Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all!

Here's a problem I have, hope somebody can give a piece of advice.

Elantra '02, had cylinder head replaced on 152,000 miles. Started with "hot soak", for about 6 months, then one day couldn't start it at all, took to a shop - cracked head. They replaced with a rebuilt one. From the day I drove it I noticed that the car idled kinda a little rough, especially when cold and with AC on. And overall power was down. After 500 miles I noticed a knocking/pinging noise on cylinder 4. It was heard in idle when tapping throttle a little, and between 1.5 - 3K RPMs when driving under load. But the noise was not constant. Took it to another shop - they found that timing on the belt was two teeth off and there was a oil leak from crankshaft position sensor. They adjusted the timing and fixed the leak. Car drives MUCH better now, but erratic idle and noise from 4th cylinder is still there. Both shops (including the one that did the head) think that noise is probably coming from the piston rod, which got thermal damage when the head cracked.

Will appreciate any advice/ideas. Thanks.

·
Newbie Forever
887 Posts
Try using 89 or higher octane gas. If they shaved the rebuilt head, your compression is higher than stock.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts