Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought an '01 GLS a couple days ago with 224,000 miles... I'm assuming it's original suspension because it rides kind of rough... Is there any particular brand front and rear struts I should be looking for? From the looks of it I should be able to tackle the job myself once it warms up, but are there any tricks or pointers I should know? Also are there any adjustable struts on the market?

·
Registered
198 Posts
So I bought an '01 GLS a couple days ago with 224,000 miles... I'm assuming it's original suspension because it rides kind of rough... Is there any particular brand front and rear struts I should be looking for? From the looks of it I should be able to tackle the job myself once it warms up, but are there any tricks or pointers I should know? Also are there any adjustable struts on the market?
Adjustable struts are basically coilovers. A coilover is a spring and a strut combined. Raceland is the cheapest, and lots of members on here have them on their car, including myself. I think its like 419 shipped to your door or something like that, which is better than most decent struts out there. Buy the one for the tiburon, they dont make one for the elantra but the tiburon one goes on the same and rides fine, and its adjustable

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will new struts and springs take the vibration out of the steering wheel? It's not terribly bad but is definitely noticeable. I know I'm in need of new tires and an alignment too.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Vibration is mainly tire/rim balance and or tire wear.
Vibration during braking is rotors.

Alignment can cause excessive tire wear which will result it vibration. Alignment itself doesn't usually cause a lot of vibration, it's what it does to the tires is what causes vibration. Gets worse over time.

Check your rims to make sure they are straight.

And of course visual inspection for anything bent, broken, excessively worn in tires, rims, brakes, suspension.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Being as I just bought it a couple days ago it's going to take some time to relearn another vehicle. My first and up until a few days ago my only vehicle was a 2001 Dodge Ram sport single cab.... I put 188,000 miles on it... We were one... Off my soap box now, it's front right tire is near bald on inside and more tread but not much on outside. When I got it the tire pressures were not even close to matching. So I know some new or even good used tires are in my immediate future along with an alignment.

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Air pressure mainly will affect straightness of the car driving down the road. It's good to keep it even. Pulling in one direction can cause wear in certain parts. Which eventually can lead to vibrations.

I'd go with new tires if you're concerned with rough ride. tirerack.com is good source. Look for good ratings on comfort and noise. That will give you a smooth ride.
Have the tires mounted and balanced. Double check the air pressure after they are mounted. Some places are a few PSI off between tires.
If alignment isn't done at same shop, plan the day off and have alignment scheduled at shop you like to be done after new tires. Drive straight there to minimize uneven wear.
Only get alignment with the new tires, because the uneven wear on the old tires will cause the car to sit differently and the car will be aligned to those old tires, not your new ones.

New tires (good tires, not cheap ones cheap tires ride rough)
Balanced properly
Proper air pressure
alignment

All will make your car ride better.

These are the tires I got and they were like a totally different world over the OEM Hankook and Kumho I previously had. Very good ride, comfort, smoothness, and very low noise compared to other tires. Elantras are not sound proof, but these were impressive on sound level.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...96HR5ASC&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Michelin are really good tires, that's the ones I wanted, but couldn't afford those at the time. They are the OEM supplier for Mercedes.

·
road race warrior
297 Posts
If you are looking at adjustable struts, check out the Koni Yellow's for a Tiburon. They are inserts which work for the Elantra. Its a bit more work(and alot more money) but they are fully adjustable and have much better rates than any other strut on the market. Coilovers in the winter are a pain in the butt and if they arent coated correctly will corrode like crazy making them hard to adjust.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I will probably be looking at regular struts. Will the springs that are currently on my car be ok to be used with kyb struts? Or considering their age should I be looking more for a complete set like what Monroe offers? I'm not necessarily looking to drop my ride height, just a good performing suspension that will be smooth and corners better than my old stockers.

·
road race warrior
297 Posts
if they arent broken the springs are fine to reuse. if you want a bit sharper handling try finding the eibach springs, they do not drop the car more than 1.0" and ride perfectly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.