Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

ridiculous autombile mag comparo

4K views 22 replies 18 participants last post by  Kyrol 
I didn't read threw all the post kind of in a hurry and just had to touch on this.

The link direct copy.
Hyundai engineers should spend a few weeks driving the competition so they might understand how far behind they are. Shifting through the gears in this car feels like stirring a straw through a convenience store slushie. Handling performance was comparable to Corollas and Civics of the 80's; while the ride was none too compliant, body control was poor, and the GT has a scary proclivity to pitch and bob in transitions. The steering also felt rather lifeless. We did come up with a neat trick to double the mushy brakes' performance; we dragged our feet out the door.

I agree 110% pushing the stock GT to the limits isn't for the faint of heart. In mid turn unless you hold the wheel straight it tends to get real bouncy and when dicing it up at least in the stock configuration is scary. The car doesn’t make the driver feel confident. I would take my rx7 around a 90 degree turn at 80mph before I would think of doing so in my Elantra. My rx7 handles like it's on rails. No body roll unless you pushing the car to its limits and it's no where near as bad as my Elantra. In fact of all the cars I have driven the only car I would have to say is worse to drive hard would be my friends 99cavy. I haven’t had a chance to ride in any Elantras with modded suspension But from what everyone says the tib sway bar helps a lot. It wouldn't kill Hyundai to do some real work to an elantra. Cut body roll by about 30% and better breaks would be a lot better. And A few extra horses wouldn't hurt either. I would like to see the car making 165at the flywheel.

I decided to make one last comment on this about the breaks of the car being one of the scariest things on the car. I don't like abs. I never have and never will. I learned to thresh hold break and feel safer with that then with abs. Now when I drive up to my moms work the speed limit is 65 so everyone does 70ish. But the yellow light time is next to nothing and a lot of red light cameras on the intersections. I have had my petal to the floor and haven’t been able to lock my wheels up. One night at the burger king I worked at i tired to lock them up but going up to about 40 then takings this little hill type thing and turned a little right to make the right side of the car get light and still wasn't able to get them locked but for a second. The breaks or at least the pads for are cars are piles of crap. I even had my dealership adjust the breaks and everything was within spec. If this was a safe guard they built in to keep people from panicking and locking the wheels up I say that’s a bad decision on there part. I like the breaks of my 17year old car and the handling characteristics of the car more then my Elantra.

But the gas mileage and cruise control are nice not to mention the working windshield wipers
:D

04 elantra cvvt said:
Well, if we are going to do comparisons to sports cars, my Camaro is no contest. I have about 4 grand worth of suspension work in it, and there is no way to make it slide, even if you want to.. But the comparo. was not to other sports cars. BTW, do you have ABS? If so, it is working properly. I still feel that even though our cars do perform a little worse that cars costing 5-8k more, what we save in monthly payments can easily go toward suspension mods. And in a few months of saving in payments, we can easily out manouver those other cars. Just my .02, take it for what it's worth.
I don't have abs. I don't trust it lol. I know compairing my sports car to my Elantra isn't fair. But my moms Honda crv"It's a small suv for those who don't know." has slightly better feeling breaks but alot more bite to them. And less body roll then my car. The Auto-tranny on it is a pos. Hard to explain what it does but it feels broken but it's not. I would auto-x that before my elantra in stock vs. stock configurations. When I went to hyper fest I had the option to run out on the track with everyone else and chose not to because I don't like pushing the car hard. Now spirited driving like a quick jot threw some back roads can be fun as long as you don't push it very hard. My rx7 on the other hand :D :eek: :bowdown: . I would always take my friend down this back road and watch them go to grab what I call the O-shit bar then they relize the car dosn't have them. Man the look on there face is priceless.

"the o-shit bar is that like little loop above the drivers head."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.