Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would the S-AFC work if my o2 sensors are blown out?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe you should clarify what you mean by "work".
If your asking will it display a/f information, it will, but the readings may not be correct.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
performance wise mostly; will i be able to maximize the SAFC to the fullest without the sensors?
Wow i didnt know this thing gave out A/F readings

·
scared like cheese
1,083 Posts
I didn't think that you could monitor the a/f ratio on the safc but you will still be able to add or subtract fuel if the 02 sensors are fried. You will probably have other problems from the ecu though if you're 1st sensor is dead. Best bet is to get the regular parts of the car in working order before you try to squeeze more power out of it.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spoke to someone at hyundai about those sensors and he said if the cats are removed then its not affecting anything

·
Large Member
3,538 Posts
The O2 sensors aren't there just to help your ECU keep your car running with as little emissions as possible. On most cars, the ECU uses the signals from the O2 sensors (along with the data from the MAF sensor, etc) to adjust the Air/Fuel mixture. It probably depends on how the sensor failed; whether it's giving a lean-error code (as most do if they fail or are not accurately sensing the exhaust gasses), or if it's giving no signal at all. Either way, it must be annoying to have the check engine light on all the time.

Your car may be running too rich and you may be experiencing a decrease in mileage and power due to a not-optimal air-fuel mixture already if you have damaged or misplaced O2 sensors. By replacing them with working ones, you'll probably experience better engine performance without any other tweaking.

I agree with 2GTS; put in new O2 sensors first and give the ECU the proper input before trying to tweak anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You just need to make sure your first 02 sensor works that is the one that helps the ECU determine fuel maps based on the air fuel ratio. If the first sensor didn't work you would probabley know it cause your car would run like carap. As for you second sensor I wouldn't worry about it just there to make sure your cat is functioning properly and if you dont have cats you are getting a cell anyways.This brings me to my next question how do you know your sensor are bad, did you hook up and ODBII scan tool to the car your self???

·
Super Hero
579 Posts
and the valve seats, then the guides, potential screw up the swirl design of the combustion chamber, foul the plugs, the injector tips. I guess that also supposes that if will run richer and richer. Is that right? COuld it go real lean? That would f things up right now.

Hey you may make it a couple of hundred miles, but at what cost? Seems way cheaper to park it and replace a $40 (not sure on the price...get the Bosch) o2 sensor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts