Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed before for larger diameter & width rims (i.e. 17's), however, I plan on getting 15's mainly for the weight. The rims I am looking at are 15x6.5 and have an offset of 38. I know I read before that the 7" wide wheels needed at least a 40 mm offset. So, would a 38 mm offset be sufficient for a 6.5" rim?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, you read my mind Elkane. My next question was going to be, at some point I had thought about going with 205/55/15 in addition to the rims listed above. I had used the tire calc on ElantraGTClub and even though the overall diameter was smaller, it was not by much, like 1/3 of an inch - which seems to be within reason not to mess the speedo up much. That may come in handy when and if I decide to get some Eibachs (I like the idea of better handling without too low a drop). Thanks.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
Rdubois said:
The stock wheels have a 38mm offset so as long as you don't go bigger than a 195/60 tire you should be fine.

...and the stock alloys are 45mm at 15x6 ... so a 15x6.5 at 38mm will put you closer to the fender about 3/4 inch, but it may fit with 205/55/15. I have 205/60/15 on the stock alloys with no problems!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I am aware that all 17's are not created equal, and there are many lightweight ones available. I am not aware however of any 17's in the 10 to 12 lb range (what I was initially looking for weight wise in the 15's). Even the 15's that were in that range I did not like the style of, so I am compromising. The pair I am probably going to get (Konig Passports) are 14.5 lbs a piece. I still have a lot of tread left on my stock Michelins, and do not want to lose them. Plus, road conditions around here are not great. The parts dealer at one our local Hyundai dealers said he had 17's on his 01' Elantra, but they just got too messed up because of the road conditions, so he went back to stock. Thanks everyone for putting my mind at ease about this possible setup.

By the way 04" E CVVT, that is a sweet ride you have.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts