Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Beta Accent
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you guys dont mind, I have a few questions about the turbo box.

1)Is its purpose to put the car into open loop?

2)How does this benifit me?, Does the ecm not care about rich fuel trims in open loop?

3) Can I activate it without the smt6? Like with a hobs switch instead?

4) Am I in open loop at WOT?

Thanks

·
Beta Accent
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes in a few days, Ill have the turbo system done. I have a 2001 accent with the beta 2 and 1.6 ecm. For tuning I have emanage ultimate, 290cc inj, walbro fuel pump and a wideband. Thanks Denis.

·
Eldiablo owner
306 Posts
does the e-manage have a wire activated by boost or other functions?
if not then worst case you could use an adjustable hobbs switch
so if you want one time to kick in the GB ;-)

with the hoobs switch you will put the ecu in open loop at your preset pressure usually around 3 psi,that way it gives you more control over the fuel you will hget into the engine ( aka make it runnign richer that what the ecu wants)
it also gives you a bit smoother timing curve at part throttle

I've got a 2001 accent with a 1.6 running the turbo box,extra injector spacer and turbo box
been running around 17-20 psi for all summer long without any problem

·
Beta Accent
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help Denis. The turbo box wires into the TPS, correct? I dont quite understand what it does? Does it trick the computer into thinking Im at WOT? Am I in open loop at wide open throttle?

Also how do I avoid the Check engine light code "long term fuel trims too rich"

·
Eldiablo owner
306 Posts
yup it tricks the computer making it think you're at wot wich put the ecu in open loop

that alone should cure most of your LTFT and STFT problems

·
Registered
600 Posts
or trick the o2 sensor into thinking its running like its supposed to under partial throttle with boost (boost activated piece of electronic equip) and then under wot (already in open loop) it wont matter if it sees boost.

·
Registered
600 Posts
the O2 is a bit harder to do and won't give you the benefit of a more conservative timing with boost at part throttle
well if any detonation occurs due to too much advanced timing the knock sensor should pick this up and retard to avoid anything by a couple degrees (maybe 2-3) at a time until it cant hear it anymore. these days knock sensors react extremely fast. IF the timing is too high with boost you can run a risk of blowing your ring lands out (extreme case) but it can happen. but yes your probably ultimately right timing may be high during partial throttle and boost but it allows for quick spool and maximum power production while the timing is high and the ecu doesn't see knock. none the less it SHOULD stop the stft and ltft from going off the charts and the knock sensor should correct this if it sees any detonation from this.

·
Eldiablo owner
306 Posts
chinoiboi, nah we're putting the ecu in open loop by tricking out the tps,
no side effects so far

rush,
at one time our first turbo box were acting on the o2 sensors and other sensors,it was working quite nicely but on some car the ecu didn't like what it was "reading",side effect was a "stumble" each time you were reaching the transition point

for the timing,you're right, our knock sensors reacts fast,but we need to take in factor that to retard timing it does need to see a knocking condition
and that once it sees knockit will retard timign more then needed

·
Registered
600 Posts
chinoiboi, nah we're putting the ecu in open loop by tricking out the tps,
no side effects so far

rush,
at one time our first turbo box were acting on the o2 sensors and other sensors,it was working quite nicely but on some car the ecu didn't like what it was "reading",side effect was a "stumble" each time you were reaching the transition point

for the timing,you're right, our knock sensors reacts fast,but we need to take in factor that to retard timing it does need to see a knocking condition
and that once it sees knockit will retard timign more then needed
true. there will probably be a transition point that it may stumble a bit but wont be that big of a deal. it should be ok.

·
Final Fantasy 7=Teh Sex
3,840 Posts
true. there will probably be a transition point that it may stumble a bit but wont be that big of a deal. it should be ok.
The revision 1 of the turbo box had this issues, the new one that has been out and I currently have has no issues, and the transition is almost instant.

·
Registered
4,605 Posts
ok heres a question, will this work with my Unichip? I know its meant for the SMT and dual rail but I just cant afford them right now with Christmas coming and all. I would like to jump on this deal so I at least have a start on things.

·
Eldiablo owner
306 Posts
depends on wich fue linejctor set up your running..
4 larger and a 5th injector?
4 larger injectors?
4 stock and a 5th injector?

to activate the turbo box you would needa hobbs switch or other boost activated switch

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
So you guys realize that you can just splice in a boost sensative switch (couple bucks) inbetween the +5v and the signal wire on the TPS wires, with a resistor to bring the voltage down to between 4.2 and 4.8 volts, and thats your turbo box. I don't see why you can't use that with the unichip, or any fuel tuner for that matter....?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Looking at this thread, getting interested in buying this for my setup!
Can anyone tell me how to buy and knowing it should have a DIY for install

1 - 20 of 25 Posts