
s/c xd gt
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with jay on a few points also and am not saying that they shafted the GT unreasonably.... my point of view was that the test/ comparo consisted of cars spread across so wide a spectrum of the class that it was unclear what the basis of the test was... you had a 2door, 2 4 doors, wagon and a hatchback....being judged on "what a driving enthusiast might spring for"....
people buying an Elantra GT (and from what i see on LI there are a WHOLE TON of us... so there )are buying on basis of value, features, ride quality (from a regular Everyday driver standpoint), practicality.... while buyers of the 3 most likely want the latest thing down the grapevine and have the extra dough to throw away for a car thats sportier.....
the reason I got the GT and not the Pro5 or any other sporty sedan/hatch in the segment when I did was that I wanted a decent car for the price, good practicality and decent power, If I wanted performance I would've sprung for a WRX wagon which can be had for the price of a mazda3 hatch (on an side note DAMN that Legacy is nice now).

I agree with Jay that the GT is not much of a performance package and should be renamed to an LX package or something until Hyundai decides to add some umph to the GT badge....

the GT in the comparo imo wasnt in the best position since I feel that red is not the most appealing color for the car ...but comparing it to the Aztec is blowing it out of proportion....another thing is (imo again) change the wheel package to somthing similar to the tiburon GT wheel package the current rims make the car look frumpy IMO IMO

·
Registered
231 Posts
Car & Driver Article: Double Dip Dreamboats

After reading that article you'll realize that even though the Elantra was on 2nd place, the score between protege, elantra, and corolla was pretty damn close.

How much has elantra changed since then? Let's see... GT suspension, VVT engine without major power increase, and a facelift.

Corolla: sport package that actually increases HP, larger wheels, stiffer suspension.

Mazda: NEW CAR replacing the protege. still low price, more power, attractive exterior/interior, features like DVD navigation, unbeatable handling.

If the reviewer was smart enough, he would have realized this was not a fair comparo.

·
Registered
851 Posts
I realized along time ago that most of those automobile mags are full of stuck up, old, complaining men, who are upset over lack of refinement and luxury and who have grown soft and weak by riding around in too many over-priced cars that old, impotent men need for over-compensation purposes. I stopped reading all those mags altogether, Sport Compact Car is the only one I read now, at least they have a performance prospective on things. Now to just get past all my debt and build an Elantra worthy of an article in there
I bought the Elantra because I wanted an inexpensive well-built car that will respond well to modifications and I seriuosly don't care if it ends up with all the comfort of a race car. They are right about the suspension, brakes, and the car being too soft in most regards, but I plan on changing all those things anyway, I have one goal and one focus, make a Hyundai that will kick the shit of its competition in most every form of motorsports I enter.
Jay, you were a major promoter and supporter of Hyundai, I don't think I like your new opinions.

·
Broke @$$ Fool
2,648 Posts
watson80 said:
they are already kicking the shit out of honda. Hyundai is the #1 selling import in the eastern region. I guess for every good report you can find a bad 1 if you look hard enough. This guy must have got smoked by an XD on his way to the test drive so he flipped out!
I was on vacation in the Upstate NY area this past June and most of the cars in that area were Hyundais! It was just odd coming from Socal where most of the cars are Hondas and the dime a dozen Corolla S.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Steve said:
I realized along time ago that most of those automobile mags are full of stuck up, old, complaining men, who are upset over lack of refinement and luxury and who have grown soft and weak by riding around in too many over-priced cars that old, impotent men need for over-compensation purposes.
I knew there was a reason I quit subscribing to mags. :thumbsdow is what I think of that article.

·
Registered
499 Posts
When Elantra XD came out, it was pretty much on the top of the competition. Corolla had what, 130hp? Protege 130 too? Civic probably even less. Lancer 120? And noone could touch GT as far as options went. Could anyone offer leather? nope! Could anyone offer trip computer? nope! 4-wheel disc brakes with ABS and traction control? And at that price, XD was the winner IMHO.
Right now competitors improved and got stronger, whereas Elantra did not have many changes for 2004. I wish they bumped the horsepower to around 160 and stiffened the suspension a bit. Even if they increased the MSRP a little, I don't think it would hurt the sales much.

As for the test in Automobile Mag, it is really :lame:
Of course, those other cars performed better. Hello! They cost anywhere between 20-50% more than Elantra so they are supposed to perform better. Now it would be really funny it was the other way around.

·
19 second madman
2,506 Posts
automobile mag is typically lame in general. I've always thought of them as the lowliest of the car magazines, as they never get to really put thre cars through performance tests.

·
no longer a newbie :)
600 Posts
They even recommend cars that have very poor write-ups! Ha...they are idiots....the elantra is said by virtually every other magazine to be a solid, entry level automobile with decent styling and handling...lacking only in on-tap power!

I bet every one of those reviewer guys has a riced out maxima (when they want to go cruisin) and a souped civic (for racing)!!! LOL I agree when someone said they are TOOLS!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had to email them with my opinion

[email protected]

Hyundai Elantra GT
I own an Elantra GT sedan and I had a 2000 Honda Civic before it and, Are you wrong who ever wrote that should look for another job. I will never buy your liying Magazine again or anyone I know, My elantra Eats civics and corollas any day of the week unless is an SI. At least I never bought anything you guys would recomend, It would have been the wrong choice, In other words you guys suck and lie. Comparing a $12000 Car with a More expensive one Like the Civic and Corolla is like comparing this last 2 with A mitsubishi EVO or a WRX.

·
Premium Member
1,275 Posts
Edmunds.com bought their Elantra GLS the same month I bought mine, and did a year long road test on the car... I kept tabs as it went along, and the whole thing was just short of glowing. They talked about how the guys who preferred BMWs didn't want to let go of the car. I think that when I bought the car in 2001, it was a better value for the money than any of the other cars in the price range, better than cars several thousand dollars up in price range. It was a no-brainer.

Certainly there are faster cars that do certain things more tightly that you can get if you shell out another five grand or so, but do they have heated rear view mirrors and a flip down sunglass holder? And super-size capable cupholders that will also hold an orange juice box from Burger King for the morning commute? Actually, I don't know. I haven't looked at new cars in a while.

Anyhow, my buddy bought a 2001 Jetta a few weeks back after someone totalled his other car, and there's less legroom, less stuff overall. The interior looked really sharp, but as far as functionality goes, naaah, not so great. I've always kinda liked Jettas, so I felt a little jealousy when he drove up with it, but he was telling me that it's not as nice as my car. (Woo!)

Automobile magazine could use a few classes on journalism, methinks.

·
turbo envy
12,884 Posts
with stock tires and stock suspension...they are right...it was like a boat!! front back and side to side!! wtf....but after my 17's and teins....i will out handle most anything on the road!! :D and that was for only 2700 more. the engine would pull a little harder too if they did something with that intake!! all it does and snake around the engine bay....horrible :eek:

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I think automobile mag needs to let go of the typical Hyundai sterotype, and get a dissintersted third party to do their review. I think they will find out things that they didn't notice. Probably because they weren't looking for them. A little course in unbiased journalism would do them a world of good.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I didn't read threw all the post kind of in a hurry and just had to touch on this.

The link direct copy.
Hyundai engineers should spend a few weeks driving the competition so they might understand how far behind they are. Shifting through the gears in this car feels like stirring a straw through a convenience store slushie. Handling performance was comparable to Corollas and Civics of the 80's; while the ride was none too compliant, body control was poor, and the GT has a scary proclivity to pitch and bob in transitions. The steering also felt rather lifeless. We did come up with a neat trick to double the mushy brakes' performance; we dragged our feet out the door.

I agree 110% pushing the stock GT to the limits isn't for the faint of heart. In mid turn unless you hold the wheel straight it tends to get real bouncy and when dicing it up at least in the stock configuration is scary. The car doesn’t make the driver feel confident. I would take my rx7 around a 90 degree turn at 80mph before I would think of doing so in my Elantra. My rx7 handles like it's on rails. No body roll unless you pushing the car to its limits and it's no where near as bad as my Elantra. In fact of all the cars I have driven the only car I would have to say is worse to drive hard would be my friends 99cavy. I haven’t had a chance to ride in any Elantras with modded suspension But from what everyone says the tib sway bar helps a lot. It wouldn't kill Hyundai to do some real work to an elantra. Cut body roll by about 30% and better breaks would be a lot better. And A few extra horses wouldn't hurt either. I would like to see the car making 165at the flywheel.

I decided to make one last comment on this about the breaks of the car being one of the scariest things on the car. I don't like abs. I never have and never will. I learned to thresh hold break and feel safer with that then with abs. Now when I drive up to my moms work the speed limit is 65 so everyone does 70ish. But the yellow light time is next to nothing and a lot of red light cameras on the intersections. I have had my petal to the floor and haven’t been able to lock my wheels up. One night at the burger king I worked at i tired to lock them up but going up to about 40 then takings this little hill type thing and turned a little right to make the right side of the car get light and still wasn't able to get them locked but for a second. The breaks or at least the pads for are cars are piles of crap. I even had my dealership adjust the breaks and everything was within spec. If this was a safe guard they built in to keep people from panicking and locking the wheels up I say that’s a bad decision on there part. I like the breaks of my 17year old car and the handling characteristics of the car more then my Elantra.

But the gas mileage and cruise control are nice not to mention the working windshield wipers
:D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts