Hyundai Elantra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been doing some research on my 60,000 mile service coming up and wanted to reference the HMA website and double-check the Maintenance Schedule (Comparing my Owner's Manual vs. The HMA Website). My car has 52,000 on the ODO so gotta start saving. Come to find out that on the HMA website, the Tranny Fluid Flush/Replace is recommended at the.....sit down before you read on....105,000-mile service. That's right, not every 30,000-mile service, only 105,000 mile. Which is weird because I just took my car in to have the "Brake Light Switch" replaced (My vehicle Serial Number wasn't in the recall, but still a WARRANTY item) and they did their usual check of everything; filters, fluids, etc...and the Service Manager asked me the question, "HAVE YOU EVER HAD YOUR CAR SERVICED? IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVEN'T HAD ANY WORK DONE TO IT AT ALL." Not only did that piss me off, he proceeded to show me my filters (Which were a LIGHT gray since I just replaced my Cabin Air & Engine Air filter 4 months ago, they still had white...lol). He was happy to point out also that my tranny fluid wasn't pink, but brown, signaling that I'VE NEVER CHANGED MY TRANNY FLUID (not true---30,000..DUH). After he put on a show in front of 3 of the tech's, I showed him on the filters that I had marked the "DATE OF INSTALL" on the side and showed him my 30,000 mile tranny flush receipt, along with my own receipt for Synthetic Engine Oil change just 5,000 miles ago (Did myself). I said to the Service Manager and the Tech working on my car, "Put my car back together now and get the F*CK out of my sight before I take this to your manager." He handed me my keys, a FREE oil change, and I was on my way.

Back to what I was going to say, had to get that off my chest. My tranny fluid is brown and will need a service. But I read in a thread somewhere on this site that someone had mentioned a 105,000-mile service for the tranny, so that's why I researched it. Any ideas from the TECH's or anyone else on if this is a mistake on the website or what? At the dealership, they have a HUGE sign posted, "MUST SHOW DOCUMENTATION OF 30, 60, & 90,000 SERVICE TO PRESERVE 100,000-MILE POWERTRAIN WARRANTY." Is this a bunch of B.S. or what? Thanks in advance!

P.S. If you can't find the "Scheduled Maintenance" Link, here ya go! CLICK

·
2003 Elantra Owner
3,782 Posts
Brown is normal for the transmission fluid color in Hyundais. I think it's from heat, but normal operating temp heats.

Had a transmission seal replaced under warranty around 45,000 miles. Dealership service manager tried to deny the service because of the body kit and other modifications on my car. Service manager said if there was any drive train modification no matter how small, even a CAI on the car he would deny the warranty coverage. I told him to put the car on the lift and inspect the car because the car was modified by a Hyundai dealership and the drive train was fully factory, I opened the hood and showed him there wasn't a CAI. He said that if he put the car on the lift and found anything, I would pay for the service. I said I need the seal replaced regardless, but I know for a fact it's under warranty. I felt like he was trying to get me to say I would pay for the work before the car entered the shop. After work was preformed, service manager came up to me and showed me the work was covered under warranty. He didn't really say much, I assume trying to avoid having to apologize to a kid. I was 19 at that time.

Point is they never requested to see a 30,000 trans flush service, or a 30,000 mile service receipt.

I had my fluid changed at around 60,000 miles. I did this because it was taking the transmission a while to build up pressure at start up and I had replaced the radiator which opened the transmission lines. No problems since the flush. Didn't take long for the fluid color to change back to brown.

The site says to inspect at 30,000 miles / replace at 100,000 miles. Owners manual states the same.

So I would say showing documentation of the 30,000 service will just be the service checklist. Which means the fluid was inspected, not replace the transmission fluid.

My local dealer iFrames that website into theirs:
http://www.hyundaiofmyrtlebeach.com/MaintenanceSchedules

·
Acountabilibuddy
4,862 Posts
105k miles normal usage, 30k severe usage, and based on Hyundai's definition, pretty much everyone is severe usage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts