Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
O.k. I have searched and can't sem to find the exact info I'm looking for so I figured I ask.....What are the pros and cons of crossdrilled & slotted, crossdrilled only and slotted only.....do they create more heat..or produce less heat...how fast they warp, how well the pads last what is a good combo...stuff like that....Thanks

·
The New Guy
24 Posts
Cross Drilled & Slotted roters are some of the best you can buy depending on what brand they are. The reason for the cross drilled and slotted is to allow more air and cool down basicly produce less heat. I learned the hard way if you like to drive fast and stop fast when you install these rotors buy ceramic pads. You can pick them from napa auto parts for about $53 . They won't wear as fast as cheap pads. When i put the ceramic pads on with my cross drilled and slotted brembo rotors my braking improved majorly. Most companys like brembo off lifetime warrentys against warping and from what i hear their some of the best to buy.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Big brakes will make you lose horsepower since the center of mass for the wheel is further out. They are expensive also. A big brake kit can be over a grand. Just replaceing the rotor can help with venting brake gas, but they dont actually cool better and since you cant clamp down with more force with stock calipers, you are really only helping brake fade. They also have to fit in the same area as the stockers so they cant be much thicker and so can still warp. Pads are a good way to help braking cheaply. Also better fluid can do wonders for brake fade. The best solution is a big brake kit but with the price of the kits, it can be hard to justify unless you log a lot of track time. Better pads, braided lines and DOT 5 fluid will give you the best performance increase for the money. If you auto cross, then maybe rotors. If you plan to track race like i like to do, then big brakes.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Eventualy yeah gonna be auto-crossing...but I had heard about how stock rotors warp pretty easily and I have been getting a good amount of fade...pulled off my rims to check and didn't see the pads worn but I'm thinking about an upgrade next year to include rear disc converision....What are a good size for 16x7 wrapped in 205/50/16's....

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
You could just go with the Tiburon brake upgrade from Jay. Now that he's selling those new-fangled Canadian red aluminum calipers, it's a very nice kit altogether and cheaper than any other big brake kit.

I have them on my car with the regular cast-iron Tib calipers: http://www.gldomain.com/elantra/TibBrakesInstall/

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SWortham said:
You could just go with the Tiburon brake upgrade from Jay. Now that he's selling those new-fangled Canadian red aluminum calipers, it's a very nice kit altogether and cheaper than any other big brake kit.

I have them on my car with the regular cast-iron Tib calipers: http://www.gldomain.com/elantra/TibBrakesInstall/

How much is it and I livein cali......

·
Countersteer forever
2,962 Posts
Hyundia_90250 said:
How much is it and I livein cali......
It's $646 for the whole kit w/ 11" front rotors, aluminum calipers, & pads. Cheaper with the cast iron calipers.

You can call Jay at 1-877-226-1152.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Elantra 2.001, you are exactly right. The ceramic pads are really bad about that. You get a material transfer from the pad to the rotor. When the pad hits the buildup on the rotor, it skips, giving you the illusion of warped rotors. If you don't mind pulling the rotors every 6-10k, they will be fine. If you don't want to, just use the standard semi-metalic pads (Not From AutoZone!!), some good ones. The rotors are a good idea no matter what. You will extend the life of everything in the braking system.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts