Hyundai Elantra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I just recently (within the last month) purchased a 2011 Elantra GLS. I really like it. Unfortunately I noticed some scratches on the center shifter bezel after wiping some smudges off with a napkin (!). Is this something that can be fixed easily on my own or do you think it's worth taking it to the dealer (at the risk of them laughing at me)? Here's some pics so you can get an idea:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the warm welcome. I agree that it was probably inevitable but I was hoping to maintain that pristine new car look for at least a few more months!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Maybe one of those scratch removal kits that they use on eye glasses? You could try that in a small area. Can't hurt what is already messed up.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
Much of the "chorme" on a car is not really chrome. It's plastic that has been overlaid with fake-chrome. It is nowhere near as durable as actual metal. I haven't been inside a 2011 to know if it's real metal or not, but if it's only sprayed plastic, any polish for metal/glass/etc. is probably going to make it worse. Take a little liquid wax you would use on the paint and try to apply it. It won't make it completely go away, but may lessen it.

example of process:

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Oops, I should have said I was referring to the stuff they use on plastic lenses. Also that just looks like black plastic that has the scratches on it, not chrome. The liquid wax idea sounds better though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are correct that it's black plastic with scratches, definitely not chrome. I bought some Meguiar's PlastX polish today and it removed most but not all of the scratches. I find it odd that they would use such scratch sensitive material in a "high traffic" area (a freakin' napkin did the damage!).

·
Premium Member
25,975 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts