Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After calling around to a couple of places and ultimately hearing that 'Redline MT-90 was illegal for sale in Canada because the warning label is wrong', I ended up calling Redline directly in the hopes of suggesting they change their label. The lady I talked to said that it wasn't illegal, and she ships to Canada all the time.

Long story short... she provided a place in Southern Ontario that sells the fluid (in case if you're in Canada and were told it was illegal or are looking for it):

Johnson Research & Development
Mississauga, ON
(905)822-7223
M-F 9-6
Sat. 10-4

I pointedly asked the guy at Johnson if it was illegal and he said no (if it was I doubt he would confess though). So, I'm not sure what is going on with that idea. I've since heard that since the label doesn't have French on it - is the reason.

Has anyone tried the Royal Purple stuff? It seems to be more readily available in Canada than Redline.

·
Premium Member
1,809 Posts
it sucks compared to Redline. My trans started making noise with it and shifted like it was full of poo and oatmeal in the winter... and I live on the Gulf coast. So my winter is your summer.

·
Where's My Boomstick?
5,486 Posts
Ive posted about this once or twice before, but ill say it again. dont run royal purple in our transmissions, never heard anyone that had good results.

I had it in there for about a week, couldnt shift 1-2 or 2-1 without a terrible grinding.

maybe you can buy some redline on ebay or another online retailer that will just ship it to canada. either do that, or just go to hyundai and get their fluid, which works just fine.

·
Turbo back in!!!
310 Posts
I live in Quebec and bought some MT-90 from a local shop when I did my clutch swap last summer.... I did not have any issues getting the oil. I don't know who told you this but they were clearly misinformed.

P.S. That oil is some of the best! You won't regret it.

·
Teach
4,103 Posts
Royal Purple is a combo GL4/GL5. Having the GL5 component makes it bad for the MT. The Redline MT90 is a GL4 only fluid which is why it works better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This might be a late response but I figure it might prove helpful to others in the GTA. I bought a few litres of MT-90 at a local shop in Newmarket called Overdrive Automotive (I'm not trying to sell anything here). Partsource most likely will not have it, Crappy Tire don't bother. Performance Improvements might have it... they might be around $18/L. Overdrive charged me $16/L. I know our southern bretheren might find that a bit pricey but we have a much smaller aftermarket community north of the border. Recent swap took less than 2.5L and the shifter feels much smoother through the gears. I'm still getting the 1-2 grinding at redline but it takes a lot more aggression to make it grind. I'd say it's about 50-75% improvement. Send me a PM if you want more details.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts